collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mystery Man  (Read 11420 times)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Re: Mystery Man
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 11:21:24 PM »
It is Bill Wyman.
By the way, the famous World Cup Willie was at Bristol. What a character!

Last time I asked he said there were seven grounds with floodlights in England he hadn't been to.
He is worried that, if we play at Cardiff, he won't get a ticket. I will personally get him a ticket.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »
Jesus Dave drinks in the Bartons.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »

I assume you are talking about the guy sat down 3rd from the right in this picture from the Gornik trip in the 1970s.

When I followed the Villa religiously home and away in the 3rd division he would always be there. Never ever spoke to him but the faces of people like his feels as much a part of my formative Villa following years as Chico Hamiltons, Ray Graydons and Andy Lochheads.

When I get to the odd away game now he is still always there. The game is more often than not at some purpose built stadium on a retail park played at some time other than Saturday 3pm, and I am forced to buy a seat in advance weeks before to ensure I can go. Going to away games now is so different, and usually not for the better. But thinking about it, if I see him wandering past me outside an away ground it all feels re-assuring.           

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »

I assume you are talking about the guy sat down 3rd from the right in this picture from the Gornik trip in the 1970s.

When I followed the Villa religiously home and away in the 3rd division he would always be there. Never ever spoke to him but the faces of people like his feels as much a part of my formative Villa following years as Chico Hamiltons, Ray Graydons and Andy Lochheads.

When I get to the odd away game now he is still always there. The game is more often than not at some purpose built stadium on a retail park played at some time other than Saturday 3pm, and I am forced to buy a seat in advance weeks before to ensure I can go. Going to away games now is so different, and usually not for the better. But thinking about it, if I see him wandering past me outside an away ground it all feels re-assuring.           

No. That is Fagin. I think his name is John McGovern or something similar. He used to work in Hudsons bookshop in town.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
Does he live in Atherstone, I spoke to him in a cafe there if its the same fella.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
That's Jesus Dave, always been here and always will be. I think he actually is God

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
He looks more like Jimmy Page with full 70's beard.
We always sang the riff to "Whole lotta Love" whenever we saw him back in the day.

And that was quite often. He always walked at a brisk pace with the determination of one who knew just where he was going.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
I do most away games and i've never seen him. I shall be on 'Jesus Dave' watch next time though.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
Once you've seen him for the first time, you'll see him over and over again for the rest of your life.  In the most obscure places too. 

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »
Once you've seen him for the first time, you'll see him over and over again for the rest of your life.  In the most obscure places too. 

But you never see him walking. He just appears, magically.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »
He now sits near me in block B6 where all the complimentary tickets seem to be.  Like Dave says, he seems to float up the steps just before kick off and I don't think I've ever seen him speak to anyone.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
You sure he's real? Could be a non-fixed apparition of a former fan, or possibly a mass shared psychic illusion generated by those expecting to see him. Someone should try to touch him.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »
Jesus Dave drinks in the Bartons.
..and is a very nice chap, always very friendly

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here he is, standing in the background. I know he looks nothing like Bill Wyman but we have called him that for over 30 years so maybe he did once.
This was taken in an excellent pub in Bolton last season, I think.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »
This was taken in an excellent pub in Bolton last season, I think.
Or Blackburn?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal