collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ireland Injury  (Read 29294 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Ireland Injury
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »
Just when you thought he might be getting his head together...

Tweet turns sour for Ireland as Villa boss McLeish questions midfielder's commitment
By Neil Moxley

Stephen Ireland has been warned about his future conduct by Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish after embarrassing pictures of him smoking a Shisha pipe and drinking appeared on Twitter.

The Villa midfielder was spoken to by McLeish after his girlfriend, Jessica Lawlor, posted an image with the tagline: ‘Shisha, alcohol and Xmas songs — doesn’t get better than this.’

The picture appeared just 24 hours after Ireland had been substituted with an injury against Arsenal and in the same week that fellow Villa midfielder Barry Bannan fronted a drink-driving campaign.

McLeish admitted he had confronted Ireland, 25, about the issue, saying: ‘I’ve spoken to Stephen but it’s not something I want to be discussing. My opinion on it will be delivered to him rather than discussing it in public. I don’t, however, think you want to be bringing attention to yourself like that.’
Asked to clarify what Ireland was trying to achieve, McLeish added: ‘I don’t know what he was doing. Was he using a Shisha pipe? I don’t know what that stuff is. For all I know he could have been blowing bubbles. I have to say it’s not my world, the way players live nowadays with tweeting and posting pictures of themselves.’
Ireland was signed for £8million at the start of last season and claimed he was regularly the best player at training with Manchester City

However, Ireland has not delivered at Villa, where McLeish has said his midfield is an area of concern. Ireland has hardly endeared himself to Villa fans either by describing Birmingham as a ‘c**p city’ during an interview.

‘We all know he has a decent touch and he showed other attributes in the Arsenal game with his closing down,’ said McLeish.
‘He has to do more. He has been training well and he put in a shift the other night. He’s got to take that attitude into other games. He has not done himself justice in a Villa shirt.’

The ever dedicated Stephen Ireland

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »
The Bloke is a Fukin idiot,, sadly at the moment our club is picking up the tab

it will all end in tears

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 11:49:30 PM »
I mean that's not great, but it's not the end of the world. As long as he shows the application and performance he did against Arsenal I'll be happy.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »
Frackin A!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 01:19:18 AM »
Non-story really, having a bit of craic with his (rather foolish) missus at Christmas. Can't see him recalled for the Chelsea game as he'll likely go with the side that drew with Stoke but we will likely need him to unlock Swansea next week.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 03:39:30 AM »
Just when you thought he might be getting his head together...

Tweet turns sour for Ireland as Villa boss McLeish questions midfielder's commitment
By Neil Moxley

Stephen Ireland has been warned about his future conduct by Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish after embarrassing pictures of him smoking a Shisha pipe and drinking appeared on Twitter.

The Villa midfielder was spoken to by McLeish after his girlfriend, Jessica Lawlor, posted an image with the tagline: ‘Shisha, alcohol and Xmas songs — doesn’t get better than this.’

The picture appeared just 24 hours after Ireland had been substituted with an injury against Arsenal and in the same week that fellow Villa midfielder Barry Bannan fronted a drink-driving campaign.

McLeish admitted he had confronted Ireland, 25, about the issue, saying: ‘I’ve spoken to Stephen but it’s not something I want to be discussing. My opinion on it will be delivered to him rather than discussing it in public. I don’t, however, think you want to be bringing attention to yourself like that.’
Asked to clarify what Ireland was trying to achieve, McLeish added: ‘I don’t know what he was doing. Was he using a Shisha pipe? I don’t know what that stuff is. For all I know he could have been blowing bubbles. I have to say it’s not my world, the way players live nowadays with tweeting and posting pictures of themselves.’
Ireland was signed for £8million at the start of last season and claimed he was regularly the best player at training with Manchester City

However, Ireland has not delivered at Villa, where McLeish has said his midfield is an area of concern. Ireland has hardly endeared himself to Villa fans either by describing Birmingham as a ‘c**p city’ during an interview.

‘We all know he has a decent touch and he showed other attributes in the Arsenal game with his closing down,’ said McLeish.
‘He has to do more. He has been training well and he put in a shift the other night. He’s got to take that attitude into other games. He has not done himself justice in a Villa shirt.’

The ever dedicated Stephen Ireland

Complete and utter non story. Unless a young man enjoying christmas with his family is meant to be some sort of crime now.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 07:34:26 AM »
Non-story really, having a bit of craic with his (rather foolish) missus at Christmas. Can't see him recalled for the Chelsea game as he'll likely go with the side that drew with Stoke but we will likely need him to unlock Swansea next week.

Heskey is out, and I'd be surprised if fonz started, so I was thinking he might start ahead of bent. I don't think 442 is a good way yo play against Chelsea away

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
The sooner he is gone the better.   He has been a bad influence since the day we agreed to take him.   He lost the plot at City and the chances of him doing anything meaningful in a football shirt are zero.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
Get shod of him he has been here 16 months and shows hardly anything when he plays he seemed to try for 5 minutes against Arsenal chasing the ball down and trying to win the ball. Then he went off.

Offline brian green

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
Straight swap for Makoun

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »
He will be at Newcastle with Guthrie coming the other way

Offline brian green

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 10:45:54 AM »
I would prefer to dump him on O'Neill with Gardner coming the other way.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
I don't care where he goes, but wouldn't want either Guthrie or Gardner the Elder coming in as part of the deal!

Offline brian green

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »
It might be fun to see Gardner Major tell us all how his dad brought him to Villa Park and he  wished he had never left and it is us he has always supported.   I would watch that.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
Yep, we've certainly got a ton of top quality players in the squad, so we can afford to let Ireland go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal