collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Heskey or Cascarino?  (Read 19422 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Heskey or Cascarino?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
Heskey cost us 4th place almost single handedly. Ok, so he didn't insist on being picked but it amounts to the same thing. The current state of financial iffyness and desperation can be traced to that fatefull decision by MON to buy Emile to fire us into the CL places when the team was going along very nicely thank you. Heskey is also iconic in a way Cascarino could never hope to manage. Type emile into google and it will automatically predict your looking for emile heskey jokes and what's more there's plenty of them.

Heskey > Cascarino

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »
I tend to agree Greg.  Without saying it's all his fault, very little has gone right since Heskey arrived. 

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »
When I saw the title I thought it was a question of who would you play?

Although he's getting on a bit i'd play Cascarino.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:07 PM »
Ivanhoe all the way.

Cantscoreino will never be classed as an alltime great, but as Greg points out his goalscoring record for us -although not great- wasn't horrendous.

I'd put him in the bracket of many of our forwards down the years, someone who needed better service than he received.  Particularly under Venglos. At Millwall he had Jimmy Carter supplying crosses to him all afternoon and Edward Sheringham was the perfect foil for him.  At Villa, I recall one match v Arsenal at home where Cas- so starved of the ball- went out to the wing and crossed it in to... Chris Price.

Ivanhoe is just woeful.  That FIFA spoof knocking about a few months ago was frighteningly accurate. He's one of those players who makes opposition fans genuinely guffaw.

Cantscorino does get minus points for the way he pronounces Birmingham though, shouldn't overlook that.  Particularly since he lived in the area.

But in this Clash of the Shite'uns there can be only one...

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »
cascarino was worse just.   how much did he cost in todays value? I cant remember .   Stainrod was pretty bad until he scored 5 goals in a match I think .

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
whittingham was a big disapointment too

Offline wombat

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 01:19:53 PM »
Having seen both extensively I'd had to say Heskey.

Heskey had the potential to scare the living daylights out of people, instead he spent most of the time nowhere near the penalty area, fell over everytime he shot with his left foot and generally looked a bit confused. I don't think he ever fulfilled the player he should have been and now really needs to drop a couple of divisions or jack it in.

Cascarino had very little potential unless you put the ball right on his bonce, we knew what we were getting and it changed our style of play which for the last part of 89-90 was pretty disastrous. Dublin and Crouch although a better players had a similar effect in that whenever we played we lumped it at them. I remember Dublin not playing and Carbone and Merson playing up front, all of a sudden we played some excellent football which was great to see.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »
Casc was bad and might have cost us the title so probably more damaging.  But Heskey to me is a worse footballer whilst playing for us.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
At least we didn't have to pay Cantscorino over £60K per week for three years :o

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
What a shock, another thread to bash Heskey.

He doesn't even get close to being the worst striker (or signing) i've seen play for Villa. I wish every Villa signing in my Villa time had shown the same attitude as Heskey has, we'd have probably done a lot better over the last 30 years.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
whittingham was a big disapointment too

Though i don't think he was top quality,when he played he was played wide in a three with Saunders and Atkinson and it never worked,a bit like the Yorke,Collymore and Savo 'experiment' a couple of years later. I could never understand why managers bought players and never playedthem to their strengths.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 02:45:31 PM »
Heskey has rarely been first choice for us, he was signed as understudy to Carew. Cascarino was supposed to be the final piece in the jigsaw and was nowhere near good enough.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Cascarino edges it, it was the worst possible signing at that time. Heskey is well bad though

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
At the time i wanted us to sign Sheringham then I was disappointed when we got Cascarino who I think his far worse than Heskey.

Offline KRS

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »
Just for the fact that he gets paid so much and contributes so little. Heskey.

I still struggle to believe we signed him in the first place and its even more remarkable that he's still a Villa player. I'm sure he may be a great bloke off the pitch but he's completely shite and become so embarrassing that its almost funny.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:40:25 PM by KRS »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal