collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 12:14:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:10:05 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:09:08 PM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 12:06:24 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:01:43 PM]

150 celebrations by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:41:56 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby - The Good Old Days  (Read 11197 times)

Offline Vanilla

Gabby - The Good Old Days
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
On rereading the below quote from Gabby:

“I think my best tally for a season was 15 or something in the good old days! I think big John Carew used to beat me by one or two."

From a piece in:

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/01/20/aston-villa-derby-destroyer-gabby-agbonlahor-is-ready-to-create-mayhem-at-wolves-97319-30160555/

I just wondered what fellow posters thought about Gabby's reference to 'the good old days'? Apart from sounding like an old chap getting on people's nerves in a pub, what do people infer from that comment?

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: Gabby - The Good Old Days
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
Well to be honest he's right, I'm glad he acknowledges the situation we're in, rather than pretending we're better than we are.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »
Personally I think Gabby has had the a rough deal TBH, he's been played out of position for seasons now, he's almost become a round peg in a square hole and frankly I think his game has suffered, had he continued his role as a front man i genuinely believe he would have matured into a very different lethal striker, and would have been far more effective for Villa than Darren Bent can even start to think about.

The fact he scored 15 in his 1 season as he was developing says to me he was capable of a lot more with development. For Gabby I think time is just now passing him by, massive pity, for Villa and England, because being played out of position means he will not figure for England, England's front men in the summer will be made up of Rooney, Bent, Carrol, Wellbeck and Gabby would have been better than all of them with the exception of Rooney.

Think Gabby statement saying the good old days is Gabby saying that for the love of his club he's stayed put, but its cost him dearly, and he has turned down offers over the last 4 seasons from interested clubs, Arsenal and Spurs.

Personally I think it was a very sad day for Gabby when he was taken of on Saturday, that was a turning point, because if Villa do badly v Arsenal, AM will sideline Gabby again in desperation to recapture a winning formula for the next game.

If I was Gabby I would seriously have a chat with the old agent and put myself in the shop window and stop these loyalty statements he keeps making which puts of any prospective clubs, leaving them cold.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »
Hang yer boots up ! Old man ! ;D

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
The fact he scored 15 in his 1 season as he was developing says to me he was capable of a lot more with development.
He got 16 in all competitions in O'Neill's last season but I'm not sure can really say that was 'his one season as he was developing'.

His goalscoring record up to then was decent enough, but nothing spectacular.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:28:14 PM »
The fact he scored 15 in his 1 season as he was developing says to me he was capable of a lot more with development.
He got 16 in all competitions in O'Neill's last season but I'm not sure can really say that was 'his one season as he was developing'.

Not spectacular, but very consistent and for a long time did that for the club as a lone striker and basically a kid, that's a lot of responsibility for a 20/21/22 year old, pushing the club on from the front, 6th places, Europe, Semi Finals and finals. I fear Gabby could turn into this sad bench warmer that just didn't quite make it simply because he just wants to play for Villa. Mad!!!!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »
Personally I think it was a very sad day for Gabby when he was taken of on Saturday, that was a turning point, because if Villa do badly v Arsenal, AM will sideline Gabby again in desperation to recapture a winning formula for the next game.

He was ill but don't let that get in the way of a poorly thought out conspiracy theory.

As for the comments I take them as nothing more than a figure of speech but no doubt the same people who present themselves as body language experts are also cunning linguists and will convince themselves it's a sign of deep seated unhappiness.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »

Could he have meant "1st" season?  Even though he scored 10, not 15 in that season.

Online Dave

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
Dunno, he said fifteen goals so I presumed he meant the one season that he scored fifteen goals.

Accidentally increasing his goals by 50% is quite a big margin of error if so...

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
I think you are seeing a different player to me Villanation. Gabby can lead the line and hold it up, but would never get more than 12-15 in a season, and possibly less in some even playing right up top. The issue is, he has zero natural movement, and is not a great finisher either. He is languishing behind defenders when the ball is put in much of the time, and does not have the natural ability to find the space, Bent does, and will haev always been a much more regular goalscorer. Team wise, you need that, it is a shame he and Gabby don't fit together, but if I were to sacrifice one, it would always be Gabby. He also blows very hot and cold, and even under MON went through periods of weeks without a goal up front. He is a good player, but has limitations, which is why he is often moved around.

Online Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
He is a good player, but has limitations, which is why he is often moved around.
Disagree with a few things in your post, but this most of all.

I'd say he's moved around a lot because he's very good.

Gerrard and Essien aren't moved around because of their limitations, they're moved around because of their qualities. And Gabby's no different.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »

He was ill but don't let that get in the way of a poorly thought out conspiracy theory.

As for the comments I take them as nothing more than a figure of speech but no doubt the same people who present themselves as body language experts are also cunning linguists and will convince themselves it's a sign of deep seated unhappiness.

Not sure if the concept has passed you by, but this is a football forum which allows people to offer there opinions and viewpoints on any raised subject.

Your obviously referring to the point I made about AM and I understand you leaping to his defence being some distant love child of his and as for me casting assertions on what i believe to be Gabby state of mind, then its a pretty safe bet that if an individual refers to the so called "good old days" then its possibly reasonable to imagine he may not being enjoying things quite so much now, don't you think?

Keep taking the medication and stick your Conspiracy labels where the sun don't shine thank you.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »
I think you are seeing a different player to me Villanation. Gabby can lead the line and hold it up, but would never get more than 12-15 in a season, and possibly less in some even playing right up top. The issue is, he has zero natural movement, and is not a great finisher either. He is languishing behind defenders when the ball is put in much of the time, and does not have the natural ability to find the space, Bent does, and will haev always been a much more regular goalscorer. Team wise, you need that, it is a shame he and Gabby don't fit together, but if I were to sacrifice one, it would always be Gabby. He also blows very hot and cold, and even under MON went through periods of weeks without a goal up front. He is a good player, but has limitations, which is why he is often moved around.

Matter of opinion, I think Gabby had a lot more but I also think that flame is slowly being extinguished, he's not as fast, he's not as sharp, and he's not as vocal on the park as he used to be, that's my opinion anyway.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »
Yet he had his best run of form for us at the start of the season.

Gabby blows hot and cold. He'll have a few runs of good form each season interspersed with cold periods where he either works hard but manages little or just sulks. With the exception of last season it is how he's been typically.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »

Not sure if the concept has passed you by, but this is a football forum which allows people to offer there opinions and viewpoints on any raised subject.

Your obviously referring to the point I made about AM and I understand you leaping to his defence being some distant love child of his and as for me casting assertions on what i believe to be Gabby state of mind, then its a pretty safe bet that if an individual refers to the so called "good old days" then its possibly reasonable to imagine he may not being enjoying things quite so much now, don't you think?

Keep taking the medication and stick your Conspiracy labels where the sun don't shine thank you.

If you are so keen on the freedom of posters to state their opinions why do you take such objection to me putting mine? Does it only extend as far as people who agree with you?

You've taken a throw away comment and invented a whole baseless conspiracy theory around it then followed it up with pathetic, childish comments.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:02:53 PM by Chris Smith »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal