collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe standing - update  (Read 32582 times)

Offline spk

Re: Safe standing - update
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
Mods, would it be possible to add a poll to this thread please?
Q1. Would you be happy to see a Safe Standing area at Villa Park?
Q2. If there was a Safe Standing area would you use it?

yes.yes.if we can get 35k on a regular basis when we are not doing so well sitting down with no atmosphere with rip off prices ,50k should be obtainable with cheaper standing tickets and an improved atmosphere,turning aston villa once again into a powerhouse of world football.

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
I know people who never had the chance to stand up to watch a game at VP who would start going again for the novelty factor alone initially. Who knows, if that led to a better atmosphere, cheaper tickets, and a better match day experience, it could spiral into something really good.

Definately agree.  I doubt that the Lower Holte could every be converted as it is designed for its current capacity and at times the concourse area struggles with that.  They will need to incorporate it into a new stand

Yep - knock down the North Stand and replace it with a replica of that massive terrace behind the goal at Dortmund - sorted.

1) Argue and win the case with the authorities and clear all the bureaucratic hurdles.
2) Run a pilot scheme as suggested in a section of the lower Holte.
3) If successful, build it Dortmund style to replace the North stand.

Lets see the Villa lead the way.

The sudtribune (tried to post a picture)?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A 25,000 terrace? Twice as big as the Holte - well I'd love to see Villa Park as a full 60,000 capacity stadium but lets face it, its not going to happen.

These safe-standing zones might be a bit disappointing for anyone who used to stand on a terrace in an English ground. I've been to a couple in Germany and, apart from Union Berlin's ground, you can't fit more than two rows in them at a time.

At the same time, though, they are unequivocably safe, and you get to stand with your mates, move around if you want etc etc. Might also lead to more people getting into the ground earlier to get a decent spot and help the atmosphere that way. If one ground does it well I'm sure a lot of others will follow.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »
Its a good idea,  we are more likely to stay awake

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 06:32:23 PM »
If the New North Stand became the 'standing' section at Villa Park, would that mean it would replace the Holte as our 'end'? That would be a pity... I'd rather see any standing area down at the Holte End. I'm converting the Holte Lower tier wouldn't be  that big of a job.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »
I'd imagine that the Holte Lower would be the obvious place to have a standing area. As DW pointed out earlier, the North Stand Lower is too close to the away fans and any attempt to lacate it there would probably be met with objections from the police.

Online ez

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
The thing is the lower north is a standing terrace with seats on it.People stand there already as the sloping is too shallow.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
I would welcome safe standing at Villa Park. I imagine the tickets for that section will be very in demand.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
At the SCG Paul Faulkner brought it to the debate and asked the meeting for their views.

At previous SCGs it has been brought by supporters. I brought detailed arguments for it at one of the first SCGs, but knowing the law, I was only asking for any re-builds to be "future-proofed" for safe standing, not to bring standing back as such. (It wasn't reported like that on the published questions/answers). However, they did invite me back in with FSF reps for a more detailed chat.

They have always taken this issue seriously and been prepared to think about it. Villa have always indicated that they would consider safe standing if the law changed, but their stance appears to have now moved to a pro-active one, where they actually wish to campaign for it. They were keen to gather all the arguments for safe standing and take them forward.

I don't think Villa particularly wanted to go to the press with it at this stage as there are no direct quotes, but someone at the meeting obviously thought the press would like the story. Still - they must have been prepared for this to happen, it is pretty much a public meeting and no-one is sworn to secrecy.

Even Villa Park security apparently now say they would prefer standing to be allowed because they believe "persistent standing" is less safe, and causes unnecessary conflict with supporters.

It was also stated that, as rail seating offers a third more capacity than the same area with the seats down, prices would be reduced accordingly. The club hope that this will attract younger fans who have been priced out.

They say that they would ask to trial a small area of about 500, and then ask to expand it if allowed. That corner is chosen because it's position does not block the view of adjacent seated fans.

It will take time, but the FSF have always said they need one club to raise their head above the parapet, and others will follow. They are delighted with this hitting the press today and will be looking to build on it. I'm really pleased to see Villa trying to take a lead on this - even if another club gets there before us, we would still be the ones who were brave enough to take the lead in trying to make this happen.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 10:18:29 PM »
If the New North Stand became the 'standing' section at Villa Park, would that mean it would replace the Holte as our 'end'? That would be a pity... I'd rather see any standing area down at the Holte End. I'm converting the Holte Lower tier wouldn't be  that big of a job.
It would.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 10:45:20 PM »
Its a great Idea

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 10:55:27 PM »
It would.

Just to deal with the extra capacity? What was the concourse like in the Old Holte when it was 19,000 capacity? With a standing lower tier I'd imagine the overall capacity of the new Holte would reach what, 16,500 or 17,000? I'm just curious.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
As much as I loved to stand on the Holte, the facilities were fucking awful compared to what people are used to these days.

I have no problem with going back to those times to some degree but, if you didn't experience it or don't remember, you wouldn't be sitting down to a pie and a pint watching sky sports, that's for sure.

On safe standing though, it makes sense and I would welcome it.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »
I know people who never had the chance to stand up to watch a game at VP who would start going again for the novelty factor alone initially. Who knows, if that led to a better atmosphere, cheaper tickets, and a better match day experience, it could spiral into something really good.

Definately agree.  I doubt that the Lower Holte could every be converted as it is designed for its current capacity and at times the concourse area struggles with that.  They will need to incorporate it into a new stand

Yep - knock down the North Stand and replace it with a replica of that massive terrace behind the goal at Dortmund - sorted.

1) Argue and win the case with the authorities and clear all the bureaucratic hurdles.
2) Run a pilot scheme as suggested in a section of the lower Holte.
3) If successful, build it Dortmund style to replace the North stand.

Lets see the Villa lead the way.

The sudtribune (tried to post a picture)?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A 25,000 terrace? Twice as big as the Holte - well I'd love to see Villa Park as a full 60,000 capacity stadium but lets face it, its not going to happen.

These safe-standing zones might be a bit disappointing for anyone who used to stand on a terrace in an English ground. I've been to a couple in Germany and, apart from Union Berlin's ground, you can't fit more than two rows in them at a time.

At the same time, though, they are unequivocably safe, and you get to stand with your mates, move around if you want etc etc. Might also lead to more people getting into the ground earlier to get a decent spot and help the atmosphere that way. If one ground does it well I'm sure a lot of others will follow.
Thats a photo from the sudtribune

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
It would.

Just to deal with the extra capacity? What was the concourse like in the Old Holte when it was 19,000 capacity? With a standing lower tier I'd imagine the overall capacity of the new Holte would reach what, 16,500 or 17,000? I'm just curious.

Young man in my day the Holte capacity was 28,000

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
It would.

Young man in my day the Holte capacity was 28,000

It's likely the Holte would have to come down again (or at least undergo extensive refurbishment) as the gradient of the stand is different for seating and standing, which would require changing not only the stand but the concourse underneath. This is why they're probably considering the corner between the Holte and the Trinity first, before expanding to the North Stand, as this would only cause minor disruptions.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal