collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe standing - update  (Read 32473 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Safe standing - update
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
It might im;prove the atmosphere. That's the corner where Lions Club members usually sit right?

No, I believe that they are at the left side of The Trinity looking at the pitch (The Tunnel area).

Fair play to Villa for pioneering this approach back in Englands Top-flight

Funny as not to long ago the released a statement saying they did not recognise the term safe standing.  Perhaps just desperate to get more people through the door for their £.

Or perhaps they're doing something supporters want. 'Listening,' I believe it's called.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
You'll probably find it would cost more to stand than sit if it came back.  I like the idea though.

Offline KRS

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
Sounds like the club have approached this sensibly with a small test area. Would be perfect for the Brigada guys.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »
Sounds like the club have approached this sensibly with a small test area. Would be perfect for the Brigada guys.

Not only that, they're floating the idea out gradually- talking to supporters, then SCG, now going public. It's a good way of gauging public reaction without trying to force anyone's hand. 

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
It can't do any harm bringing a safe standing area back for those who want to stand.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
Free coach travel to Arsenal, now leading the way with this pioneering proposal.
Thats two pats on the back for the running of the club off the pitch this week.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 03:53:18 PM »
It might im;prove the atmosphere. That's the corner where Lions Club members usually sit right?
No, I believe that they are at the left side of The Trinity looking at the pitch (The Tunnel area).

Funny as not to long ago the released a statement saying they did not recognise the term safe standing.  Perhaps just desperate to get more people through the door for their £.

Or perhaps they're doing something supporters want. 'Listening,' I believe it's called.
Well they weren't listening initially as was stated in their reply for one of the early SCG.  Perhaps something has twisted their arm.  Only a good thing of course, just think it has more to do with £ TBH.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:54:51 PM by itbrvilla »

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »

Well they weren't listening initially as was stated in their reply for one of the early SCG.  Perhaps something has twisted their arm.  Only a good thing of course, just think it has more to do with £ TBH.

The SPL development has certainly re-opened the debate and technology continues to evolve. You can't complain when they don't listen to an argument then say it's only about getting more money from us when they do.

Offline itbrvilla

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »

The SPL development has certainly re-opened the debate and technology continues to evolve. You can't complain when they don't listen to an argument then say it's only about getting more money from us when they do.
Just a shame that I feel their motives are not the same as that of the fans for wanting Safe Standing.  But Like I said its only a good thing and I hope they realise how much of an effect it can have and really get behind it to make a much larger standing area.  Well done Villa for trying to pioneer this.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
I know people who never had the chance to stand up to watch a game at VP who would start going again for the novelty factor alone initially. Who knows, if that led to a better atmosphere, cheaper tickets, and a better match day experience, it could spiral into something really good.

Offline itbrvilla

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
I know people who never had the chance to stand up to watch a game at VP who would start going again for the novelty factor alone initially. Who knows, if that led to a better atmosphere, cheaper tickets, and a better match day experience, it could spiral into something really good.

Definately agree.  I doubt that the Lower Holte could every be converted as it is designed for its current capacity and at times the concourse area struggles with that.  They will need to incorporate it into a new stand

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
How to sell Newspapers on a really really slow newsday and column inches to fill:

Mat Kendrick writes 'Aston Villa set to introduce "Safe standing area" at Villa Park'.

Read further down as the text gets smaller and the words longer and we get "Aston Villa are 'EXPLORING' the possibility of introducing safe standing area at Villa Park.

Put that along with 'exploring' the possibility of signing Messi along with 'exploring' the possibility of employing a manager who has relegated a team twice in recent memory - oh no we did that one.

'Discussions are at a formative stage' - a bit like two 14 year old boys listing all the popstar girls they would like to sleep with. Or having in your pocket at a press conference the list of names that you SAY are trying to sign while trying to hold back supporter fury on transfer dithering.

The Chief Executive Paul Faulkner has earmarked the corner of Villa Park for a standing area (probably where Herecules the Lion would not be within receiving distance of coins, programmes and half heated pies).

Oh wait theres more!

Igniting the nostalgic flame once again Mighty Mat continues 'It would be at least the 2013-14 season (or even later) before fans would be allowed to stand at Villa Park' who has obviously never looked across to the left side section in the upper & lower Ellis during a match. Only to douse it in spittle again with 'For Villa's scheme to go ahead, it would require a LAW change. Damn that pesky statute!

'Villa Bosses hope the intended project would boost the atmosphere at the stadium and tempt back some stay-away supporters' who might not care whether they are standing or sitting to see Hutton place another hopeless punt, Warnock head into his own goal, a midfield that cant pass, a disinterested record signing and unimaginitive tactics from the manager.

The SPL - Scottish Premier League has apparently given its clubs permission to have safe-standing areas within their stadiums. Rumours that the SPL have spoken to James Cameron's special effects team to replicate 3D 'virtual supporters' for use during the highlights programme featuring the non-old firm clubs are unsubstantiated.

Well whuppee doo.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
Mods, would it be possible to add a poll to this thread please?
Q1. Would you be happy to see a Safe Standing area at Villa Park?
Q2. If there was a Safe Standing area would you use it?

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »

Definately agree.  I doubt that the Lower Holte could every be converted as it is designed for its current capacity and at times the concourse area struggles with that.  They will need to incorporate it into a new stand

Yep - knock down the North Stand and replace it with a replica of that massive terrace behind the goal at Dortmund - sorted.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 04:37:58 PM »

Yep - knock down the North Stand and replace it with a replica of that massive terrace behind the goal at Dortmund - sorted.

1) Argue and win the case with the authorities and clear all the bureaucratic hurdles.
2) Run a pilot scheme as suggested in a section of the lower Holte.
3) If successful, build it Dortmund style to replace the North stand.

Lets see the Villa lead the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal