collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What do you call a Gareth Barry without a fat arse?  (Read 17309 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
What do you call a Gareth Barry without a fat arse?
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »
... Ciaran Clark.

There were lots of good performances yesterday and over the past few games, but every time I see young Clacker, I cannot help but think of Barry.

I don't think he's a centre half. He's been caught out a few times at Man City and Newcastle last season, but I really do think his future is in the middle of the park.

His touch and composure on the ball is exemplary. He's never going to be the fulcrum of our attacking play, but he provides quality and balance and I just cannot help but make comparisons with Barry. He just seems to make the right pass and the right decision.

Part of the problem that McLeish inherited is that we've lost a host of good players and never replaced them- perhaps Clark is ready to fill a substantial void?

I hope so and more than that, believe so too.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
Re: What do you call a Gareth Barry without a fat arse?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
I think Clark has real potential in midfield. He definitely has a touch of class and is strong and intelligent. I don't think it's any co-incidence that we've had much better balance since he's been playing.

I very much hope he is not sold as I would expect a Cahill situation where he develops well elsewhere into an international class player.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
I think his introduction has massively improved our approach to the game, in that we actually try and keep it on the deck now.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »
He doesn't have GB's cheek (see what I did there) with the ball.

Barry always looked a class apart in that regard, even when he initially broke into the side as a left sided CB.  The way he could take the ball down and control it in tight situations, turn away from an attacker and play a good pass was almost McGrath esque at times, he made it look so effortless. 

But Ciaran is definitely a footballer, not a limited stopper just helping out in midfield.  And the change of position could benefit him (and us) immeasurably.

We've had a weakness in midfield as far as height and athleticism is concerned for a while. He brings that to the party and he can play a bit as well. If you go on the market looking for a midfielder like that they cost a bomb.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »
I referred to Clark as a potential world beater on here a week or so ago. That may turn out to  be an exaggeration but what a result for our Academy. They have unearthed a gem.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
I referred to Clark as a potential world beater on here a week or so ago. That may turn out to  be an exaggeration but what a result for our Academy. They have unearthed a gem.

A midfield of Clark, Herd, Gardner, Albrighton, Bannan. That's not a bad Academy turnout.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
Of all the youth players we've seen come through over the past year or so Clark has been the one that i've been most excited about. It's been a real bugbear of mine that he's been given so little game time this season.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
Of all the youth players we've seen come through over the past year or so Clark has been the one that i've been most excited about. It's been a real bugbear of mine that he's been given so little game time this season.

But at least he has grabbed his chance. So many times before we have seen players come in and have a bit part to play and not grasp it. Clark looks like he has been playing there for years.

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »

A midfield of Clark, Herd, Gardner, Albrighton, Bannan. That's not a bad Academy turnout.

I agree Dave. It is just a matter of keeping fingers crossed that we may be getting somewhere near the emergence of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes etc. Half of the success of that lot would do for me.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
Indeed DC, that's what's always set him apart for me. Hopefully AM sticks with him now and he can really show what he can do.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
I agree with you all about his role in midfield but I can still see him play a McGrath type role for us at the back. He reads the game so well, times his interventions well and generally makes good decisions (well, okay, the penalty-challenge against the Arse was ill-judged).
Similar to Gazza Bazza, he has a maturity and coolness that I really like.
As a midfielder, he may well help to bring on the likes of GG because of his composure and reading of the game.

He's a class act and I don't care whether he's in defence or MF; as long as he's in the side getting game-time.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
I don't know Kevin, its the little things in games that where Clark shows exactly that sort of effortless poise. There was a time at Stoke where two cloggers were hacking for the ball and he casually rolled the ball from them turned and passed it to a Villa man. The effortless way he slipped Stan through, the quality of his finishes against Arsenal last term.

He's very exciting, plus he's a big old unit too.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 02:19:27 PM »

Dave I couldn't agree more. Just wondering if that could happen at any time this season, if not for the whole match, maybe after subs. Be lovely to see. Infact if gabby was on the pitch aswell that would mean our front 6 cost nothing

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »

Dave I couldn't agree more. Just wondering if that could happen at any time this season, if not for the whole match, maybe after subs. Be lovely to see. Infact if gabby was on the pitch aswell that would mean our front 6 cost nothing

With Lichaj at right-back.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
I agree entirely. He's very composed, doesn't give the ball away cheaply, and knows how to use it.

I hope he stays in the side for an extended run.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal