collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Trying to accommodate both Bent & Gabby (& Keane?) at the expense of creativity  (Read 10475 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Id play a midfield diamond,with Clark at the bottom,Ireland at the top,with Stan on the right,Nzogbia on the left,a narrow midfield. To get the best out the forwards they need to be more advanced,especially Gab.

The problem is though we need decent attacking full backs,which we don't have.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Both the full backs try to attack but they're not very good at it.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
That leaves out Albrighton, who up until Everton was our 2nd best player on form behind Ireland.  The diamond worked for us against Wigan, but Petrov played at the bottom and I think that's the only place he fits in that formation.  I'd also have doubts about N'Zogbia having the discipline for it.

Should we try it, I'd go with your team and replace Petrov and N'Zog with Super Marc and Bannan.  Or maybe Gardner the Younger?

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Yeah,Gardners not a bad idea. I get a feeling that Wee Barry won't get enough game time and will fall further down the pecking order.

I really wish we'd invest in some top draw full backs,as they're really important in how teams attack nowadays.

Offline pedro25

Just because we may go 442 does not mean we are playing two wingers, Bremner, Houghton etc were not wingers but played predominantly wide midfield.  Just because Ireland starts from the left doesn't mean he is playing as a left winger, he can cut in from that flank and help dictate play and whilst Gabby starts up front he naturally peels over to the left quite a lot during any game, so I think that's a combination that could work with neither of them necessarilly playing out of position on the wing, but both rotating between wide roles and supporting Bent during the game.  It also means the central two have more cover in the form of Ireland thank if we were playing two touchline hugging wingers.  Bent, Gabby, N'Zogbia and Ireland playing to the height of their abilities should be trouble for any defence and in Bannan, Albrighton, Keane and Gardner we have some very good players waiting to force their way into the team.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
That leaves out Albrighton, who up until Everton was our 2nd best player on form behind Ireland.  The diamond worked for us against Wigan, but Petrov played at the bottom and I think that's the only place he fits in that formation.  I'd also have doubts about N'Zogbia having the discipline for it.

Should we try it, I'd go with your team and replace Petrov and N'Zog with Super Marc and Bannan
That would see our front six consist of two strikers, two trequartistas one winger and one central defender, while offering no protection for two of the most temperamental full-backs in the league.

It would be tactically suicidal.

Offline Merv

We've seen our best formation a few times already. It's two central midfield players - currently Petrov and Clark - with three players ahead of them; pick two from Albrighton, N'Zog and Gabby for the wide roles, and one (currently Ireland) in the middle (Bannan, and also perhaps Keane) compete for that spot. Bent as the central striker.

That's probably our best model. Gabby can play the striker role if Bent is injured/off form.

For certain games, we could even pair Ireland with Clark in central midfield, use Keane just behind Bent.

I'd be looking at introducing Lichaj and Stevens to the full back roles at some point; Herd also a possibility at right-back.

In the summer, we look to phase Petrov out and bring in a new midfielder to play in there.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Simple Try this.
-------------------Given,

Cuellar ----Collins, ---- Dunne,

----------Petrov -----Clark
Albrighton ----Ireland -----Keane
-------Agbonlahor---- Bent

Clark can be attacking defender which he can be use to switch 4-1-3-2 or 3-2-3-2 formation when needed. But will Alex be brave enough to try this system.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Simple Try this.

Clark can be attacking defender which he can be use to switch 4-1-3-2 or 3-2-3-2 formation when needed. But will Alex be brave enough to try this system.

I very much hope not. We'd be ripped to shreds.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
what we have in midfield and attack is options, we have 2 decent goalkeepers. It is the back 4 that is the problem and needs replacing.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
I think Gabby will start at Arsenal but he'll be on the bench for the next home game.

Offline Matt Collins

Simple Try this.

I've seen some odd teams and formations on here but this one takes the biscuit!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal