collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan Petrov  (Read 13062 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Stan Petrov
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »
I have been very critical of Stan in the past and thought his legs were going. However it looks like Mcleish has finally found his correct position this season, allowing him a licence to go forward. It's reflected in his goals and he doesn't look exhausted all the time. I thought he was excellent yesterday and looks something like the player I thought we were buying when we originally signed him. What are other peoples thoughts on him?

Offline Sam Smith

Re: Stan Petrov
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »
Quality player. Most underated at the club imo. Due to his influence and experience he should be kept at the club at least until the summer. I love him!

Offline pr_N'villa

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »
excellent this season and when we are in possesion of the ball he helps us keep hold of it and reads the game very well. if he keeps it up he will be player of the season! consistent performer

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
Criminally under-rated by most fans. Even when he was playing the holding role I thought he was vital to us. He's playing ever so well and his experience is crucial given the number of young players we have. I don't see any reason to sell him at all. Excellent technique as shown with all his goals this season. Cracking left foot finish yday

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
Hopefully Petrov will still be at Villa next season, sharing time with Gary G

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »
Invaluable to us. For so long he was a scapegoat for many, particularly those who listen to others moaning and moronically repeat it ad nauseam. A most hard working and inspirational player.

Offline Graydondaze

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
I have been very critical of Stan in the past and thought his legs were going. However it looks like Mcleish has finally found his correct position this season, allowing him a licence to go forward. It's reflected in his goals and he doesn't look exhausted all the time. I thought he was excellent yesterday and looks something like the player I thought we were buying when we originally signed him. What are other peoples thoughts on him?

Have to admit, I was the same for a long time, but the last 12 or so games and he is winning me over, scored some crucial goals for us already this season and I hope he stays. Thought 8.5 mil for an average player was excessive but he is starting to become a must-play for me.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
I think Stan will finish his career with us, he will be used more sparingly from next season I'd think.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
He's doing an Andy Townshend - underwhelming for the first couple of years, now a vital player and the glue that holds us together.

Although even when he was struggling he was busting his gut for us.

Respect.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
He has something that only the best players have: the ability to create time for himself on the ball. He never looks under pressure even though he takes many hits from opponents. His use of his body to turn away from opponents is excellent. He reads the game very well, which is why he makes so many interceptions.
And with his movement he yesterday "out-franked" Lampard.

When he first joined us I was critical - as the ST holders around me could testify - of his contribution to the team. Over the last 24 months I have come to realise what a canny and capable player he is.

We are seeing a highly competent, senior-level international footballer in Petrov. Great stuff.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
His use of his body to turn away from opponents is excellent.

There is almost an element of Cowans there, even though his game is different. An image of Petrov that always comes to me is of his body twisted completely around, ball at his feet and breaking away from his opponent.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
His use of his body to turn away from opponents is excellent. He reads the game very well, which is why he makes so many interceptions.

I agree.

I'd also say that he's one of those players who usually, even if having a quiet game, does one thing which makes you think "crikey, that was a decent bit of skill"

This is by far his best season for us thus far.

Offline john2710

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »
Seems to have had a new lease of life, first name on the team sheet & we have no one with his experience to call on if he gets injured.

Even when he was struggling, has always given everything for the cause.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
Been very impressed with Stan this season. I hold my hands up and will say I thought his best days were behind him. AM has to take some credit for that.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
With younger legs around him in Clarke and herd he is a much better player. I've been massively critical of him in the past. Sideways Stan, but there have been some fantastic performances this season from the guy and I think that's down to herd and Clarke supporting him really well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal