collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Ireland  (Read 21996 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Stephen Ireland
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
This has been debated a bit on the transfer thread, but thought it worthy of it's own home.

We've recently seen some great football from the enigmatic Stephen Ireland, with him finally showing us what he's capable of.  I doubt anyone thought he lacked the ability, but his head wasn't right, which has been a feature through out his career, and we had an expensive duffer on our hands.  Until recently, that is.

So the big question is will he keep this up and prove to be an asset to the club or is this a just a temporary return to good form until the next thing sets him off and he goes back to being a liability for us?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Stephen Ireland
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
It's impossible to know but something has certainly clicked recently. I was always against the signing and have been one of his biggest critics but I am really enjoying watching him at the moment. I hope that as his understanding with others develops we'll see even more from him but there is always the nagging doubt that it could all turn again. However, I'd rather concentrate on the positives and look forward to more of the same.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
I'd rather concentrate on the positives .

There's a turn-up.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
He's impressed with his last few showings but If there was more movement around him we'd see the real Stephen Ireland. 

I think he will work well with Keane who always makes himself busy.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »
Really liked him when he was at City and was unlucky to be pipped to young player of the year by Ashley Young.

Was chuffed (as I could be) after losing Milner and Ireland coming in as part of the deal.

Really hope now he maintains this form & effort. He's exactly the type of midfielder we've been missing.

He seems the only player in our team with a bit of imagination.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
Any player not performing is the fault of McLeish.
Stephen Ireland playing better is a flash in the pan. A fluke. It won't last. Then we can blame McLeish for that as well.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »
Stephen Ireland playing better is a flash in the pan. A fluke. It won't last. Then we can blame McLeish for that as well.

The thread isn't meant to be pro or anti McLeish in any way - just trying to guage the views of H&V as to whether Ireland has truely turned the corner for us or not.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »

The thread isn't meant to be pro or anti McLeish in any way - just trying to guage the views of H&V as to whether Ireland has truely turned the corner for us or not.

OK. I accept that. It seems like every thread is an excuse for a pop at McLeish. Unfortunately one of his supporters, me, got in before his opponents.
I would like to hit the 'yes' button but it might prove to be the kiss of death. If he is still playing an improved game come the end of the season then we must hope that he has helped to pick up the games of a few other poor performers along with him.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
Ireland on form is a top Premiership midfielder and at this moment in time he's definitely on form.It appeared that Houllier never wanted him and he's obviously the type who needs to feel wanted.Whatever Mcleish is doing with him it's working and in all fairness to McLeish he's playing ireland at the expense of his biggest signing N'Zogbia.That takes courage so fair play.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »
I hope it's a sign of things to come. However, based on his performances over his time at Villa, and being aware of the sort of person he is (albeit through word of mouth), I don't think it will last, which is a shame because playing like this he could play centre-midfield easily as he's (currently) willing to put the effort in when he doesn't have the ball as well as using the ball really well.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »
He is starting to show what he can do now.

Whilst there's a way to go still, and these are early days, I think he deserves as much encouragement as we can get him now.

Offline Merv

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
Promising signs (at last) from a player I'd always rated - until he pulled a Villa shirt on! If he can stay fit, which has been a problem since he joined us, and get a run of games in the side (something that he's never managed, for various reasons, before), then we could yet have a very good player on our hands. He's 25 years old and should be approaching his prime - be great if that's with us. He's playing himself into a bit of form.

Only slight grumble would be that I don't like seeing him wide left, instead of N'Zogbia. I think we'll see the best of him either as that third midfield in a 4-3-3/4-5-1/4-2-3-1 set up, or even, perhaps, in a 4-4-2 alongside a set defensive midfielder (could he, perhaps, do the job Petrov is doing, if he had Clark or Herd in there?)

Encouraging signs though.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
Its hardly great football, good yes but great no. Or is how we see things during the crap that is being served up, a few minutes here and a few minutes there. He still owes us for the millions we have paid him for 18 months of moaning/bench warming/ lack of interest.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »
It's right that everyone is a bit cautious but it is great to see a Villa player who gets people off their seats when he's on the ball around the penalty area. He is a talented and exciting player - and he will create chances for us if the players begin to make the right movement for him and get on his wavelength.

As a season ticket holder, he is one of the reasons I'm sticking it out at the moment.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »
The answer is yes unless he is completely stupid.  He needs to make sure he is selected by  ROI in their WC squad. That would be a great chance for him to showcase his talent against the best in the world. I suppose the   thing that could de-motivate him  is our general form and  having to play with inadequate players but  he should use that as a positive opportunity to shine.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal