collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Error ridden matchday programme v Arsenal  (Read 8469 times)

Offline andyaston

Error ridden matchday programme v Arsenal
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »
The Villa over the years have always been known for producing one of the best programmes in the country. Over the last few seasons I think standards have dropped, we don't even produce average attendences, which is poor because even in the early 70s the stats page was better.

I've just leafed through Wednesday night's programme and found many glaring errors. Here are a few:

Arseanl fans would be laughing at the fact that in the away section of the programme they were informed that the club they support were not founded in 1886 but 20 years earlier in 1866!

The scencesetter part of the programme has the last paragraph finishing half way through a sentance.

Neil Moxley, says his favourite Villain is Savo Milosavic. A bit differnent from many but, he goes on to mention that there was no one happier than himself when Savo scored that goal against Manchester United in the opening game of the 1995/96 season. Thats news to us Villa fans because, he didn't score at all, we actually waited until December before he open his account at Villa Park v Coventry!

Next error in the 'Name that team' section, the team was from our victory 2-1 against Arsenal at Villa Park in November 1993. I went to this game and it was played nowhere near Villa Park, it was actually played at Highbury or was Andy Townsend's winner at the Clock End just a dream?

Finally, in the Ticket news section we have sold out for our FA cup match at bristol Rovers which, by all accounts takes part on January 27th. The match actually takes place 20 days earlier on the 7th.

These mistakes are embarrssing, I know many poeple think the programme is boring and patranoising but, the standards of production are quite frankly a joke.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: Error ridden matchday programme v Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
These mistakes are embarrassing.

They certainly are.

Neil Moxley, says his favourite Villain is Savo Milosavic. A bit differnent from many but, he goes on to mention that there was no one happier than himself when Savo scored that goal against Manchester United in the opening game of the 1995/96 season. Thats news to us Villa fans because, he didn't score at all, we actually waited until December before he open his account at Villa Park v Coventry!

Savo actually scored his first at Blackburn, a few weeks before the Coventry game.

;)

Offline andyaston

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
These mistakes are embarrassing.

They certainly are.

Savo actually scored his first at Blackburn, a few weeks before the Coventry game.

;)

I know that, i'm refering to his first goal at Villa park, it took until December against Coventry 4-1.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »
On a similar note, I pointed out to the ticket office yesterday that the website stated that Wolves tickets would be for sale online from "November 24th"

Offline luke25

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
On a similar note in the latest H&V its got that Albrighton scored with a header against Bolton, disgraceful ;-)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 02:37:21 PM »
I've offered services in my capacity as a proof-reader and copy-editor to both publications but these have been declined politely.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
There are always error's in the newspaper reports.

It's like <insert reporter here> has never been to the game.

Online Legion

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »

Incorrect use of an apostrophe alert.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 03:10:08 PM »
I increasingly lost interest as the Aston Villa News & Record ( as with all clubs publications) turned from a programme into a `Matchday Magazine`. It regularly won awards as one of the best programmes during the 1970s and 80s.

I can only assume that the person or persons responsible for the content are simply doing a job, and a poor job from what I have seen above.
Perhaps years ago we had people who loved the Villa producing the publication and they would take pride in the content and accuracy.

Online Legion

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »
Gerald Harris used to do a fantastic job.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 03:11:59 PM »

Incorrect use of an apostrophe alert.

My son and I had tea at Ikea last night. The special was "French Onion Beef Casserole with Chips or Potato Rosti's"

When I asked Potato Rosti's what? I got a very blank look from the young girl behind the counter.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »
Gerald Harris used to do a fantastic job.

Gerald was responsible for programme distribution for many many years, I'm not sure he was involved in the production side of things.
A lovely bloke, I remember he gave me a lift to a game at Hull in the 1970s. I was a member of something called The British Programme Collectors Club based just down the road from Boothferry Park. Both of us were  happy as anything meeting the guy who ran it from a tatty old shop stacked from floor to ceiling with tens of thousands of old programmes of every description.

Offline McCanns Patch

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »

These mistakes are embarrssing, I know many poeple think the programme is boring and patranoising but, the standards of production are quite frankly a joke.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »
At Swansea away their programme informed me recently that Villa have won the League Cup more than any other team.

This must be news to Liverpool fans....

Offline andyaston

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »

Nice one mate, this is an internet net forum not an English class.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal