collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sammy Morgan v Bob Wilson.  (Read 14802 times)

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: Sammy Morgan v Bob Wilson.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
Sammy was on fire that season, sadly not again. Great memories and wilson was truly hammered by the Holte End in the replay.
Omen perhaps for this weekend ?

I was at Highbury that day and me and Dave Collett had a perfect view of the incident from the terraces Sammy Morgan never connected with Bob Wilson but by god he terrified him back at Villa Park!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
I was at both games aged about 13.  At Highbury I went for a piss and Villa scored.  Went for another piss and Morgan had been sent off by the time I got back. I managed to see all the good bits at the replay though,  the most entertianing being Wilson visibly shitting himself every time Morgan went near him.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
Love these memories!
Being there at the time, and looking back on it now makes it feel like a brilliant bit of our history.
I'm amazed at the fantastic times at VP and beyond that we've had over the years that I've forgotten about until someone on here revives them for me.
Many thanks folks!

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
I was in the Arsenal end for the first game (went with an Aresenal supporting friend). Had to stand there arms tightly folded and mouth clamped shut when Wilson performed his dying swan act.

One of those games where you went expecting nothing from us whatsoever and came away full of pride (and not a little anger).

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »
Both games were televised, but nothings ever turned up on any complilations or Youtube.

Does anyone know if the footage still exists?

Offline morgs_No8

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »
Gents, great to read a few first hand accounts of my dad Sammy's run ins with Mr Wilson. I have to say his memories pretty well match up with all of yours! We went to the replay the other week but unfortunately didn't bump into Mr Wilson. We took a walk to Highbury and this was the first time Sammy had been back since that eventful cup draw.

If any of you manage to locate any footage of this or any other matches from that era then please post as we don't have any of him in a villa shirt.

Needless to say he's proud to have been a Villa number 9, so much so that all the morgans were brought up with claret and blue blood.  He's hugely proud and humbled that he's still remembered for such a memorable couple of nights!

UTV
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:39:35 PM by morgs_No8 »

Online BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
Gents, great to read a few first hand accounts of my dad Sammy's run ins with Mr Wilson. I have to say his memories pretty well match up with all of yours! We went to the replay the other week but unfortunately didn't bump into Mr Wilson. We took a walk to Highbury and this was the first time Sammy had been back since that eventful cup draw.

If any of you manage to locate any footage of this or any other matches from that era then please post as we don't have any of him in a villa shirt.

Needless to say he's proud to have been a Villa number 9, so much so that all the morgans were brought up with claret and blue blood.  He's hugely proud and humbled that he's still remembered for such a memorable couple of nights!

UTV

Welcome to H&V, morgs_No8, and delighted to hear that you've been brought up in the claret & blue tradition! I was standing on the Witton End bank for the Villa Park replay - I was 15 at the time - and the atmosphere was electric that night, certainly in the top 10 of all matches I've been to at the Villa. We were certainly baying for revenge that night, and your father played his part in what was a great result. In our eight years in the 'wilderness' (1967-1975) we always seemed to reserve our best performances for when we played Division One teams in the Cups.

BTW, noting Sammy's current position as Academy Manager at Ipswich, a colleague/friend of mine whose son is involved with the academy has been very complimentary, in comparison to other academies.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:50:51 PM by BC54 VFC »

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
Both games were televised, but nothings ever turned up on any complilations or Youtube.

The Highbury game was televised and shown on LWTs Big Match on 26/1/74, as confirmed by the link below.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/BigMatch.html

However, while it exists it doesnt seem to have been converted and put anywhere on the internet as yet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:02:36 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »

The Highbury game was televised and shown on LWTs Big Match on 26/1/74, as confirmed by the link below.

However, while it exists it doesnt seem to have been converted and put anywhere on the internet as yet.

that is a shame Andy, would love to see the game again.

UTV
The Doc

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »
Those games were played during the power crisis, and I seem to recall that the BBC cameras were at the replay, but highlights of the match were not shown that night (or were shown for maybe 5 minutes only), as television transmission shut down at about 10pm.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »

Let's hope the tapes weren't wiped. I'd love to see that footage again one day.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »

UTV

UTV

Hi Morgs_No8.

If you go to the football DVD's Direct website you can buy a DVD of the full 90 minutes of Bristol Rovers v Aston Villa Sepember 14 1974. 

We lost 2-0 but more significantly your Dad played up front with Bobby Campbell that day.   

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
Those games were played during the power crisis, and I seem to recall that the BBC cameras were at the replay, but highlights of the match were not shown that night (or were shown for maybe 5 minutes only), as television transmission shut down at about 10pm.
Ian, I think there were some highlights as I saw the goals (i think this was the only Alun Evans goal i ever saw) and i was definitely not at the game. IIRC Sammy Morgan and Bob Wilson shared a wee hug at the end of the game too, shown on the highlights.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »
Guess what Bob Wilson's middle name is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wilson_(footballer_born_1941)

It's not as bad as what I hoped it was ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal