collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:16:08 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish could be the manager to take this club forward  (Read 90652 times)

Offline nigel

McLeish could be the manager to take this club forward
« on: January 14, 2012, 06:31:17 PM »
As Walters Warriors requested.
My opinion: Why shouldn't he be the one?
He came into the job knowing that he'd have to balance the books and sell before buying. All this after losing our 2 best players from the previous season.
We all knew this was going to be a very difficult season, I do feel some supporters have delusions of grandeur in their expectations.
We have to give him this season to sort things out, then, hopefully, Randy will allow him to put his mark on the team. You have to remember that 8 of the 11 today were from MO'Ns team!!
 ............................... over to you

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: McLeish could be the manager to take this club forward
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:36:12 PM »
Tin hat time, I reckon Nigel.

He's not as black as some paint him, I will give you that and I definitely don't think Lerner's austerity regime is helping him or the fact that he is forced to persist with the same useless players who have let us down in the past. What we needed to do was to clear the decks and get shot of the players who caused us problems as Houllier wanted.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you say Nigel, but this might not be a good time to consider the positives. We all need to see the positives in front of our eyes first before we believe, and the last 12-18 months have made skeptics out of all us to one degree or another. McLeish will be given time by the board to put his stamp on the club, he just doesn't have the time normally afforded to manager's that might have arrived under different circumstances. But those are the cards he's been dealt.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »
As Walters Warriors requested.
My opinion: Why shouldn't he be the one?
He came into the job knowing that he'd have to balance the books and sell before buying. All this after losing our 2 best players from the previous season.
We all knew this was going to be a very difficult season, I do feel some supporters have delusions of grandeur in their expectations.
We have to give him this season to sort things out, then, hopefully, Randy will allow him to put his mark on the team. You have to remember that 8 of the 11 today were from MO'Ns team!!
 ............................... over to you

Yeah 8 of the 11 were from a team which finished sixth three times. That's hardly making McLeish look brilliant is it?

Obviously, losing four home games on the bounce, not winning any of the last five, and only scoring two goals in the process is great, and you have to be deluded to think otherwise.

So where is the evidence he might be the man? Not the excuses, the things that point to him being a good appointment? A list of excuses isn't it, by the way.

You're right, though, we have to give him this season, as Randy won't sack him, but look at the state of our club and the way things are going.

Well done, Mr Chairman, your pathetic running of the club has pissed away everything your money had achieved in four years, and we are back where we started.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:04:53 PM »
He relegated a team twice from the PL. They way we are going 21 games 24 points  follows Small Heath's  performance last year. So his results coupled with  his style of football I am afraid he is not the man.

Paul Lambert is our man. Young , hungry, innovative  playing  modern day football.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »
He needs to wholesale change our back four. Sell those 4 who started today. Give them frees, get them off the wage bill. Sign some decent defenders. At a push, I'd keep Dunne, but the other 3 are a disgrace. And we need to do that now, in January.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
I'm not impressed by McLeish, but there is no point in sacking him mid-season unless he drags us into a relegation battle. Also, the appointment of Big Eck is also just one of a several strange decisions made by the board in recent years.

It's as if Lerner feels that that after the gluttony of the MON years have to go through purgatory and be cleansed before we are able to aim for success again. And the list of MON's sins seem to be very long, because the end of the period in purgatory is still not in sight* - despite the sales of Harewood, Sidwell, NRC, Carew, Young, Young, Downing etc.

*However, from this perspective, the appointment of McLeish makes sense: the more we suffer in purgatory, the faster we're cleansed.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
Yeah 8 of the 11 were from a team which finished sixth three times. That's hardly making McLeish look brilliant is it?

Erm...

Given - 0
Hutton - 0
Collins - 1
Dunne - 1
Warnock - 1
Albrighton - 0
Petrov - 3
Clark - 0
Ireland - 0
Agbonlahor - 3
Bent - 0

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
He was bought in to do the job that he is doing, keep us in the PL without investment, wether our Chairman factored in the decline in attendancies and the general apathy around the club is another matter.
The Telegraph reported today that we are down £1.5 miilion match day revenue, over 19 games thats £28.5 million and you would have to guess that this will get worse over the next half of the season, and what about next season?
As Paulie said, RL has managed to completely wipe out the momentum form his previous investment.
These numbers are significant.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
He was bought in to do the job that he is doing, keep us in the PL without investment, wether our Chairman factored in the decline in attendancies and the general apathy around the club is another matter.
The Telegraph reported today that we are down £1.5 miilion match day revenue, over 19 games thats £28.5 million and you would have to guess that this will get worse over the next half of the season, and what about next season?
As Paulie said, RL has managed to completely wipe out the momentum form his previous investment.

Bang on, nobody should doubt the significance or impact this could have on the club come the summer should we continue down this road, the knock on effect this will have on next season should we survive this, the only possible way of redressing this kind of loss is to sell players.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 07:59:02 PM »

I think it is £1.5 million a season not per game.............

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Alex
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 08:07:41 PM »
Well done him for taking off Warnock and bringing on Keane. It was an attacking substitution that could've cost us a point but could've won us two. Exactly the sort of change that his detractors say he is scared to make.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »

I think it is £1.5 million a season not per game.............
yes silly me, i guess £1.5 million is not such a big deal

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
No he's not.  Yes we've got a pretty weak squad and he is having to work in some shitty conditions but he's done nothing to help himself.

Not having the balls to drop under-performing players is unforgivable.  Over the last 5-6 games warnock has had 1 good performance against chelsea and the rest have been 2-3 out 10 at best.  Heskey and Collins have also had far more time on the pitch than their performances have merited.

Using the small squad excuse is unforgivable.  Against Bristol Rovers Petrov played a full game when we could've taken him off at half time and given Gardner or Bannan a good run out rather than a pointless few minutes at the end.

He's also made lots of comments about not being negative but every week the team lines up in the first half to hold positions and play it safe (this is assumed form the fact that it happens every week, if it's not under instruction then his failing is a complete inability to get the team to do what he wants, either way it's piss poor).

I just can't see any positives to him still being here in the summer, he's bought in 4 players so far, Jenas can't be judged other than was it a good idea to offer that loan deal for a guy who's had that many injury problems but the others: N'Zogbia has been pretty poor and mcleish hasn't got any idea how to get the best out of him; Hutton has been awful, he is reckless defensively and always looks likely to give something away and offers nothing going forward; Keane it's too early to judge but then by the time he's settled he'll be off again so seems a waste of time to me.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 10:27:16 PM »
You should send this question into Fighting Talk in 5Live for the final 'Defend the Indefensible' question.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal