collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 9pts away from...  (Read 15204 times)

Offline QBVILLA

Re: 9pts away from...
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
I actually like Big Eck. Am I allowed to say that?!

Of course you can Mrs McLeish ;)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

Only if Dazzyg is on the thread, as otherwise we lose some great comedic possibilities.

Offline glasses

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »

Only if Dazzyg is on the thread, as otherwise we lose some great comedic possibilities.
I've liked Eck since the interview on the season ticket DVD at the start of the season. I haven't always agreed with his decisions, but I'd rather have someone like him who sees it as an honour to manage us, than someone who thinks he is doing us a favour.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »

Of course you can Mrs McLeish ;)

I like him too. He doesn't speak in riddles and seems like one of the most 'no nonsense', direct managers in the league. He also comes across rather competent.

I just have always had question marks about the ambition of the appointment and his tactics.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »
I've liked Eck since the interview on the season ticket DVD at the start of the season. I haven't always agreed with his decisions, but I'd rather have someone like him who sees it as an honour to manage us, than someone who thinks he is doing us a favour.
Bang on for me. He's still to convince me he's the right man, but he's handled himself superbly since he's been here, and certainly hasn't done enough to convince me that he's not the right man for the job yet.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »
Bang on for me. He's still to convince me he's the right man, but he's handled himself superbly since he's been here, and certainly hasn't done enough to convince me that he's not the right man for the job yet.

He's still managing someone else's team so far. The big test will be next season when the team will be gutted further through releases and transfers away from the club of the top earners. Only then will we see from the transfer purchases where the club is going under his tenure.

You would have to say with the near £14 million spent on transfers in so far, his record is quite poor.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
You would have to say with the near £14 million spent on transfers in so far, his record is quite poor.

I think that's somewhat harsh.

I'd class them as:

Given - Excellent
Hutton - Terrible
N'Zogbia - undecided, but I suspect he'll turn out to be an excellent one.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
He's still managing someone else's team so far. The big test will be next season when the team will be gutted further through releases and transfers away from the club of the top earners. Only then will we see from the transfer purchases where the club is going under his tenure.

I don't agree with that.

As the manager, his job is to win games, so results are the only true barometer of success.  If you want to guage that against finances, then fair enough, but if he buys a load of players we don't rate and still gets results, then he's doing well.

And the transfer purchases, or at least the money made available for them, says more about Randy's tenure than it does the manager's.   

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 07:45:44 PM »

I think that's somewhat harsh.

I'd class them as:

Given - Excellent
Hutton - Terrible
N'Zogbia - undecided, but I suspect he'll turn out to be an excellent one.

Given has obviously performed well, but his injuries are a worry. There is also the decision to bring in Jenas. Also, whatever Keane's impact will be, it will only be short lived anyway, which makes you think a longer term loan would have been more apt.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »

I don't agree with that.

As the manager, his job is to win games, so results are the only true barometer of success.  If you want to guage that against finances, then fair enough, but if he buys a load of players we don't rate and still gets results, then he's doing well.

And the transfer purchases, or at least the money made available for them, says more about Randy's tenure than it does the manager's.   

Yes, but you have to admit the two are linked. David Moyes is an excellent manager I think, but another average season for them is a result of the lack of investment, rather than Moyes' management skills.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal