collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent  (Read 155200 times)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Re: Darren Bent
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »
Its a bit like the Family that for years had been relying on Terestial TV and finaly go out and spend all thier money on a Sky Package and a sattelite dish. Then the TV packs up.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »
I'm starting to be in the 'let him go' camp but only because we have a manager who is either incapable or unwilling to find a system that maximises Bents talent.  At the moment Bent is immensely average because he is being asked to do a job that is out of his comfort zone - he can't win hoofs in the air and when he is given 40 yd passes from defenders with his back to goal his first touch goes 5 yds.

Unfortunately we are stuck with AM so Bents days are numbered IMHO.

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »
If we sell Bent we are fucked. That is all

Offline Villanation

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:42 PM »
Sell to highest bidder and invest in promising hungry players.

Hoillet,Clyne, Dyer from Swansea (why not?)

Dyer from Swansea, i'll say, tell you what, if we don't, watch and see how fast one of the top sides are in for him, I rate him better than Ash Young.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »
I tell you what, a Darren Bent in the Swansea team today would have had a field day.

Don't sell, look to play to his strengths.
I tell you what, a Darren Bent in the Swansea team today would have had a field day.

Is the correct answer, really wish people would get of his case, he had terrible service today.

Offline KRS

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
The back 4 is our highest priority right now.
To be honest, there is so much wrong on the pitch right now that its genuinely hard to prioritise which positions need strengthening but certainly defense and midfield need the most work.

The same players were one of the strongest defensive units a couple of seasons ago, so the coaching staff need to go back to basics and remind them how to defend properly again. No doubt we need to bring in new players or something needs to change in training, but do you blame the same group of players or the coaching staff and management for the embarrassing incompetent mess that they have become?

Back on topic...I'm struggling to think of anything more stupid than to sell Bent. Yes he is a one trick pony, but when that pony is the one that can score you goals to win football matches then its blatantly the style of football and tactics that need to change otherwise that pony starts to look like a useless donkey.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:27:19 PM by KRS »

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
Bent is not a very good footballer but an excellent finisher, he thrives on opportunitys being created for him but does little to help the team in terms of hold up play, running of the ball and moving defenders around, he is pretty much a one trick pony, but a good trick, he scores goals if he is fed enough chances. He should be the cherry on the cake but unfortunately we dont have the base, so given the choice of a solid defence or Darren Bent, i would take the solid defence. The back 4 is our highest priority right now.

Is Bent a good finisher?

I think it's more he just has that nack of being in the right position. He misses an awful lot of chances that aren't piss easy.
Agree he squanders quite a few but with the right service will get himself in position, he does rely on the team creating the pressure that gives him the chances. I dont think we have the set up or the players to play to his strengths

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
Sell to highest bidder and invest in promising hungry players.

Hoillet,Clyne, Dyer from Swansea (why not?)

Dyer from Swansea, i'll say, tell you what, if we don't, watch and see how fast one of the top sides are in for him, I rate him better than Ash Young.

Funny thing is that I saw him play against QPR and thought that he looked lightweight, ineffective and out of his depth.

What a difference a couple of weeks make and different opposition who allow you time and space to make runs at the fullback.

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 09:27:20 PM »
Bent to go at full value. The side isn't as good with him in it. 4 or so new players to come in. McL isnt going anywhere til the end of his contract so we'll have to put up with him and hope for the best. Whether Randy will put the money back into the team is a different question.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
It'd be absolute madness to sell him. 

Also there's no guantentee that AM would A) Get the money and B) Not waste it.

I'd much rather we got a new Manager to be honest.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »
Ask yourself if we sell Bent AND mcleish is allowed to spend the money (which I doubt) would you trust him to buy the right players?? I would not

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »

I agree, but it took years and 3 managers with the same philosophy to get where they are now.
We started it last year with Houllier but bottles it.

Britton wouldn't even get a game at Villa, we have our own in jean Makoun but loan him out.

While Mcleish is our manager we will always be mediocre.

Offline KRS

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 09:29:33 PM »

I said exactly the same thing earlier. Bent is NOT the problem.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »

Is the correct answer, really wish people would get of his case, he had terrible service today.

I agree we should keep him but 15 corners isn't exactly terrible service. Bent made nothing out of the corners today, and wasn't exactly moving around making life difficult for Swansea's defense. He has got to work harder.

Offline Jimmy Smash

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
Trouble is... can he be arsed? Does he want to be here?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal