collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 5%Villa -Phil Dowd  (Read 15804 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: 5%Villa -Phil Dowd
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »
He is an absolute disgrace. That Sammon red card was beyond belief.

Ridiculous comment.

If you make an honest mistake in your line of work would you expect to be called an absolute disgrace?

Referees make mistakes. I agree that they should ultimately be held accountable for their performances, (just as anyone in any job should) but to dress it up as anything more than that is crazy.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »

Ridiculous comment.

If you make an honest mistake in your line of work would you expect to be called an absolute disgrace?

Referees make mistakes. I agree that they should ultimately be held accountable for their performances, (just as anyone in any job should) but to dress it up as anything more than that is crazy.

No it's not, Paulie's right. He's made mistakes season after season. If you made mistakes year after year in your job, you'd probably be shown the door. The Herd and Sammon red cards were the work of a incompetent referee.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
Not to mention Vidic.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 12:04:17 PM »

Ridiculous comment.

No it's not, Paulie's right. He's made mistakes season after season. If you made mistakes year after year in your job, you'd probably be shown the door. The Herd and Sammon red cards were the work of a incompetent referee.

Well yes, incompetent and a poor referee, but an absolute disgrace? Really? To who?

The people who are involved in sport who are deserving of the term disgrace are the ones who cheat, use performance enhancing drugs, intentionally go out to injure people etc etc.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »
Agree Phil Dowd is a shocking ref, wants to stamp his personality on the Game.

On the point of the Osman penalty, why isnt sighting used, he kicked the ground but immediately appealed for a penalty wghich Webb gave. If they want to kick diving out they should punish players that cheat in this way.

Citing, maybe?

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
hes an arrogant twat .    I bet hes got no mates to go and have a drink with .

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
p.s   I do like that Oliver ref.     He doesnt care If its John Terry or Rooney .  Everyone gets the same treatment

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »

Ridiculous comment.

To be fair to him, and it galls me to do it, the Herd Penalty was given by the Linesman

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »

Ridiculous comment.

To be fair to him, and it galls me to do it, the Herd Penalty was given by the Linesman

True, but it was Dowd who decided it was worthy of a sending offf when he had'nt even seen it.

Offline MadJohnnyC

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
"Best ref is the young guy - not Atwell - but the ref we had against QPR. Has a really strong backbone and does not get swayed by personalities or crowds." - Fuse.

It tells its own story that the one competent referee you know is the only one who's name you don't. How it should be.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 01:10:32 PM »

Ridiculous comment.

He's a disgrace to refereeing, as he manages to combine getting big decisions frequently incorrect with that horrible "look at me, centre of attention" approach that the worst referees frequently have.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »

Ridiculous comment.

He's a disgrace to refereeing, as he manages to combine getting big decisions frequently incorrect with that horrible "look at me, centre of attention" approach that the worst referees frequently have.

Oh he's definitely a poor referee, no question about that.

However no referee, unless they are purposefully favouring teams, (which I don't believe any ref to do, despite the hysterics of many clubs fans) is a disgrace.

On a side note, its always annoyed me that supporters give so much abuse to referees, rather than the large no of players constantly making the referee's job very difficult by their diving / crowding round aggressively debating each decision.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:20:11 PM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »

Ridiculous comment.

True, but it was Dowd who decided it was worthy of a sending offf when he had'nt even seen it.

.. not sure about that. Anyway I'm not trying to big him up, he is a total tool.

Online john2710

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »
Dowd is, without question, the worst ref currently in the Premier League. Don't think he is biased towards the reds, just inept.

If you have any doubt look at the 2 penalties given to Newcastle in their 4-4 draw with Arsenal.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
I think the word disgrace does apply to repeated incompetence at the highest level.

In the local park a refereeing mistake is no big deal whatsoever.   At a level where come the end of the season millions of pounds and hundreds of jobs are at stake the overall control of a game and the competence of the man or woman controlling it is.

Referees are very well paid and accorded (in my view wrongly) sports star status.   That status has to be earned.   Dowd does not too frequently.   In my book that puts him in disgrace.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal