collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Trying to accommodate both Bent & Gabby (& Keane?) at the expense of creativity  (Read 10504 times)

Offline dalians umbrella

I thought that one of the main reasons we played so well at Chelsea, aside from having Ciaran Clark in midfield, was the creativity and interplay between Ireland, Albrighton and N'Zogbia. All seemed to be playing in their best positions - Albrighton and N'Zogbia as wingers and Ireland behind a lone striker and in front of two midfielders who can tackle. Also, all were previously having stinkers of seasons up until recently, but had benefitted from McCleish perservering with them.

Although I completely sympathise with McLeish feeling that he had to bring Bent back into the team once he recovered from injury, this has been achieved by dropping first Albrighton, and then N'Zogbia, and playing either Ireland or Gabby on the wing. This seems to have conincided with the downturn in form after things seemed to be getting better around christmas.

I know Gabby's season highlights have all involved him cutting in from wide left but I don't think he has the creativity we need in a winger. Even more so, Stephen Ireland is rendered completely ineffective when out wide. I was amazed McCleish even started him out there against Everton after it didn't work against Bristol.

Seeing as McCleish is likely to be blamed for everything from the economic downturn to the recent gales, I can understand his reluctance to drop either Bent or Gabby, as either would probably become quickly unhappy and want a move away.  But I think we can only play with one of them in the team. Up until the Everton game, I would have been perfectly happy for him to drop, and even sell, Darren Bent as his contribution to the team has been non-existent. However, terrible passing aside, he did actually start to run around on Saturday, receive and lay the ball off, as well as the small matter of scoring.

I am worried that the signing of Robbie Keane is going to make this situation even worse with McCleish trying to now accommodate 3 strikers into a system which needs only one. The only thing worse than playing Ireland on the wing is playing him as part of a midfield two, where we are quickly over-run (see Newcastle away last season) and this is what happened when Keane was brought on as sub on Saturday. I would really like McCleish to be brave and start the next game with just one of Bent, Gabby or Keane (preferably Bent) and see what happens.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:34:15 AM by dalians umbrella »

Offline Greg N'Ash

Not sure he bought Keane to play as a striker, Probably more to cover Ivanhoe. It's pretty clear AM still hasn't found a midfield combination that can be creative and protect the duffers in defence and with Jenas kaput and no money available i'm guessing Keane is his latest throw of the dice. Short term fix if it works but thats the market AM is dealing in now. I think if we're in a similar league position when he leaves as we are now, he'll be happy.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
I think this is an interesting discussion and, as I said eearlier, what would have happened if Bent had not scored that goal againt Everton when he did? What would McLeish's move have been then? Keane had to come on. Who would have gone off. I know it is 'what if' but it is proving difficult to get the best 11 on the field, even though we have had most permutation out of the squad outside the back four.

Offline Jimmy Smash

As I've said in previous posts, in my opinion, Villa's strongest team at present is...

Given

Hutton         Collins                     Dunne           Warnock

Albrighton              Clark          Ireland             Petrov               N Zog

Agbonlahor

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
The team that played at Chelsea worked because of all the aspects of the team working.

If we had started with Bent instead of Gabby I think the result would have been different, I also think that if we had started with Gabby on the wing it would have been different.

We cannot afford to accommodate players, I would try one more time this week but with N'Zogbia in for Marc.
If that doesn't work then we have to pick one of Bent/Gabby to play up top.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
I would be loathe to drop Gabby but I don't have to pick the team.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Excellent first post.

Offline timeoutbigbar

As I've said in previous posts, in my opinion, Villa's strongest team at present is...

Given

Albrighton              Clark          Ireland             Petrov               N Zog

Agbonlahor

My only adjustment would have to be Cuellar for Collins.  I'd say this is our most effective lineup, even if it doesn't necessarily mean it contains the best individuals.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012

Given

Agbonlahor
I agree except for the back 4

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Christ, seeing those jokers at full-back in our ''strongest XI'' is enough to make you weep.

Offline hawkeye

Christ, seeing those jokers at full-back in our ''strongest XI'' is enough to make you weep.
you forgot to mention Collins

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
I would drop Gabby. I am in the minority, and he has been great this season, but he has dropped off in terms of goals recently, and simply does not move in the box when the lone front man, Bent is much more adept at finding space and much more likely to score for me.

It is an issue, but then the manager is paid to make it work. A convenient injury to either is the get out clause, but for me Bent is the better player to score goals.

Offline hawkeye

I would drop Gabby. I am in the minority, and he has been great this season, but he has dropped off in terms of goals recently, and simply does not move in the box when the lone front man, Bent is much more adept at finding space and much more likely to score for me.

It is an issue, but then the manager is paid to make it work. A convenient injury to either is the get out clause, but for me Bent is the better player to score goals.
that is the conundrum, play Gabby who will add more to the team or play Bent who adds nothing to the team except is more likely to score, on the other hand I would allways play Gabby ahead of Alrighton or Nzogbia

Offline Greg N'Ash

Have to agree about gabby. I'd also stick keane just behind bent to thread balls on the ground through the centre to him which is what he likes

Offline Irish villain

We are quite strong elsewhere though. Many teams would like the problem of having to choose which striker to drop, bent or Gabby.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal