collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What do you call a Gareth Barry without a fat arse?  (Read 17357 times)

Online john2710

Re: What do you call a Gareth Barry without a fat arse?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »
He has the stature and ability to play that role, more so than Herd who for me is more of a defender & less of a footballer.  He needs to be given time to learn the role, Barry played for years before switching to a central role. It's unrealistic and unfair to compare him with Barry, who looked a class apart from day one.

You need the right blend of players  to complement each other ie...
Ireland, Petrov & Clarke
Bannan, Delph / Gardener & Herd. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »
Clark is potentially really good although I must admit I thought it would be at centre back. He might still get through there but at the moment he has to be in central midfield as he's more composed on the ball than Herd.

Another player you wonder why he hasn't been playing more this season. At least the penny is dropping with the manager now, if we keep Carlos, Clark and Ireland in the team, we'll play better football and win more games in the second half of the season.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
My dilemma is i'm thinking of bringing in either Clark or Ireland into my fantasy team. Clark is 4.7m but is down as a defender which means a goal is more points than if he was a defender and can also score points for a clean sheet. Or Ireland who is 5.6m but possibly more likely to get goals/assists? And is it likely they will be given a run in the team?
I'm swaying towards Clark as he's cheaper and has the added bonus of a clean sheet bonus.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
I referred to Clark as a potential world beater on here a week or so ago. That may turn out to  be an exaggeration but what a result for our Academy. They have unearthed a gem.

A midfield of Clark, Herd, Gardner, Albrighton, Bannan. That's not a bad Academy turnout.

Quite. Has a team brought through so many youngsters at the same time since united with beckham, scoles, giggs etc?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »
I agree with most of the posts on this thread.

All I care to add is that in addition to all those qualities, he is also a threat in the air from set pieces. He's just a great player to have.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
Like others I have a lot of time for the kids coming through. If Clark became as good a player as Barry then we have a heck of prospect on our hands. He's taken is latest chance really well and it's added an incredible balance to the midfield and has breathed new life into Stan Petrov at the same time.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »

All I care to add is that in addition to all those qualities, he is also a threat in the air from set pieces. He's just a great player to have.

And helps us defend them.

Most of us were fearing a battering at Stoke because of our inability to defend set pieces over the past 18 months.

Clark  (and Cuellar)  have played a big part in making us look more secure in that facet of the game too. And it is, afterall, a big part of English football.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Indeed Kevin, meant to add that to my post. It's no coincidence results and performances have improved since he came into the side.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »

Which was AM's reason for fielding Emule; so, playing Clark is a double benefit for us! - he defends well and removes the need to play Emule!

He and Herd as the CMF pairing would be absolutely ideal when both have got more experience. Both have poise, composure and physique.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »

Which was AM's reason for fielding Emule; so, playing Clark is a double benefit for us! - he defends well and removes the need to play Emule!

He and Herd as the CMF pairing would be absolutely ideal when both have got more experience. Both have poise, composure and physique.

Don't forget GG. He isn't exactly weedy either and has scored quite a few with his head so should be useful at set pieces as well.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »

Don't forget GG. He isn't exactly weedy either and has scored quite a few with his head so should be useful at set pieces as well.
True, true.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »
I've liked him since he broke through. The best thing about Clark is that wherever he plays; centre back, central midfield or left back he always manages to play well. He really is a hugely versatile player. Secondly, and it's been mentioned before on this thread is the way he plays the game. You see plenty of guys who are Clark's size who are so clumsy but he looks effortless in the pass which is quite unusual for a centre half. He truly is an outstanding prospect for either midfield or defence.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
I've liked him since he broke through. The best thing about Clark is that wherever he plays; centre back, central midfield or left back he always manages to play well. He really is a hugely versatile player. Secondly, and it's been mentioned before on this thread is the way he plays the game. You see plenty of guys who are Clark's size who are so clumsy but he looks effortless in the pass which is quite unusual for a centre half. He truly is an outstanding prospect for either midfield or defence.

I hope we don't do a  Barry and stick him everywhere for years before we find his best position. Find where he's best and keep him there.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »
Clark and Gardner should be given 5 year contracts right now.

Offline steffo

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
Clark is a 'football player' rather than a 'footballer'.

There are loads of footballers but not a lot of football players. That is the difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal