collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Ireland  (Read 21995 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Stephen Ireland
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 12:40:53 PM »
I'd rather concentrate on the positives .

There's a turn-up.

Clearly change is all around us and not just with Ireland!

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
Can tell he appreciated the fans singing his name.

I liked how he clapped himself when the anncouncer read out he was MOTM. ;D

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »
The answer is yes unless he is completely stupid.  He needs to make sure he is selected by  ROI in their WC squad. That would be a great chance for him to showcase his talent against the best in the world. I suppose the   thing that could de-motivate him  is our general form and  having to play with inadequate players but  he should use that as a positive opportunity to shine.
I thought he had retired from international football after being found out telling lies about his grandmothers dying when in fact his girfriend had had a miscarriage or something like that. Why didnt he tell the truth? no one would have thought lesser of him.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
Yep, his form won't get him back into the Ireland fold as even if he asked to be considered again, I think he's burned his bridges with Trapatoni.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
Hope he continues in this way, because he does seem to have gain a connection with the crowd and he can do things others players can't.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 01:40:56 PM »
He was definitely the best player on the pitch on Saturday from either side. Just hope he can do it consistently for us.
In a way he's our Mario Ballotelli, mad as a hatter and you just never know what he's going to do next.
He obviously appreciates the crowds reaction to his recent  form.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
"It's one of the targets I've set, to get on better with the fans," Ireland said. "It's nice when they sing your name. I've not had the greatest of relationships with them but I've not had a consistent run in the team. It's been frustrating but I seem to be playing now and I'm pleased."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/15/stephen-ireland-aston-villa-everton

That first quote there is key. He's set himself targets and is looking to get his career back on track. I really hope it works out for him (and in turn us), as I like an enigma, and he's just a very enjoyable footballer to watch. My kind of player.

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
I like him. Technically very good. And I like the flicks here and there. He's willing to be unpredictable and when he's got a chance to deliver, he delivers decent service. He kind of reminds me of Nol Solano a little bit. A touch of flair amongst average footballers.

What I'd like now is for him to take it a step further a make me think of the Merse.

We'll see how it goes, but I'd like to think he'll do the business. He's got a great engine too, so if he maintains his form, I don't think he'd need to much resting between now and the end of the season.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
if he maintains his form, I don't think he'd need to much resting between now and the end of the season.

I shouldn't fucking think so - he's hardly played for 18 months!

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 07:06:32 PM »
If he I never thought he'd make it with us so I am pleasantly surprised.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
I just hope he is improving as he is beginning to feel more involved and more settled.  I think he is certainly capable of maintaining his form, but I accept that like most players he will have the odd poor game.  When this happens, I just hope the fans have patience and stick with him because if he loses confidence, we might not see him get it back.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
I've defended him as much as possible over the past 16 months when it's been very hard to do so!

I believe that certain players who are capable of producing something special need to be treated specially at times, even molly-coddled to an extent if necessary, in order to coax the best out of them. If he feels wanted and is given a chance, which seems to be happening at the moment, it can only be good for all of us.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 08:57:12 PM »
The answer is yes unless he is completely stupid.  He needs to make sure he is selected by  ROI in their WC squad.
Won't he need an affidavit proving he has no more grannies?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »
Can tell he appreciated the fans singing his name.

I liked how he clapped himself when the anncouncer read out he was MOTM. ;D

Yeah, reminded me of when Ginola did that one time (can't remember who against - Fulham maybe?). Difference is time was never going to be kind to Ginola after that, whereas Ireland has nothing if not time on his side to carry on improving.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
I like his eye for a pass (needs team-mates to have an eye for them too though), the way he makes space for himself, and the fact that, although he couldn't tackle rice-paper, he has this trick of sneaking up behind people and nicking the ball off them.

More goals would be nice, and once he's won the fans over he should make request appearances in a variety of comedy wigs. Again. I'm torn between a Beatles wig or a Fellaini wig. Either would be great fun and far more entertaining than the football currently.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:54:52 PM by Rocket Reducer No. 62 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal