collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Skerra
[Today at 08:47:25 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:46:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:40:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:38:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 08:37:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:36:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 08:36:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 08:36:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Darren Bent  (Read 155293 times)

Offline Rick_avfc

Darren Bent
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »
Not sure if there is a Darren Bent topic anywhere but thought I would put the question out there.  Should he stay or should he go?  Some villa fans on twitter singling him out for not performing today.  Claiming he is bleeding the club dry with his high '110k' wages and massive 5m pound signing on fee with bonuses.  Also someone claiming that he has a clause in his contract stating that if he is fit then he HAS to play.  Other tweets include rubbish (IMO) that players do not like him as he is the highest payed player and doesn't put the effort in.  One tweeter went as far as saying that he DOESN'T even train ALL the time!?!

Right, I don't believe any of the above which I have read on twitter from these so called ITK's so wanted to see the views of the fans on H&V's.  I personally do not think its a good idea to sell Bent this transfer window.  Yes he has had a very inconsistent start to the season but we all know what he is capable of.  He is lacking consistent service and once that improves, im sure we will see the Bent who managed to bag the important goals for us that kept us up last season.

Offline barrysleftfoot

Re: Darren Bent
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »

The question for me is

Do we want to keep DB and his goals,or, if we have no money, sell him and buy 3/4 quality players to go straight in the 1st team?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
Stay, but we need to find the system that brings out the best in him otherwise we do spend too much time playing with 10 men.

I'd also think it's bollocks that we're paying him 110K a week or that he has it in his contract he has to play if fit.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:04:12 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:09 PM »
And what does the vote option mean? Yes he stays or yes he should go?

Offline Villanation

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:15 PM »
Yes he is capable, he has been horribly inconsistent, sure he would be the first to say that, problem is when a striker goes that way and it continues it often gets worse until something happens to change it, I agree he's not getting the service he needs as a player, but in order to provide that service we have to have the players and the quality to do that, its a catch 22 because Bent would be the player that we could sell to generate the dosh to get those players, problem is we lose Bent.

What to do, well I for 1 feel we would very comfortably survive with Gabby up front, he did it with ease for seasons under MON, and if selling Bent would mean we could get 1 or 2 quality players elsewhere, take the hit for me.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:33 PM »
It would be mad to sell Bent. Also for everyone saying he's useless they should look at his record for us, and bear in mind that today was his first start in 5 games so he's not going to be match sharp.

Offline KRS

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 09:07:26 PM »
You need to change the poll options...does "yes" mean he should stay or does "yes" mean he should go?

The correct answer is: Bent should stay and AM should go...and Randy should have appointed a manager capable of utilising our greatest asset on the pitch.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
You need to change the poll options...does "yes" mean he should stay or does "yes" mean he should go?

The correct answer is: Bent should stay and AM should go...and Randy should have appointed a manager capable of utilising our greatest asset on the pitch.

And of course this is the most accurate point of all and should be reflected in the poll some way, because if I was asked AM or a manager that knows how to use such assets as Darren Bent I know which choice I would make, and when Lerner can get his act together and look at the club I don't think it will be to long before he thinks the same.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »
For a team which scores as few goals as us to sell a goalscorer ike Bent would be suicide

Who else is going to score the goals?

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »
Bent is not a very good footballer but an excellent finisher, he thrives on opportunitys being created for him but does little to help the team in terms of hold up play, running of the ball and moving defenders around, he is pretty much a one trick pony, but a good trick, he scores goals if he is fed enough chances. He should be the cherry on the cake but unfortunately we dont have the base, so given the choice of a solid defence or Darren Bent, i would take the solid defence. The back 4 is our highest priority right now.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
Sell to highest bidder and invest in promising hungry players.

Hoillet,Clyne, Dyer from Swansea (why not?)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »
For a team which scores as few goals as us to sell a goalscorer ike Bent would be suicide

Who else is going to score the goals?

Bent isnt scoring goals, our problem is that we will allways concede, in a perfect world we would have a defence that allows us the luxury of someone like bent.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »
Bent is not a very good footballer but an excellent finisher, he thrives on opportunitys being created for him but does little to help the team in terms of hold up play, running of the ball and moving defenders around, he is pretty much a one trick pony, but a good trick, he scores goals if he is fed enough chances. He should be the cherry on the cake but unfortunately we dont have the base, so given the choice of a solid defence or Darren Bent, i would take the solid defence. The back 4 is our highest priority right now.

Is Bent a good finisher?

I think it's more he just has that nack of being in the right position. He misses an awful lot of chances that aren't piss easy.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »
Sell to highest bidder and invest in promising hungry players.

Hoillet,Clyne, Dyer from Swansea (why not?)

Cos they won't sell them.

We wouldn't get our money back on Benty at the moment anyway.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »
I tell you what, a Darren Bent in the Swansea team today would have had a field day.

Don't sell, look to play to his strengths.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal