collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why do I give valuable time...  (Read 16864 times)

Offline jembob

Re: Why do I give valuable time...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »
 I had the chance to go to Emirates today all expenses paid, first class travel, hospitality etc but I decided to go to a family get together instead. It really wasn't a tough choice - it may have been in previous seasons but with our current defensive form I could only see disaster. No doubt it would have ended with a scuffle in the posh seats which would have annoyed my boss so I'm glad I found other things to do.

See you all Wednesday.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:32:06 PM by jembob »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 07:39:32 PM »
I don't give my valuable time and rarely do these days.

My time is more valuable to me than it is to the club, and they have made that perfectly clear in the last couple of years.

It still fuckin' hurts though.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »
it's because it's so unimportant that makes it so bloody important.

I've suffered all the Big Upsets; Divorce, death of a parent,collapse of a business which made me homeless with a newborn child. All of which I dusted myself down from and got on with it afterwards.

But Villa defeats really do cripple me emotionally, I think it's because I'm not in control of the situation. Today's game doesn't feel so bad but after Swansea, for example , I was gutted for days. So silly really and I wish I could give it up.....but bloody hell did I leap around like a kid again when Bent scored today.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 07:48:59 PM »
Heroes and villains, THE villa match day official program. Doesn't have the same ring to it....

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »
I avoided it and told my mates to keep quiet as I was at a family birthday, I was nearly home when my dipstick mate sent me a joke completely ruined it but in a way I'm glad he did. I watched it on fast forward, shocking 2nd half.

I'm used to it. Will still put myself through it next week. It's what we do

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
I have a season ticket and spent over £2k on tickets for family this season. I ahve been to 1 home game since Wigan at him back in October was it? Not because I ahd things clashign or family weddings etc, purely because I could not be bothered going to watch a football club who sole aim is to not get relegated. Nothing more just don;t get relegated,in the hope that one day we might fluke a cup run or a top 7 finish.

Why should I give my time up for that? Never in all the 30 years I have supported this club have they ever not gone out to compete. Even Doug would never admit to what Lerner has got us looking to do.

Well no more for me. I won;t be back this season as I have better thigns to do with my time than give my days away for those shower fo wankers.

Offline ez

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 08:14:01 PM »
The problem I have is we're really not getting anything back from the club.

Yep. We're waiting for something to happen and nothing is.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
Supporting Villa is a bit like having a pet dog.

Not a pedigree or anything fancy, but a likeable kind of breed, say a Collie, or maybe a Labrador. It doesn't do anything very fancy - it won't do tricks, doesn't carry your paper back from the newsagent or anything like that - but it is pretty loveable and you've become stupidly attached to it.

Most mornings it bounces into your bedroom, tail wagging, and nudges your face with its wet nose to wake you up, and you think how glad you are to have it in your life, you love that old mutt.

The only problem is that, every now and then, rather than nudge you lovingly, it vomits into your open, snoring mouth, just when you're not expecting it, and you start to have fantasies about sticking it in a sack with a couple of bricks and throwing the fucking thing in the cut.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
My brain must be addled because I have no desire to jump under a bus. Wednesday will come and go. Pushing a trolley round Tesco at a weekend is not my idea of fun.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »
As pissed off as get with them, I'll end up going down again at some point. I'm pretty pissed off with the club at the mo, I feel like the board duped the fans a bit with all the 'bright future' stuff and as a consequence I can't be arsed to hand over my cash. This one man boycott is easy for me to keep up though to be honest, I work every Saturday and every Wednesday evening.

I'll be back, of course I will. It's like family.

Offline ez

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Makes me think of that down time under Doug when the supporters said sell us our season tickets. O'Leary's last season? Can see a similar scenario in the summer.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
Because, like most football fans, it's about following your club not winning things. Most people will go through their whole life without seeing their team win much, we're probably better off than the fans of all but a handful of clubs in that respect. It doesn't make you feel any better after a defeat but if people were only in it for the good times the game would have died years ago.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
I didn't renew this season - for the first time in 25 years.

I don't miss it in the slightest. I pop down to the local, get there 5 minutes before kick off, have a 3 or 4 pints, watch the game and then sod off home grumbling, but safe in the knowledge i've saved money not paying to watch that mediocre shit served up by millionaires who don't give a flying fuck about the club I love.

When they can be bothered, and the owner can be bothered, then maybe I will.

Offline villajk

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
My brain must be addled because I have no desire to jump under a bus. Wednesday will come and go. Pushing a trolley round Tesco at a weekend is not my idea of fun.

And you weren't even with me yesterday.  I suffered Tesco alone.

Offline villajk

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
Supporting Villa is a bit like having a pet dog.

Not a pedigree or anything fancy, but a likeable kind of breed, say a Collie, or maybe a Labrador. It doesn't do anything very fancy - it won't do tricks, doesn't carry your paper back from the newsagent or anything like that - but it is pretty loveable and you've become stupidly attached to it.

Most mornings it bounces into your bedroom, tail wagging, and nudges your face with its wet nose to wake you up, and you think how glad you are to have it in your life, you love that old mutt.

The only problem is that, every now and then, rather than nudge you lovingly, it vomits into your open, snoring mouth, just when you're not expecting it, and you start to have fantasies about sticking it in a sack with a couple of bricks and throwing the fucking thing in the cut.

Haha very good, especially the last paragraph.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal