collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Getting to Villa Park  (Read 18646 times)

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Getting to Villa Park
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
Wecome TheStinger enjoy your visit

Offline Archie

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
My suggestion is to go by taxi from New Street station to the magnificent Barton's Arms, one of the most beautiful Victorian pub that I have ever seen in England, where you can enjoy  a pre-match couple of pints and a (thai) meal.  (http://www.oakagroup.com/bartons/bartonabout.asp).

After meal,  go to VP by walk through Aston Park, it takes about 20 minutes and it's a beautiful and unforgettable scenery.

And, it goes without saying, don't miss  a visit to  Aston Hall, the most remarkable historical building in Aston (http://www.bmag.org.uk/aston-hall).

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 12:33:22 AM »
Try and get a ticket to "Birmingham Stations" as this will cover Witton and Aston and should cost the same as a ticket to New Street.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »
Get a train to Moor Street, and then walk about 1 minute across the road to New Street. From there you can get regular trains to Aston and Witton, each of which take a few minutes, and also are only a few minutes walk away from the ground.

If that doesn't entice you though, the club offers a bus service that shuttles to and from the ground I believe. Here's a link to the info: https://www.eticketing.co.uk/avfc/details/event.aspx?itemref=6830

Hope that helps :)

Offline astonvillan

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »
if your going to New Street Station you can just get a train to Aston Station, takes 5 minutes and then just follow the claret and blue masses to the stadium

That's your best bet, they are every ten minutes. When you buy your ticket in Glasgow just get it to Aston. Look on the boards trains running to Lichfield or Four Oaks.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/OXF/AST/140112/1045/dep/140112/1715/dep

why would he do that? it costs more and restricts his journey. all he needs is a ticket from oxford to birmingham new street which will allow him to travel to any birmingham station. hence 'birmingham stations' being printed on the ticket. so if the 17 or 47 to witton fits better with his plans, he can jump on that - all the while saving him a couple of quid.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:14 AM »
A) The 47 doesn't got to Witton, does it?
B) You have to specify Birmingham Stations. New Street will just get you to New Street.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »
B) You have to specify Birmingham Stations. New Street will just get you to New Street.

The Birmingham stations are classed as New Street, Snow Hill and Moor Street...............

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »
Welcome Stinger, hope you have a good day. (I sell the fanzine opposite the church, incidentally).

Offline willywombat

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 08:53:57 AM »
Have a great day Stinger and have a beer for me. We'll be watching live and bleary eyed in the Barossa

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »

A) No, but it would be perfect if Warwickshire were at home.

The Witton trains only run every half hour and are likely to be full of Scousers trying to slit your throat and steal your underpants.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »
If you were to get the bus from the city centre Stinger you could see the birthplace of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle the creator of Sherlock Holmes.   That is where they should have the museum not next to The Volunteer in Baker Street but that is what cockerneys do, they assume everyone who does anything notable is one of their own.   If you walk up from Aston Station over to the right lies the Serpentine Grounds where it is now widely believed Charlie Chaplin was born in a caravan of a touring circus, not at the Elephant in London, see above cockneys and famous people.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »
If you were to get the bus from the city centre Stinger you could see the birthplace of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle the creator of Sherlock Holmes.   

Are you sure about that, Brian?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
Wasn't Arthur Conan Doyle born in Edinburgh?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:33 AM »
Knowing Brummagem they have probably pulled it down Paulie.   It was a well known landmark in what I always believed to be Aston High Street.   I always used to walk to the ground down from Dale End past Gaskell and Chambers and the Conan Doyle plaque was high on the wall of a red brick parade of shops above an ironmongers shop.   It had a great big sweeping broom suspended over the shop and a swinging sign like a pub sign saying "the sign of the big broom".

A propos of totally nothing a while back I was in Pompey doing a survey for the building of a petrol filling station and they were knocking down the birthplace of Charles Dickens in a terrace of back to back houses.

Offline mal

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »
Knowing Brummagem they have probably pulled it down Paulie.   It was a well known landmark in what I always believed to be Aston High Street.   I always used to walk to the ground down from Dale End past Gaskell and Chambers and the Conan Doyle plaque was high on the wall of a red brick parade of shops above an ironmongers shop.   It had a great big sweeping broom suspended over the shop and a swinging sign like a pub sign saying "the sign of the big broom".

A propos of totally nothing a while back I was in Pompey doing a survey for the building of a petrol filling station and they were knocking down the birthplace of Charles Dickens in a terrace of back to back houses.
Conan Doyle lived in Aston while completing his studies in medicine. He was born in Edinburgh.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal