collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish could be the manager to take this club forward  (Read 91051 times)

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: McLeish could be the manager to take this club forward
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
I just can't see any positives to him still being here in the summer, he's bought in 4 players so far, Jenas can't be judged other than was it a good idea to offer that loan deal for a guy who's had that many injury problems but the others: N'Zogbia has been pretty poor and mcleish hasn't got any idea how to get the best out of him; Hutton has been awful, he is reckless defensively and always looks likely to give something away and offers nothing going forward; Keane it's too early to judge but then by the time he's settled he'll be off again so seems a waste of time to me.

Shay Given?

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 10:36:29 PM »
He was bought in to do the job that he is doing, keep us in the PL without investment, wether our Chairman factored in the decline in attendancies and the general apathy around the club is another matter.
The Telegraph reported today that we are down £1.5 miilion match day revenue, over 19 games thats £28.5 million and you would have to guess that this will get worse over the next half of the season, and what about next season?
As Paulie said, RL has managed to completely wipe out the momentum form his previous investment.
These numbers are significant.

I think it is £1.5 million a season not per game.............
yes silly me, i guess £1.5 million is not such a big deal

It is £1.05M per game. 30x35,000 = 1.05M.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:38:40 PM by Jimmy Smash »

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
He was bought in to do the job that he is doing, keep us in the PL without investment, wether our Chairman factored in the decline in attendancies and the general apathy around the club is another matter.
The Telegraph reported today that we are down £1.5 miilion match day revenue, over 19 games thats £28.5 million and you would have to guess that this will get worse over the next half of the season, and what about next season?
As Paulie said, RL has managed to completely wipe out the momentum form his previous investment.
These numbers are significant.

I think it is £1.5 million a season not per game.............
yes silly me, i guess £1.5 million is not such a big deal

It is £1.5M pet game. 30x35,000 = 1.5M.

I'm confused now. Maths has never been my strong point. You're saying that 35,000 people are spending £30 less per game this season so costing us £1.5m per game?

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »
Sorry. Slipped a decimal point in my first post. £30 x 35,00 people is £1.05M. Just quoting the projected receipts for that particular gate.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:42:31 PM by Jimmy Smash »

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »
Sorry. Slipped a decimal point in my first post. £30 x 35,00 people is £1.05M.

I'm still confused! How are we making £30 less per game x 35,000 people? Surely that would only be the case if we had crowds that were 35,000 lower than last year?

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 10:58:05 PM »
Yeah 8 of the 11 were from a team which finished sixth three times. That's hardly making McLeish look brilliant is it?

Erm...

Given - 0
Hutton - 0
Collins - 1
Dunne - 1
Warnock - 1
Albrighton - 0
Petrov - 3
Clark - 0
Ireland - 0
Agbonlahor - 3
Bent - 0

Well thats a fair enough point.

But then you have to consider that Ireland, Bent and Given are all quality players.

We SHOULD be doing better.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
Well done him for taking off Warnock and bringing on Keane. It was an attacking substitution that could've cost us a point but could've won us two. Exactly the sort of change that his detractors say he is scared to make.
I would have liked Keane on at 60 mins but who should Alex have taken off?

The only answer to this is to play every game behind closed doors because the whingeing is doing my head in.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 11:12:37 PM »
Well done him for taking off Warnock and bringing on Keane. It was an attacking substitution that could've cost us a point but could've won us two. Exactly the sort of change that his detractors say he is scared to make.

The only answer to this is to play every game behind closed doors because the whingeing is doing my head in.

Exactly. The only player AM could've brought off without being booed and moaned at was Warnock, and he did it. People were calling out for Keane, but had no idea who to bring him on for. I bet there was very, very few people who suggested bringing him on for Warnock. Makes you wonder if people just wanted Keane on so they could boo in "protest" at whoever was going to brought off.

Away games are the way forward. Much more enjoyable.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 01:07:20 AM »
Nigel i would just like to say fairplay for starting this thread which i suggested Saturday morning.

The Mcleish out thread was self destructing our own club. This way it can change the nature in which we view our managers position. Hawkeye points out he was brought in to do the job he is doing and Paul_e questions his signings (but forgets to mention Shay Given) CBBB kind of somes it up for me. Everyone wanted Keane on yesterday but we were having our best period of the game except Warnock. So he replaced him. We have to get behind Mcleish and start looking at players who do not perform and hope he does something about them like he did today .....

Offline caster troy

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 03:07:19 AM »
Nice sentiments here but I doubt McLeish will ever be accepted as our manager. He needed to get off to a flyer and prove his critics wrong early to get fans on board but everything has gone as expected. Who is surprised to see us in this state? No-one, it felt like our destiny from the minute McLeish was confirmed.

Yes the fans could have been more patient but when no-one wanted him in the first place and he was appointed after many thousands had already renewed their tickets, why should we be? It's human nature to be stubborn and say 'I told you so' if someone doesn't take your advice and it feels like that is happening on a large scale with many fans right now.

The worst thing for me now is that we are going to be in that middle ground where we are a poor unwatchable team but not quite bad enough for Lerner/Faulkner to admit they got it wrong and sack him.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »

Although you could argue that playing by playing both Clark and Petrov at home is too defensive in the first place and maybe we should have started with 2 strikers up top

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 08:20:28 AM »
Sorry. Slipped a decimal point in my first post. £30 x 35,00 people is £1.05M. Just quoting the projected receipts for that particular gate.
We are down on average 2.5K per game - I did the maths on another thread but at say £40 per ticket that is £100K lost per game. Over 19 home games that is £1.9million give or take a few £100K for cheaper tickets.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »

Although you could argue that playing by playing both Clark and Petrov at home is too defensive in the first place and maybe we should have started with 2 strikers up top

Two strikers and Ireland in a free role would have left us far too open, in my opinion whereas the 4-2-3-1  gives freedom for your front 4 to attack.

As to the main point we're a club that is currently geared up to being mid-table, we've cut the squad and are spending a season assessing which of our youngsters are going to be up to the job long term. So McLeish is doing exactly what is expected of him. He's also done something tat Houllier completely failed to do and find a way of getting the best outvof Stephen Ireand.

The test will be what happens next, I liked the tone of his email next week and despite my misgivings over his appointment I've a feeling he might well surprise us all..

Offline Simba

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »
Interesting economics. BPS100k lost per game. Two players weekly wage. No wonder the wage bill is over 80% of revenue. Unsustainable.

And no, AMCl is not the manager to take us forward. With our squad we should be performing much better and after half a season performing with more fluidity, consistancy, guile and threat. imho

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »

I'd have made a double substitution. Keane for Warnock. And n'zogbia for Gabby. Gabby just wasn't at the races yesterday!

I really like Mcleish as a bloke and I'm not for slagging him or the team off during the match. it doesn't help. But this negative football is drivvel.

The midfield play far too deep, and pratically sit om the back four. That simply ist good enough. Apart from the midfield 3 of Clark, Petrov and Ireland we look out of shape.

It might sound drastic, but I'd remove Mcleish and give the job to
Kev Mac and Sid

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal