collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 11770 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
My thoughts on suggesting N'Zog as left back is that I think it's largely a no lose scenario. He couldn't possibly be worse than Warnock, and he offers the attacking threat I think full backs need nowadays. As I say his early career was a left back as well, so he has some experience in the position.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »
We cant afford to play Bent,Gabby,keane and ireland in same line up,leaves midfield too light,and no protection for the two worst full backs in the premiership( and lower)

I agree. Gardner did well on the right second half against Wolves, and so did Albrighton down the left.

Gabby does not do a great job in protecting his full back, Ashley Young was brilliant at it in fairness.

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
Nzogbia at left back is the kind of radical idea that works! Im sure he played there for the Geordies a few times.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 03:15:42 PM »
Bad idea! let's try that Stevens kid.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »
Bad idea! let's try that Stevens kid.

My original idea is a bit of 'mix & match' to try different things and see what works, so I say try them both and see who's best there.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 03:26:31 PM »
Good idea.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
Delph at centre back? How many penalties would we concede?!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
N'Zogbia played lots of times for Newcastle at left back and did very well. I'm not opposed to the idea.
I think fundamentally we can try and sharpen the defenders we have up until better players can be acquired. However, we just have to stick to getting at teams and not sitting back soaking up pressure because we're as absorbent as plastic.
Yesterday was a classic example of this.

The more we have the ball and the more we play in the oppnents half, the less our defence has to do and the less they have to do, the better.

Incidentally, Delph at centre half is the perhaps the worst suggestion I have ever heard about anything ever. It's the Sinclair C5 of footballing ideas.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:31:35 PM by Mazrim »

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
As well as needing to improve defence, we must learn to retain the ball. We have been giving it away so cheaply for years now. It is pathetic.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »
Surprised at the calls for Cuellar, he was poor yesterday and had a shocker at RB against Swansea. I think he's already moved on mentally.

I honestly don't think we have many realistic options to change things it's a question of muddling through until the summer and rebuilding then.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
I also think the second half yesterday exposed Clark's inexperience in midfield, he's done very well there previously but the speed and movement of Ramsey in particular exposed him time and again.

Offline supertom

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
How bout Heskey at centre back? The best game I can recall him having in recent memory (well, not that recent) was him playing there for Wigan, last game of the season a few years back, with them needing a result to stay up. He was shockingly immense.

Maybe I'm joking. Maybe I'm not.  ;)

To be fair though, can he do any worse than Collins this season?

But yeah, a whole new back line would be nice. If not for Given we'd be in even worse shite right now.

N'Zog at left back is a good shout. Defensively can't be any worse than Warnock and would at least offer something going forward. It might also be a good way to fit him in the side effectively right now, because I wouldn't drop Ireland or Alby for him and one of them would have to make way.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »
There needs to be a major overhaul, we have players out of position, players that haven't gelled, we have a back 4 that don't communicate, Hutton clearance of the line yesterday slamming the ball into an Arsenal player and then into the net was nothing short of total panic, Bent's tackle back was IMO frustration by a player that wanted to be re-engaged with the game.

Question is not what we would do, what is the chairman going to do, if he hasn't backed McLiesh now why will he in the summer when there is every likelihood that things will be even tighter , not just globally, but falling gates, lack of achievements, can't see it.

There is a rumour (and it probably is just that) that Lerner is offering the club up for sale and this lot in Quatar are interested.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 04:16:47 PM »
I don't want fear overcoming me every time one of our current full backs gets the ball so there is little point in bumbling on with what we've got.  The pair of them are beyond any revelation in the art of playing football let alone defending that might beset them on the training ground.

Give any combination of Lichaj, Herd, N'Zog, Cuellar the positions as all of them can defend adequately instantly improving the team.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »
There was always one pretty consistent thing about supporting villa until last season and that was that we'd be strong in defence. We always had great defenders from McGrath, Teale, Southgate and Ehiogu through to Staunton, Mellberg, Laursen and even Dunne in his first season.

I have never seen a villa team defend so poorly as we have last season and this. Watching villa you were always sure we would battle and keep things tight making it hard for teams to score against us. Scoring goals was always our problem (except maybe the MON era). Now we just look a shambles at the back. No leadership, no lionheart, no calming influence just panic and hoofing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal