collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why do I give valuable time...  (Read 16749 times)

Offline Kingthing

Re: Why do I give valuable time...
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »
Because if you went to Chelsea you'd know why, get over it, move on and enjoy the good times.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 11:42:42 PM »
Supporting Villa is a bit like having a pet dog.

Not a pedigree or anything fancy, but a likeable kind of breed, say a Collie, or maybe a Labrador. It doesn't do anything very fancy - it won't do tricks, doesn't carry your paper back from the newsagent or anything like that - but it is pretty loveable and you've become stupidly attached to it.

Most mornings it bounces into your bedroom, tail wagging, and nudges your face with its wet nose to wake you up, and you think how glad you are to have it in your life, you love that old mutt.

The only problem is that, every now and then, rather than nudge you lovingly, it vomits into your open, snoring mouth, just when you're not expecting it, and you start to have fantasies about sticking it in a sack with a couple of bricks and throwing the fucking thing in the cut.

I have two labradors...

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »
I've never been a season ticket holder because I have to work shifts, including quite a few weekends. I've always gone to quite a lot of home games, though, probably upwards of 10-12 a season for many years. This season, however, I haven't been at all, and the sad thing is, I probably won't.

My reasons are similar to many of those given by others in this thread; basically, I don't feel that either the management or quite a lot of the players at the club give a fuck any more, so why should I? Why should I give up my time and a pretty big slice of my money (in increasingly dodgy times as far as employment goes) to watch a team that's pretty much guaranteed to disappoint and frustrate? I was horrified when we hired McLeish as manager (not because of where he came from but because I was pretty convinced he was a shit manager), but his appointment was a symptom of our sharp decline, not a cause, IMO.You can call me a fair weather supporter if you like, but after following the Villa for 46 years I feel I've earned the right to withhold my active support if that's how I feel. I'll be back one day - I just don't know when.

Yesterday morning my wife and I were discussing whether or not to go and see a film that afternoon. It was a close call, but in the end I decided to watch the match instead. No prizes for guessing which option I wished I'd taken come 6 o'clock last night.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:55:48 AM by Astral Weeks »

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 10:16:28 AM »
I love these threads!

Look, if you have had enough, or can't justify the cost, or you missus has found something better for you to do, then stop going! Watching football is just a hobby, a pastime, something you do at the weekend, if you think you can give it up then carry on.
Villa will carry on without you, the rest of us will go when we can or when we feel like it.
It really isn't important enough that we need yet another "I've had enough, I'm giving up" thread every time we lose.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Look, if you have had enough, or can't justify the cost, or you missus has found something better for you to do, then stop going! Watching football is just a hobby, a pastime, something you do at the weekend, if you think you can give it up then carry on.
Villa will carry on without you, the rest of us will go when we can or when we feel like it.
It really isn't important enough that we need yet another "I've had enough, I'm giving up" thread every time we lose.

Have you read the thread, Dave?

Bar a couple of posts which could be read that way, it isn't one of those threads at all. In fact, it is largely the opposite.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
Reading this thread it's heartening to see that many people are still sanguine about continuing to support the team even though the team is in a period of decline with so few indications of hope for better things to come. Good for you. I wish I could still be the same. I gave up my season ticket in the mid 80's at the end of a season when I could only recall one game that I would have attended during the season had I known beforehand how bad the rest would have been. It was not just that we'd played appallingly for two or three seasons, (I'd happily stood on the Holte all through the 60's, and boy were we shit then) it was because of the contrast between winning the European Cup and a rapid decline with seemingly no hope of redemption. The contrast was just too much for me to stomach. It was not enjoyable in any sense of the word. It was just too painful.

I know we didn't exactly win the European Cup with MON, but there was hope of progress and better things to come. It's so hard to see that now.

I go to few games these days, but being a Villa fan never leaves you despite what your brain might tell you. I watched the game on my computer yesterday. I punched the air and screamed YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS like a schoolboy when Bent scored. I am 65.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
I went with my mates to Vale Park on Saturday to see them play Plymouth. Pre-match we were chatting to a group of Plymouth fans about the state of their club. Despite everything they were still prepared to travel up from Devon on a freezing day to watch their team, because they love the club and that’s what they do. Speaking to the friends of my Vale supporting mates, I got the same story. Both of these teams have won the square route of jack sh** through their history and most young Vale fans will not remember the glory years of Rudge, just dire Div2 football.

Our great club has been blessed with a history that these two teams can only dream of. Virtually all of us have been to Wembley, most of us have seen us win a trophy and some of us have witnessed a life-changing night in the De Kuip. I know that yesterday hurts and we’re in the dumps right now, but I best most of you that went to Arsenal yesterday had a great time pre-match and probably a good post-match moan. Enjoy it for what it is and remember that we will have our time. Not now and maybe it will take year, but we will, just like Vale flirted with the Championship play-offs in 1997 and Plymouth a few year ago.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »
No season ticket for me next year.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 10:47:48 AM »
Simple. It's family.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 10:57:57 AM »

Bar a couple of posts which could be read that way, it isn't one of those threads at all. In fact, it is largely the opposite.

Exactly. I just wondered what it is that makes people keep going back when it only ever seems to get us down.

Perhaps Villa are the football equivalent of Heroin (and I'm making this basis on pure hearsay as I've never take the drug) - it's addictive, the initial feeling is fantastic and then you have the comedown, which is shit and doesn't compensate for the high, but then you keep needing another hit.

Aston Villa: The Future is Brown.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:06:55 AM by Can Bent Be Bettered!?!? »

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 11:05:33 AM »
My kids have been to Derby (A) Fulham (A) Arsenal (H) Swansea (H) and yesterday They looked horrified when I said they were also going on Wednesday

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »
My kids have been to Derby (A) Fulham (A) Arsenal (H) Swansea (H) and yesterday They looked horrified when I said they were also going on Wednesday

I'm getting on to Childline. That's child abuse.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »

Have they been naughty at school or something?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »
I avoided it and told my mates to keep quiet as I was at a family birthday, I was nearly home when my dipstick mate sent me a joke completely ruined it but in a way I'm glad he did. I watched it on fast forward, shocking 2nd half.

I'm used to it. Will still put myself through it next week. It's what we do

Was that why Villa can never own a dog?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 12:12:09 PM »

I have now (properly), apologies to most.
But the point still stands, after just about every defeat or poor performance someone comes on here bleating about how shit it all is and how they are seriously thinking of not going again until [insert current target of popular anger] has gone.
Good, don't go, it's football, it's not really very important at all in the grand scheme of things.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal