collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Big Managerial Decisions  (Read 8195 times)

Offline MalcolmP

Re: Big Managerial Decisions
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
This is going to go down like a lead balloon I'm sure but I think the biggest issue for us is Petrov.  He's only played well in a midfield pair when he's had someone very very good alongside him (Barry for a season who controlled play superbly and Milner for a season who did all the running for him).  Since then every time we've tried to pair him with someone we've looked poor and the consistent in that has been Petrov.

I think if we seriously want to give 442 a go we need to drop petrov and give Clark and Ireland a go together.  If it doesn't work go back to the 451 and try to get a midfielder in who can boss the game during the summer.

Drop Petrov? - he has been our best and most consistent player this season  !

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »
We spent most of last season with Warnock out of the team. this time last year the LB position was being shared competently by Baker and Clark.

I'd rather Clark stayed where he is. If we're not going to use Baker  at LB, where are we going to use him? Whatever his qualities, playing him at CB would probably be a risk too far.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »
This is going to go down like a lead balloon I'm sure but I think the biggest issue for us is Petrov.  He's only played well in a midfield pair when he's had someone very very good alongside him (Barry for a season who controlled play superbly and Milner for a season who did all the running for him).  Since then every time we've tried to pair him with someone we've looked poor and the consistent in that has been Petrov.

I think if we seriously want to give 442 a go we need to drop petrov and give Clark and Ireland a go together.  If it doesn't work go back to the 451 and try to get a midfielder in who can boss the game during the summer.

Drop Petrov? - he has been our best and most consistent player this season  !

That's why I said it wouldn't go down well.  I think the issue is Petrov is a great player withe the side setup to suit him.  The issue is I don't think setting the side up to suit him necessarily leads to our other players being in their best role, the whole Bent or Gabby up top on their own is, in my opinion, as a result of playing a 3 in midfield to get the most out of Petrov.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 09:39:08 AM »
We can do far better than Petrov.  Just because he has been a consistent performer this season, I really cant see what all the fuss about him is.  He doesn't offer much in drive, passion, determination, strength, vision or attacking qualities.  Ok so he has scored some good goals this season but what happened to the previous seasons?  HE is far overrated in my opinion and the sooner we can start phasing him out just like GH was doing, the better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal