collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Trying to accommodate both Bent & Gabby (& Keane?) at the expense of creativity  (Read 10497 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
I think it's a case of giving the players more time together to develop understanding. I'd put N'Zogbia back in for Albrighton but otherwise persevere with the line up from Saturday. I do understand the argument but dropping one of your leading goal scorers in a side that doesn't get many is a risky decision.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
I seem to watch different games to some. When ever I see Bent play I think he does track back. He does come deep and defend. He isn't as effective at it as say Gabby is but some seem to make out that he stands on the half way line arms folded waiting for the ball to be played for him to score a goal.

When ever I've watched him, Bent does work with he team. But my stance is if he's dropping too deep or going out wide to pick up the ball then he is out of position for when the ball comes back inside. He can't be in the middle to receive the ball and put it in the back of the net.

The midfield needs to be stronger so Bent can be more effective.

Gabby does contribute a lot so i would be reluctant to drop him. How many assists does he have this season? I'd drop Albrighton and put gabby out wide. Harsh on marc I know but gabby has been more effective out wide this season

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Agree with almost everything the FP says, except the bit about getting shot of Bent up to the Everton game.

I was thinking the same yesterday when reading the "Big Managerial Decisions" thread.  For me it's a key area where McLeish has bottled the big decision. It's got to be either Bent or Gabby (or Keane I suppose) but he seems to think he can't drop Bent because he's the record signing and he'd be off like a shot if he did, and he can't drop Gabby as it would upset the fans. So he makes the classic managerial mistake of disrupting the whole team to try and shoehorn them both in.  N'Zogbia's poor form has largely been down to not being played in his natural and best position, wide left.  When he's played there, he's looked much better. Ireland is only effective in the hole behind the striker, it's a complete waste of time trying to fit him in anywhere else.  Up front, for me it has to be Bent, because quite simply, if you feed him enough chances he'll get you 20 goals a season. Gabby, for all his effort and enthusiasm, won't.  It's the old one about the simple trick of playing players in their best positions and having the balls to leave players, any player, out.  The best managers do it, the others don't.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
A lots been said about the Chelsea game and how we wouldn't have won it had Bent started, plus how much better we played against Arsenal, again without Bent.  However, is that the real reason or was it because the team behind Gabby had more balance to it?  We've only seen Bent missing this season due to injury, so only seen how we shape up with Gabby upfront and Bent not playing, as the one game Gabby missed through suspension Bent was out also.  So we don't actually know if Gabby up top was the difference as opposed to the better balance in midfield with Gabby not playing wide.

Two sitters in Clark & Petrov behind an advanced three of N'Zog, Ireland and Super Marc is the best midfield for us, but I don't think we lose too much in general play by having Bent upfront instead of Gabby, and obviosuly gain in terms of goal threat, so the reluctant decision for me is to drop Gabby.   

Offline supertom

I'm quite happy to play Gabby wide. He's got more assists for us than anyone else this season. He's always a threat and actually, he's been quite effective out wide.

Albrighton is just becoming a bit quiet again. N'Zogbia did okay for a run but nothing more, so I'd play Gabby wide left over either of them.

But certainly, I don't like playing two up front and four in midfield. We need a three man midfield.

We'll create more and Bent will bang them in. I don't think we're in a position to drop Bent or Gabby right now.

Offline Chris Smith

What people forget about the Chelsea game is that we scored the second and third when Bent was on the pitch.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Midnite I agree on the work bent does. It is a myth that he does not work hard in games. There were stats to show how far he had run in the first half was the sixth furthest on the field on Saturday. Just easy to use the excuse he doesn't work hard to drop him for Gabby who is great, but will never carry the goal threat of bent.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
It's a real symptom of this board that any weakness seen in a player gets talked up out of all proportion until it's a major flaw. 

Does Bent add as much to general play as Gabby?  No, but then that doesn't mean he's useless in that regard.

Other myths we've managed to convince ourselves of over the years include:-
Petrov is knackered after 60 minutes
NRC can't pass
Cuellar is an awful right back 
Collins and Dunne 'hoof' everytime they see a football

Offline supertom

Bent does do a lot of work. His movement is excellent, but most of his work is off the ball. This is what's so annoying about the team this season, is the fact we're not getting the ball to him enough. The amount we actually create in some games is truly pathetic. Still, despite having little service, he's still managed 7 goals.

We can't defend to save our lives. In part because we invite too much pressure by sitting back. I just wish we'd be a bit gung ho and push on. We've got decent attacking players, and the best form of defence is to attack. We have a predator in Bent and we have Gabby. We should be outscoring most of the teams below the top 6 on a game to game basis, especially at home. McLeish should just give up the ghost on trying to get clean sheets. It's not gonna happen. Concentrate on the attacking third.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
One thing I know. Playing Ireland on the wing is stupid.

Offline Chris Smith

Did you watch the game on Saturday, Tom? It was precisely because were gung-ho and going all out for a second that we got hit with a sucker punch for the equaliser.

Our defence isn't as bad as is painted, we're in the mid range for goals conceded for the league. We give away soft goals but we also defend well at times, as with every other aspect of the team the issue is inconsistency.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:16:13 PM by Chris Smith »

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
Did you watch the game on Saturday, Tom? It was precisely because were gung-ho and going all out for a second that we got hit with a sucker punch for the equaliser.

Our defence isn't as bad as is painted, we're in the mid range for goals conceded for the league. We give away soft goals but we also defend well at times, as with every other aspect of the team the issue is inconsistency.

I'd agree with this. We can play some nice stuff at times, but are unable to keep it going for long enough to force more mistakes from the opposition. And our defensive frailties don't seem to be down to any problem with the way the team is set up, but more because of individual mistakes. Not sure how the manager can change that, but I think confidence is the key factor.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
What people forget about the Chelsea game is that we scored the second and third when Bent was on the pitch.

A very valid point.  Also overlooked by some is the fact that Gabby was dreadful up on his own against Arsenal, both in terms of general contribution and hold up play, and in failing to get on the end of the fair amount of crosses that were being pinged into the box.  Although to be fair I heard Gabby was much better against Chelsea, and gave their defenders a tough time, but I missed the first half.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
I'd stick with both of them up top,Gab seems to naturally pull out wide on the left,he did it a lot when he played with Carew. As others have said Bent is more natural at getting in goal scoring positions,throw in Ireland behind them and hopefully they can build an understanding.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
I'd stick with both of them up top,Gab seems to naturally pull out wide on the left,he did it a lot when he played with Carew. As others have said Bent is more natural at getting in goal scoring positions,throw in Ireland behind them and hopefully they can build an understanding.

That leaves us too weak in the middle as Ireland is best in a more advanced position and other than Petrov our midfield is not good enough. It is the whole conundrum of the thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal