collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What is the future of Villa Park?  (Read 55241 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: What is the future of Villa Park?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
I can't see any work being done on the ground when we can't fill it we need to start getting bums on seats before we start building a new stand.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
We do not need to vastly increase the capacity of the stadium to increase revenue.  As the biggest club in the midlands we should be the ideal corporate venue for Tata/Jaguar/Rover etc to schmooze their clients (and countless other companies that have their HQ in the Midlands). 

I think a redeveloped North Stand could probably provide this VIP space.  As others have mentioned - if the laws allowed - it would be cool to have a standing section for the lower tier.  A bit of ting for the corporate yang.

What the hell it can even be renamed the Jaguar Stand for all I care.

A museum, the shop and even a small hotel should also be incorporated into the Jaguar Stand allowing the carpark area (and where the shop is now) to become some sort of retail/Leisure area to generate a bit more revenue and also bring people to the ground on non-match days.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
Cant see the North stand being redeveloped for a number of years.  I also dont see the point increasing the capacity of the stadium when we cant even fill it. 

Its a shame we missed out on the Olympics because we pulled out of it but glad we are not having any rugby games being played on the pitch.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
If we are not going to rebuild the North Stand, then please put the bloody screen back up!

I think that the screen has become a symbol, if its put back up the Villa will be admitting that the redevelopment will not go ahead.

While its down they can keep saying its not going back due to the redevelopment plans!

Lets just have some honesty from the club and all agree that it wont happen for at least 5 years, so lets make do with what we have. Clean it up a bit and put back the big screen so that the majority of home fans can see it!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
I think that the screen has become a symbol, if its put back up the Villa will be admitting that the redevelopment will not go ahead.

I think that thing they constructed there in its place is more of an indicator of that, to be honest.

What is it exactly? Doesn't look like a box.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »
We do not need to vastly increase the capacity of the stadium to increase revenue.  As the biggest club in the midlands we should be the ideal corporate venue for Tata/Jaguar/Rover etc to schmooze their clients (and countless other companies that have their HQ in the Midlands). 

I think a redeveloped North Stand could probably provide this VIP space.  As others have mentioned - if the laws allowed - it would be cool to have a standing section for the lower tier.  A bit of ting for the corporate yang.

Until we have a 'product' worth watching it's a very tough job selling to corporates. We already have superb facilities in the Trinity, some of the best catering in the country, wonderful views to the pitch (thanks 400) but the product still stinks. If I was a non-Villa fan and a client invited me to Villa Park, I'd seriously consider taking my business elsewhere.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
Until we have a 'product' worth watching it's a very tough job selling to corporates. We already have superb facilities in the Trinity, some of the best catering in the country, wonderful views to the pitch (thanks 400) but the product still stinks. If I was a non-Villa fan and a client invited me to Villa Park, I'd seriously consider taking my business elsewhere.

And you call me a drama queen? *wink*

You're right, though, ultimately it all comes down to the quality of the product on the pitch, and for too long, far too often it has been poor.

We have the misfortune that even when we were doing well under MON, it was far more about our away performances than home ones, which were still frequently horrible to watch (last two years particularly)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
If the new Witton End is going to take the capacity up by another 8000, it must be wrapping around the SWL Stand and Trinity Road Stand. It is difficult to envisage this when you see how far the Trinity goes towards the Witton, unless they were thinking of cutting the corner off. Either that or it is a free standing structure that is bigger than the Holte End. Interesting how the levels of the balconies on the two side stands match up or don't they?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
We could build a glass-foor structure which would be suspended above the centre-circle with space for 10,000 fans to look down. Obviously we would need to sell James Collins, for health and safety reasons.

Offline Simba

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
This is so true. (Paulie)If Footy has now become an 'entertainment' industry which apparently is why we pay the stars Las Vegas salaries , then give us entertainment. And results so that the paying customer can be happy and entertained.

Now (I talk as an elderly chap) that we as the paying public subsidise those stars and the recession means nothing to them with their fancy etc etc we are naturally less forgiving. Bloody angry actually when the lazy dross is served up. We can't empathise with these young Bentley driving whippersnappers any more.

Which is why we become less than happy to pay the crippling costs of watching a Club and players without ambition and confront the argument that if we don't attend we are not loyal fans.

Sure we are loyal but we are more financially loyal to our Family or credit card.

The crap we serve up is not just a loss to the Club revenue for non attendance NOW but for another generation because the Dads did not take their Sons.

Pointless present. Blighted future.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »
If the new Witton End is going to take the capacity up by another 8000, it must be wrapping around the SWL Stand and Trinity Road Stand. It is difficult to envisage this when you see how far the Trinity goes towards the Witton, unless they were thinking of cutting the corner off. Either that or it is a free standing structure that is bigger than the Holte End. Interesting how the levels of the balconies on the two side stands match up or don't they?

It wasn't your post that interested me so much DC5 but your signature

'Andy Lochhead's goal came when it seemed all 48000 of them were down on the pitch with us'

Memories - and that is what you call support!  Crombies, 2-tones and Royals (or DM's if you were hard)

Offline Villanation

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
With regards to bums on seats and therefore the need for greater capacity, I don't get down to Villa park that much these days but I do however have a good few friends that are ST holders and some that pay some pretty high prices for hospitality events, and they are all showing more and more lack of interest in spending money on the club, its not down to economics its mostly down to what they feels boring crap football.

IMO, get that right, get some ambition, get some players in, starting playing some attractive footy that may win us a few things or at least look as though we will die trying and then you will fill the place again and the need for greater capacity follows.

Seems obvious to me.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »
The stadium is fine as it is, for now.
Personally, I couldn't give a shit about development or increased capacity anymore.

I want things right on the pitch, THAT'S what is important.

Offline VillAndy

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »
Keep the North stand for the time being. IF the all-seater law is changed, the lower North would provide the ideal location for a trial safe standing area - designed as a terrace anyway, probably wouldn't cost too much to convert. If successful and subject to a vote of current lower Holte season ticket holders, the lower Holte could be fitted for safe standing.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
Keep the North stand for the time being. IF the all-seater law is changed, the lower North would provide the ideal location for a trial safe standing area - designed as a terrace anyway, probably wouldn't cost too much to convert. If successful and subject to a vote of current lower Holte season ticket holders, the lower Holte could be fitted for safe standing.

There's a slight problem with having the Lower North Stand as standing - it's next to the away fans so might not be the best area for a trial to show how we can be 'trusted' to stand.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal