collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What's the deal with Keane and Ireland?  (Read 7365 times)

Offline bob

Re: What's the deal with Keane and Ireland?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
Quote from: Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air link=topic=45968.msg1962200#http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/Themes/HandV%20theme1/images/bbc/quote.gifmsg1962200 date=1327768455
I'm sure this isn't the case, but if it was then we should be focused on keeping Ireland happy since he is actually our player.

No. Focus on getting Ireland to respond to greater competition in his area of the team.

In fairness before being injured last week, he was excellent for a few games in a row. I don't see how he wasn't responding.

Sorry, I'm not saying Ireland hasn't responded - I've been singing his praises of late and been very happy with him. I have just never agreed with the idea of selecting anyone on the basis it might keep them happy or they might want to up and leave if dropped. It's probably a debate that may raise it head more with Darren Bent if he isn't producing. 

It seems that the general consensus in matters like these is that providing competition for a player's place in the side will motivate them to play better. I think we can assume that Ireland is somewhat of a fragile character and given that we have just started to see what he potentially could bring to the team, I think PaulWinch has a valid point here.

I can say that personally, I would feel much more comfortable knowing that I was valued in my position, and not being doubted about my ability to be the best person to play that position in the side. If someone were to be brought in on a temporary basis and chosen for my role ahead of me, I think it would have a detrimental effect on my performance, rather than inspiring me to fight for my place. So maybe Ireland's happiness (considering he is our permanent player) is worth a bit of consideration here.

Obviously I don't know that playing Keane ahead of Ireland would have an affect on Ireland like this. But it's odd that I have also always thought that competition for places must surely inspire players, when in fact now I've thought about it I realise that would be the last thing I would want. It depends on an individual's personality.

For what it's worth I would actually go with a front 3 of:

Gabby
Ireland                             Keane

with Bent coming off the bench at some point if we needed a change.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:20:55 PM by bob »

Offline bob

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »
I don't think we'd be daft enough to sign a player, even on a short term deal, who one of our existing, better players has a long standing problem with.

This, too. I'd be very disappointed if the powers that be hadn't sounded this out if it might be an issue. We've certainly got the players that could have provided the info if necessary.

But then again... it's not like those in charge haven't made any mistakes lately.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
Bob, that team would be outrageously narrow wouldn't it? Pretty much 5 central midfielders!

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
I thought McLeish said they were linking up very well in training.

Offline bob

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
Bob, that team would be outrageously narrow wouldn't it? Pretty much 5 central midfielders!

Yeah, you're right Matt, it would be very narrow. I've just been thinking about fitting Ireland and Keane into the same team, and considering that Ireland was at his best at City as the left sided attacking midfield player.

If we played with a solid midfield of Clark, Petrov and Gardner, maybe it could give the front 3 to roam wherever they want

Maybe it'd be shite though.

Offline sg

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »
Apparently Keane was one of the players who took the piss out of Irelands hair, Ireland didnt like it. Boo hoo.

Who gives a shit, you dont like/get on with everyone you work with so no big deal as long as they produce the goods on the pitch.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »
Keane was allegedly one of the lads who tried to stick Stevie's head down the jacks and flush his wig off during training with EIRE. Probably a load of betty swollocks though.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »
That was Stephen (C)Hunt wasn't it?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
They are both starting today thus rendering this myth busted.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »
This terribly written piece is the only thing I could find.

Robbie Keane praises Coleman and blasts Ireland
17/12/2010 2:50 amRobbie Keane still clearly has some lingering resentment towards Aston Villa’s Stephen Ireland, using an interview as an opportunity to lambast the Donald Pleasance look-alike.

The Tottenham substitute believes that Trap would probably have to take the mentally unstable Corkonian back if he declared himself available again.

Does Keane believe Ireland to be the best thing since sliced bread, though? In a word – No!

“He should come back if he wants to come back,” Robbie Keane said in an interview with supporters’ website YBIG.ie.

“If he doesn't want to play for his country what can we do? Why, if he doesn't want to come back, would you want him to come back?

“It's like the media keep saying he is the best player in the world! If what happened had happened in England the player would have been slaughtered. In Ireland we make him out to be the best player we have.”

When asked who he thought was the best Irish player young is, he replied with praise for Everton’s rampaging right back cum right winger Seamus Coleman.

“He has been looking very good,” Keane said. “He has only been in one senior Ireland squad but he has come on in leaps and bounds recently. He's catching everyone's eye.”

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »
This terribly written piece is the only thing I could find.

Robbie Keane praises Coleman and blasts Ireland
17/12/2010 2:50 amRobbie Keane still clearly has some lingering resentment towards Aston Villa’s Stephen Ireland, using an interview as an opportunity to lambast the Donald Pleasance look-alike.

The Tottenham substitute believes that Trap would probably have to take the mentally unstable Corkonian back if he declared himself available again.

Does Keane believe Ireland to be the best thing since sliced bread, though? In a word – No!

“He should come back if he wants to come back,” Robbie Keane said in an interview with supporters’ website YBIG.ie.

“If he doesn't want to play for his country what can we do? Why, if he doesn't want to come back, would you want him to come back?

“It's like the media keep saying he is the best player in the world! If what happened had happened in England the player would have been slaughtered. In Ireland we make him out to be the best player we have.”

When asked who he thought was the best Irish player young is, he replied with praise for Everton’s rampaging right back cum right winger Seamus Coleman.

“He has been looking very good,” Keane said. “He has only been in one senior Ireland squad but he has come on in leaps and bounds recently. He's catching everyone's eye.”

Somebody got paid to write that :/

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal