collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Getting to Villa Park  (Read 18615 times)

Offline TheStinger

• Vaya Con Dios.
Getting to Villa Park
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
Hi, I'm originally from Australia but I have been living in Glasgow for a few months now.  Been a lifelong Villa fan because of my Great-Grandfather who sat me down when I was a young un and told me all about the history of the club.  I was two years old and remember none of it but my dad made sure I followed the family tradition.

Having said that, I have purchased tickets to the Everton game on the 14th of January to see my first game at Villa Park.  Have got them in the lower section of the Trinity Road Stand.  Hope they are good seats.

My question is, I will be coming from Oxford on the train in the morning to Birmingham main train station.  What is the easiest way to get to Villa Park from there on public transport?

Sorry to have my first post to be a question.  Many thanks in advance for any help.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Getting to Villa Park
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
Training it to Aston or Witton station would be my suggestion.

Offline TheMitaCopier

• AVFC
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
if your going to New Street Station you can just get a train to Aston Station, takes 5 minutes and then just follow the claret and blue masses to the stadium

Offline IronVilla

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
Training it to Aston or Witton station would be my suggestion.

Mine also, if you're getting in to New Street then get the train to Aston, it's only two stops along, then just follow the crowd to Villa Park.

Offline TheStinger

• Vaya Con Dios.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys.  I was pretty sure that if I got on the right train I would be able to just get off when everyone else with claret and blue on got off and be heading in the right direction.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
if your going to New Street Station you can just get a train to Aston Station, takes 5 minutes and then just follow the claret and blue masses to the stadium

That's your best bet, they are every ten minutes. When you buy your ticket in Glasgow just get it to Aston. Look on the boards trains running to Lichfield or Four Oaks.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »

That's your best bet, they are every ten minutes. When you buy your ticket in Glasgow just get it to Aston. Look on the boards trains running to Lichfield or Four Oaks.

Oxford-Glasgow-Birmingham-Aston seems a bit excessive!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »
Hope you enjoy the first of what will hopefully be many visits.
The Lower Trinity which I have sat in for years in my opinion provides an excellent view.
I suggest you arrive early so you can savour the atmosphere as it builds.
Check out the grounds of Aston Hall across from Trinity Road - there is no football stadium in the world with such a fine setting alongside.
Check out the statue of William McGregor - the Villa man responsible in many ways for how we watch football not just in Aston, but throughout Britain and the rest of the world.

Offline jimmygreen

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 04:21:34 PM »
Hope you have a great day.

Offline TheStinger

• Vaya Con Dios.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 04:22:25 PM »

Yeah, just to be clear I am staying in Oxford for a couple of weeks with family and will be travelling to the game from there.  Not from Glasgow, as that would be a little silly.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »
Enjoy your day at VP Stinger. UTV

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »

Yeah, just to be clear I am staying in Oxford for a couple of weeks with family and will be travelling to the game from there.  Not from Glasgow, as that would be a little silly.

Oops.

Same applies though, by a through ticket as it stops you having to mess about at New Street and there are always inspectors at Aston.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Train
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
Your best bet is get train to Witton rather than Aston as it is a fair bit closer and impossible to get lost that way.

Offline TheStinger

• Vaya Con Dios.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »
Hope you enjoy the first of what will hopefully be many visits.
The Lower Trinity which I have sat in for years in my opinion provides an excellent view.
I suggest you arrive early so you can savour the atmosphere as it builds.
Check out the grounds of Aston Hall across from Trinity Road - there is no football stadium in the world with such a fine setting alongside.
Check out the statue of William McGregor - the Villa man responsible in many ways for how we watch football not just in Aston, but throughout Britain and the rest of the world.
Thanks for all the well wishes guys.  I will definitely get there early so I can check out the stadium and the surrounds as well.  Sounds like the seat I've got will be pretty good, thanks.  Even though we aren't going all that well at the moment, hopefully it will still be a good game and I can see a win.

UTV!

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »
Your best bet is get train to Witton rather than Aston as it is a fair bit closer and impossible to get lost that way.

You'd be hard pushed to get lost from Aston too!  Either is fine but trains are generally more frequent to Aston than Witton, although Witton is the closer station.

The alternative would be to hop in a cab outside New Street Station.  It won't cost more than a tenner and if there are 4 or 5 of you it'll make it cheaper than the train.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal