collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:06:24 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 11:00:31 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Drummond
[Today at 10:52:47 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:50:46 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 11768 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
What would you do?
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:51:15 PM »
We're crap at the back.  Even if we didn't know it before yesterday, we certainly know it now.  The question is though - how do we fix it?

Working on the assumption that there are to be no further transfer deals done, how should we look to tighten up at the back?  We tried Clark at LB against Wolves, which didn't work.  We brought Cuellar in against Arsenal twice now and have conceded 5 in those two games - all stupid goals that were our own fault.  The answer may be to work with them harder on the training pitch, but ultimately it's hard not to conclude that they aren't good enough.

I'd be looking to freshen things up at the back, which has the added benefit of keeping them on their toes and worried for their place, by using a combination of Clark at CB, Stevens at LB and Herd (when fit) at RB, although one of Herd or Clark would be needed in midfield at a time.  Not wholesale changes, but trying other combinations out and seeing what works.  It may be that the kick up the arse of being dropped for a few games sees improved performances from some one or two.  First name sitting out would be Dunne, just to show nobody is safe.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »
They need to be moved on. They're not going to be, so any tinkering at the back isn't going to do much unless we've got a future bobby moore coming through.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »
Carlos in for Collins. Didn't think he put a foot wrong yesterday.

Tell Hutton he's not a bloody wing back and to focus on his defending. The amount of times Carlos had to cover for him yesterday was pathetic. This left big spaces in the centre for Dunne to cover alone. Often it's Albrighton that looks like the full back as Hutton goes walk about.

Offline Merv

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
Tough, at this stage of the season and with no real possibility of recruiting anyone, and given our limitations elsewhere - ie, I'd be playing Clark at CB in an ideal world, but he's needed in midfield and I'd keep him there, where I think he's done well.

I'd weigh up the situation in the league, assume we're probably going to be safe, and start playing Lichaj at RB and Stevens at LB straight away - I think we have problems at full back that are more worrying than CB. In the middle, it's a Cuellar and Dunne pairing. Clark remains in a defensive midfield role.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
Get on the training ground with the defenders we have, work hard hour after hour. Work particularly at set pieces and corners, and work at distributing the ball out to your midfield players . Then work some more.
Boring suggestion I know, but the best I can come up with to minimise mistakes and to retain possession of the football more. 

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »
leftfield suggestion but try sticking delpth in at centre half. He's never gonna be a midfielder and maybe he could cover for Dunne's speed deficiencies a bit more than collins or carlos . Again i'd have clarke in the middle but as others have said we need him in midfield. Carlos on the right and erm..well thats when my cunning plan falls apart a bit.....

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »
leftfield suggestion but try sticking delpth in at centre half. He's never gonna be a midfielder and maybe he could cover for Dunne's speed deficiencies a bit more than collins or carlos

Other then the fact he's only 5' 9", has never played CB and is currently playing for Leeds, that's actually a pretty.....................actually, no it isn't!

To be fair though Carlos at RB would solve one problem, at least in terms of the defensive side of the position.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »
I think at the moment there is very little we can do, I'd drop Hutton for Lichaj and when fit I might play N'Zog at left back as he's played there in the past. There needs to be serious surgery done in the summer and the club needs to reassess it's approach.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
leftfield suggestion but try sticking delpth in at centre half. He's never gonna be a midfielder and maybe he could cover for Dunne's speed deficiencies a bit more than collins or carlos

Other then the fact he's only 5' 9", has never played CB and is currently playing for Leeds, that's actually a pretty.....................actually, no it isn't!

To be fair though Carlos at RB would solve one problem, at least in terms of the defensive side of the position.

yep, as you say you've got the height issue with delpth but there's been plenty of smallish good centre halfs The trouble is we've haven't got the squad size to replace like for like so somewhere along the line someone would have to play out of position and see if that improves matters. I suppose we could bring Beye back.....

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
My views are that every one of the defenders is a liability and has to go. I appreciate it cant happen by the end of this window though!! You shouldnt make wholesale changes in one go but when you have Frank Spencer playing in your back four in a number of positions you have to do something. Lichai is back just in time we should have Herd back soon Stevens is getting game time and with the emergence of Gardner we may be able to drop Clark back. There are options to get us to the end of the season. Long term we have Derrick Williams Joshua Webb Bradley Lewis and Oli Stevenson so all these can be the back up. So in the summer get rid of the lot of them. Get Clyne in cheap also look at McFadzean of Crawley. This season is damage limitation but in the summer BOMB them out.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
I think the NZogbia at left back shout is a brilliant one. He has the pace, and it could allow him time to settle while being in the side and contributing.

At right back Cuellar is a must for me.

But we also need to make sure they are then protected well, both the full backs from the flanks and the centre backs through the middle. Clark and Herd together maybe when he is fit, with Petrov taking a wee break? If you have Ireland, Albrighton, Agbonlahor and Bent in front, you need to be protecting the back 4. 2 sitters in Herd and Clark might give us a bit more control.

Then sit Collins and Dunne down and tell them they are being monitored, closely, and every needless hoof, moment of madness, losing a man from a corner etc, will be a mark against them.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
New back four of
Lichaj Cuellar Dunne Stevens
Playing wingers to support the full backs too. So i'd play Albrighton and N'zogbia.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »
              Given
Cuellar Dunne Clark N'Zogbia
       Gardner Petrov
Ireland Keane Gabby
            Bent

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »
Trying N'Zogbia at left back is something that didn't occur to me, but I do think is an excellent shout.

Offline spirit of 82

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
We cant afford to play Bent,Gabby,keane and ireland in same line up,leaves midfield too light,and no protection for the two worst full backs in the premiership( and lower)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal