collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 11763 times)

Offline Rick_avfc

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
This whole selling / dropping Darren Bent makes me mad.  People saying he doesnt run the channels etc etc.  Are you tell me that Carrol would run the channels (im just using him as an example).  Say if we get rid of Bent and get a striker who runs the channels, who will be in the box to bury the ball?  errr no one so we will be back to square one and start slating the strike force and then the manager for selling a proven goal scorer.  The problem is that we have never replaced Young and Downing with the equivalent skill set or better so of course Bent is going to be starved of service and goals but replacing him with another striker who will run a little bit more is not going to solve the problem now is it?  We would be worse off.  The problem lies with the midfield and defence in my opinion and that really needs to be addressed but looks like we have to wait until the summer for any of that to be done.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »
This whole selling / dropping Darren Bent makes me mad.  People saying he doesnt run the channels etc etc.  Are you tell me that Carrol would run the channels (im just using him as an example).  Say if we get rid of Bent and get a striker who runs the channels, who will be in the box to bury the ball?  errr no one so we will be back to square one and start slating the strike force and then the manager for selling a proven goal scorer.  The problem is that we have never replaced Young and Downing with the equivalent skill set or better so of course Bent is going to be starved of service and goals but replacing him with another striker who will run a little bit more is not going to solve the problem now is it?  We would be worse off.  The problem lies with the midfield and defence in my opinion and that really needs to be addressed but looks like we have to wait until the summer for any of that to be done.

Exactly.

It makes you wonder just what they do in training when you constantly see long, lofted balls aimed at Bent. He rarely has any hope of gaining any advantage from them and usually loses possession immediately. As much as I'm a fan of Bent, let's face it, he's not even up to Heskey's standard in those circumstances. It's just not his game. Play to your strengths is what we must do.

It's on a par with the midfield constantly bottling the forward pass and passing back to Given so that he can hoof it forward and lose possession.

How is it that no one at the club can see this?

Offline Merv

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
Bent is the least of our problems, hence John's original post about the state of our defence. That - and our central midfield - are top priorities to address.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
Bent is the least of our problems, hence John's original post about the state of our defence. That - and our central midfield - are top priorities to address.

Exactly!  We need to sort out this leaky defence that really has no clue how to defend set pieces for a start and a midfield that lacks any leadership and creativity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal