collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brad Guzan  (Read 15698 times)

Offline Aston Manor

Brad Guzan
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
Now I know this is likely to be a seemingly strange one especially seeing how well he has been playing, but what about selling Guzan to raise funds? His stock will have risen following his performances since he has come back into the team. the one question mark over him has been his ability under the high ball as Blackburn showed up in the Carling Cup semis two seasons ago. but last night he looked as assured as any keeper I've seen under Stokes bombardment, and against Arsenal and their endless corners last week.

So why sell? I think its clear that Given will come back into the team and overall I would say Given is still the better keeper. Its not often the understudy comes in and its rarer to see one coming in that stays there. After a while they either have one or two poor games and then get shipped out. I think Harper at Newcastle is the most recent exception. Another exception from 30 years ago of course needs no introduction. But apart from that the number 2 gets changed more regularly than the number 1.

So, may as well sell. I know Given has had injury problems but I'm not sure that's a big a problem as may be made out. He's more likely to play than not. So, to me, it makes no difference if its Marshall or Guzan who is on the bench as you're very unlikely to see them. Then, if you don't fancy Marshall you can buy a cheaper number 2.

So, in January, when Given's back, why not move him on to free up some wages and get a transfer fee and put it towards a midfielder or another forward that we need?

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Brad Guzan
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 06:27:56 PM »
Doesn't make any sense. The risk involved far outweighs any potential monetary benefit.

Offline Aston Manor

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »
What risk? When Given is back - in a week or so - how long do you realistically think it'll be before we see Guzan again? maybe not sell him in January but in the summer. But, I think we need players now - as Mcleish has alluded to - so Guzan is a risky sale perhaps, but I don't think it that risky.

We've heard about us selling bent and I think that is infinitely more risky than selling our number 2 keeper.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
How much would we get for a keeper who's started about four league games - £2 million tops?

Offline Aston Manor

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
Yes, we wouldn't get a lot but we'd get something which we could use. If the manager could get a few (2 or 3 million) from Lerner then we can realistically look at players. Also, if we could get someone on loan from January then that 2m could be used towards towards the fee/wages for the incoming player.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Sell Guzan? My head hurts!

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
If we sold Guzan we'd have to spend at least as much on a replacement second choice keeper.  Marshall is just about acceptable as a third choice keeper, and I don't think we have a young keeper ready to step up yet.

So unless it's for £4 million + and we can get someone as good for less, then it's a false economy to sell him.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
If we sold Guzan we'd have to spend at least as much on a replacement second choice keeper.  Marshall is just about acceptable as a third choice keeper, and I don't think we have a young keeper ready to step up yet.

So unless it's for £4 million + and we can get someone as good for less, then it's a false economy to sell him.
we have a Bloke that has been given a chance and obviously is doing all he can to be first choice keeper, so we talk about how much we can sell him for? madness. let him compete with Given for the Jersey, the fact that Given has a long standing shoulder problem tells you that we shoulkd be grateful that we have another decent goalkeeper.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 07:15:23 PM »
No sell heskey not brad

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »
If there was a 'like' button, I'd like Hawkeye's post above. Selling Guzan would make no sense.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
I'm not sure the thread starter realises Guzan is actually out of contract in June! He can start talking to foreign clubs in Jauary and agree a free deal in the summer.

I'd offer him a new contract without hesitation tbh, he's shown he can challenge Given properly.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
I'm not sure the thread starter realises Guzan is actually out of contract in June! He can start talking to foreign clubs in Jauary and agree a free deal in the summer.

I'd offer him a new contract without hesitation tbh, he's shown he can challenge Given properly.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
Given has been quite injury prone the last few seasons so I'd give Brad a new contract too.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »
Given has been quite injury prone the last few seasons so I'd give Brad a new contract too.
100% agree.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 07:42:35 PM »
I do think with this taste of games, Guzan will want to be a number one starter every week now.

I can't see him being that here with Given at the club so think he'll move on in the summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal