collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby - The Good Old Days  (Read 11199 times)

Offline Villanation

Re: Gabby - The Good Old Days
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:43 PM »
Personally I think it was a very sad day for Gabby when he was taken of on Saturday, that was a turning point, because if Villa do badly v Arsenal, AM will sideline Gabby again in desperation to recapture a winning formula for the next game.

He was ill but don't let that get in the way of a poorly thought out conspiracy theory.

As for the comments I take them as nothing more than a figure of speech but no doubt the same people who present themselves as body language experts are also cunning linguists and will convince themselves it's a sign of deep seated unhappiness.

Not sure if the concept has passed you by, but this is a football forum which allows people to offer there opinions and viewpoints on any raised subject.

Your obviously referring to the point I made about AM and I understand you leaping to his defence being some distant love child of his and as for me casting assertions on what i believe to be Gabby state of mind, then its a pretty safe bet that if an individual refers to the so called "good old days" then its possibly reasonable to imagine he may not being enjoying things quite so much now, don't you think?

Keep taking the medication and stick your Conspiracy labels where the sun don't shine thank you.

If you are so keen on the freedom of posters to state their opinions why do you take such objection to me putting mine? Does it only extend as far as people who agree with you?

You've taken a throw away comment and invented a whole baseless conspiracy theory around it then followed it up with pathetic, childish comments.

If you take time to read my post again you'll notice I say "I think", or "in my opinion" that is my opinion, rightly or wrongly, that is what this kind of thing is all about.

Anyway you clearly know way more about so called Conspiracy theories than I do so I'll leave you to carry on thinking way to deeply about things.

But listen its very simple, I'm sure your you'll be putting some of your own well thought out baseless throw away comments on here very soon.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Personally I think Gabby has had the a rough deal TBH, he's been played out of position for seasons now, he's almost become a round peg in a square hole and frankly I think his game has suffered, had he continued his role as a front man i genuinely believe he would have matured into a very different lethal striker, and would have been far more effective for Villa than Darren Bent can even start to think about.

Yet, despite being a round peg in a square hole he has been one of the bright sparks this season. He is going through his post Xmas lull which occurs every season. You must have noticed that Gabby gets off to flier, does fuck all in the middle of the season before finishing with a flurry?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
Gabby's a good lad.

His form has dipped a bit recently but he was very good for us for the first three months of the season.

Infact if you look at every season in his career, he usually starts seasons very well, the goals then dry up between November-February and then he starts scoring again from March onwards.

He probably should score more goals over a season but then again not many players nowadays score 20 league goals a season anyway. And don't forget he dosen't take penalties either, all his goals are in open play, which can be a good way for a striker to boost their season tally.

Overall, he's one of us and has served us well through some good and bad times. The whole of our back 4 for a start should be getting more stick than Gabby for a start.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
Gabby is a hero and I wouldn't read so much into that statement. Regular top six, European qualification, packed houses and cup runs were great days that we all have great memories of.

Gabby will always give his all wherever he is played.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 11:02:19 PM »
Until last month I'd have said he was our best player this season. His form has dipped but he was majestic in certain games earlier on. His goal at Brizzle was a timely reminder of his ability. He'll bang in the winner on Sunday at Nu Highbury too.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 08:34:33 AM »
I think that unless they click as a partnerhip soon, we'll only be able to keep one of Bent and Gabby happy. That would be Gabby for me all day long.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »
I know what you mean, Percy. We really need them to work together and to date Gabby for me has been our best player so far this season.
Hope he's recovered from his illness, we'll need him against Arsenal.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
I've said it before they'll never work as a partnership whilst petrov is here.  The reason being that a 2 man midfield won't work with petrov in there.

The choice is do we play 3 in the middle to suit petrov or do we play 2 up front to see if we can form  a partnership with gabby and bent? 

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »
did you see on sky sports interweb this morning the article with Gabby saying, 'any club bidding for him would be wasting their time as he's villa through and through'.
Nice.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »
I can't see Gabby ever leaving Villa to be honest.

As for his style of play etc., he looks great running past defenders down the left wing and turning defence into attack, but Bent isn't as quick as him so the chemistry isn't quite right.

A midfield consisting of a Petrov replacement, in the shape of a player who can run forward ( a la Dennis Mortimer) with the ball would help us  a great deal in my opinion.

That player would be able to take defenders away from Gabby and also move forward and reach positions that Petrov cannot reach.

This would be part of a 4 man midfield.

This would create a style of play based on pace and forward movement from the team as opposed to a sole player ( Gabby) seemingly taking a whole defence on single handedly.

There needs to be a lot of blending and mixing at VP to improve on our offensive game.

Offline bob

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »
Bent has never been in a succesful partnership, the problem is not Gabby. Not just him anyway.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:11:59 AM by bob »

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
I quite like Gabby cutting in from the left although I think the front four should have more license to swap positions, however this is unlikely with bent playing. 

In my ideal yet realistic world I'd have a front four of

---------------------Gabby---------------------
-----Hoillet--------Ireland-----NZog/Marc---

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »
did you see on sky sports interweb this morning the article with Gabby saying, 'any club bidding for him would be wasting their time as he's villa through and through'.
Nice.

This is in today's Birmingham Mail as well. A statement of commitment, or something else?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
The only thing I would criticise about Gabby's recent play out on the left is that when the ball is over on the right, he fails to come into the box, still keeping his wide left position. If Bent heads to the near post area, Gabby should be heading for the far post. Too often he's left out there in no man's land, a threat to nobody.

If we could get him and Bent playing together, we'd be flying up the league. Alex and his coaching staff need to sort it out.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
The only thing I would criticise about Gabby's recent play out on the left is that when the ball is over on the right, he fails to come into the box, still keeping his wide left position. If Bent heads to the near post area, Gabby should be heading for the far post. Too often he's left out there in no man's land, a threat to nobody.

If we could get him and Bent playing together, we'd be flying up the league. Alex and his coaching staff need to sort it out.

Isn't that what happens when you are playing winger one week, striker the next and so on?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal