collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Ireland  (Read 21915 times)

Offline Rick_avfc

Re: Stephen Ireland
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »
I hope he can maintain this form and improve.  I think he needs the right players around him for him to take it to the next level.  Keep it up Ireland.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
I've always sympathised with him over the miscarriage thing. Maybe he and his girlfriend really wanted it to remain a private matter and the lie about his nan was seen by them as the lesser of two evils. I can understand that and certainly don't agree with the posters on here who think he's mentally ill. Also think it was quite admirable the way he fought for and won custody of his children. Can't see many 19 year-old professional footballers bothering their arse with all that.

Supremely talented player BTW.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:28:28 PM by PercyN'thehood »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »

We've recently seen some great football from the enigmatic Stephen Ireland
Your use of the word "enigmatic" sums up the answer to your question: who knows!

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »
In terms of pure technical ability he's our best player by a mile.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »

Who's now playing with a smile.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 04:07:13 AM »
I'll admit that I was convinced he was a nut case that we should be looking to get rid of.

Well done to the player for proving that he gives a shit and for his recent upturn in form.

And well done to McLeish for getting the best out of the player. (Something which Mancini, Houllier and Pardew didn't manage to do.)

The explanation that I'm sticking to now, is that his poor form was probably more down to a lack of fitness, and not so much a bad attitude. He's probably a complex character, whose form, fitness, motivation and confidence are strongly linked (all them because the cause of others).

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 05:15:02 AM »
I can't agree with this enough. None of our midfielders with the exception of a luke-warm Barry Bannan can actually receive a ball and pass it to their teammate. While Gabby is still an incredible asset to this team, Ireland's ability to retain possession while having a keen eye for threatening passes is bar none on this squad. I expect to see a lot more Ireland shirts next season.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
His interception that led to Bents goal against Chelsea was top class, don't think any other Villa player could have done it.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »
It's nice to see him looking like he wants to play for us, rather than looking like he has been sent here as a punishment.

I think he's a confidence player, and being a makeweight in the Milner deal just made him feel second rate. He seems to be getting that confidence back and winning over the fans is now putting him on an upward spiral instead of a downward one.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »
His interception that led to Bents goal against Chelsea was top class, don't think any other Villa player could have done it.

He rarely makes a tackle, but always seems to intercept. His reading of the game is top notch.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 10:01:12 AM »

He rarely makes a tackle, but always seems to intercept. His reading of the game is top notch.

To be fair the way red cards are being dished out at the moment you're better off being an interceptor than a tackler

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »

To be fair the way red cards are being dished out at the moment you're better off being an interceptor than a tackler

I agree, we've seen how Delph who is a tackler gets himself booked early on and then is missing for the rest of the game

Offline sg

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
I hope he can maintain this form and improve.  I think he needs the right players around him for him to take it to the next level.  Keep it up Ireland.
+1.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »
He always had the ability but that's useless if your head isn't right (see one SVC, probably the most talented striker of his generation).  Love to watch him play when he's at the races, and he has been lately. Needs to stay in the middle though, not out wide, and he could do with the other players being a bit more on his wavelength and offering more movement.   I do have this nagging doubt that his chance for rehabilitation only came about because of the (new) Jenas injury, but whatever, it seems to be working out well so far.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
I do have this nagging doubt that his chance for rehabilitation only came about because of the (new) Jenas injury, but whatever, it seems to be working out well so far.
Indeed. You have to take your chance when it comes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal