collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Big Managerial Decisions  (Read 8198 times)

Offline lukey27

Big Managerial Decisions
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
I was just wondering what other fans think about a statement Mcleish made when he took the job on. He said at the time [I'm paraphrasing] that he's not afraid to make the big decisions and if players are not performing he will have no qualms about dropping them.

We're now in January and I actually think as a pure half term report he has done the polar opposite of this. Our best performance and result of the season by a mile was at Chlesea and we haven't seen that team in the three games since. He instead has tried to accomodate too many players to the detriment of the formation. We clearly are suited to a man up front an Ireland or a Gabby behind and then two guys wide with two holding and I don't think any of the three attacking players who played Saturday are suited to playing wide left.

On Saturday, Ireland was started on the the left and then brought inside when it clearly wasn't working. Albrighton struggled and yet only one sub, Keane coming on basically as a midfielder.

Big decisions seem to be beyond Mcleish, in team selection and subsitutions, he waits an age to make any changes.

Warnock, Hutton and Collins have all been inconsistent this season. In the case of Warnock he's been abysmal. Mcleish hasn't backed his words up and dropped these guys. Tactically there are real concerns.

If necessary this can be merged, because I don't want this to be another attack Mcleish thread because I'm not that reactionary but I've seen all our games this season and there's real worries

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Big Managerial Decisions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »
To be fair he dropped Hutton for Cuellar-Cuellars injured at the moment so has had to bring him back

Offline lukey27

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
He only brought Cuellar in when Hutton idiotically got himself sent off against Arsenal.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
He only brought Cuellar in when Hutton idiotically got himself sent off against Arsenal.
He was benched against Chelsea though and  IIRC came on when CC picked up an injury

Warnock needs to be dropped next game there but can't think of who we can put ther Enda, Lichaj ?? Clark's needed in midfield whilst Herd's injured
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:04:45 PM by ZoggyAlways »

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »
Cuellar was on the bench Saturday?

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
More worrying for me is that in AMc's post match he stated that he didn't bring Keane on earlier as he was worried it might open up a few gaps for Everton. This cautious approach at home might have cost us 2 points?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Sometimes 'big decisions' are those where he decides not to change things and stick by a player.  We have limited options in some areas of the pitch, so in many respects his hands have been tied also. 

At present he's playing Albrighton over his big summer signing, so that's a pretty brave decision.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
Cuellar was on the bench Saturday?
I think he'd only started back training on Thursday

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »
The big managerial decision for me is the fact that he still persists with Warnock.  We are effectively down to 10 men with him in the side he's that poor this season.  He was poor last too but Houllier sussed that one very early. 

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »
He was benched against Chelsea though and  IIRC came on when CC picked up an injury

Warnock needs to be dropped next game there but can't think of who we can put ther Enda, Lichaj ?? Clark's needed in midfield whilst Herd's injured

Here's a system we can try:-

4-4-2 with Petrov and Ireland in the centre, meaning Clark can play LB.  We start with Gabby upfront and N'Zogbia wide, but give them some freedom to swap, with Charlie playing a little deeper behind Bent when switching centrally.  Ireland would need to be a bit more disciplined in his game and prompt from deeper, but he's been showing the work ethic lately so that shouldn't be a problem.

Bench options are Keane and Warnock/Edna Stephens.  Keane if we need a goal for who ever is playing worst out of Gabby/N'Zog/Marc or should we want to tighten things up, bring a natural LB on and move Clark into a midfield three, with one of the same three making way, or Bent if he's not in the game with Gabby moving up top to occupy their back 4 better.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:18:25 PM by John M'Zog »

Offline dutchvilla

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
I think Clark is too slow for left back

Ireland and Petrov as a central two has not worked in the past (eg Newcastle away last season). Ireland's playing a lot better now, but may still tend to go awol, leaving Petrov isolated, which he does not have the pace or energy to cope with.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »
Clark wouldn't be the most attacking of LBs, but solid defensively and comfortable on the ball, which would be a big improvement from Warnock right now.  Not a longterm solution, but maybe a short term answer.

As for Ireland in a central 2, the disinterested Ireland we've previosuly seen would leave us exposed, but the 'at it' one of the last few games would not.  Again, just an idea that may or may not work.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 02:50:22 PM »
I dont think AM can stick to his word at the moment due to the lack of personnel he can trust to replace the under performing ones.  yes we would like to see some of the youth players being given a run but I think he is too cautious to go down that road especially the position we are in.  He looks like he would rather stick with the experience rather than the inexperienced ones in case it all goes tits up rather than thinking it could have a positive impact.
Basically my mate (who is a nose) said that he will set you up not to lose which is a risk in its self as it has backfired on him.  Its about time he did drop Warnock though closely followed by Hutton.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
What I dont like about AMC . Its gets to 65/70 minutes , you are playing a leggy poor Everton side without their two main CB's and do you go for the kill . No , you just make sure you dont lose the game.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
Well, he did substitute a LB for a striker, which is a very attacking move, even if he could have done it earlier.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal