collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Baldy
[Today at 02:59:36 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:45:28 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why McLeish? Why? (conceding late goals)  (Read 9095 times)

Offline PONGO49

Re: Why McLeish? Why? (conceding late goals)
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »
I don't see this as a McLeish fault is just his job at present, but this is more a Villa problem for many years I remember talking about Villa always conceding late goals as far back as when John Gregory was at the helm.

Offline Richard C

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
I don't see this as a McLeish fault is just his job at present, but this is more a Villa problem for many years I remember talking about Villa always conceding late goals as far back as when John Gregory was at the helm.

And just about every manager before and since.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 10:28:57 PM »
We looked tired in the last 10 minutes and Arsenal d
We didn't sit back, it was end to end stuff. Something you'd be aware if if you weren't relying on BBC text updates.they won a corner, somebody didn't do their job, they scored. That cannot be blamed on the manager.

Pretty much how I see it, although I think that giving away late goals can become a habit, and it is a bad habit that we have had for the last 2 seasons.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »
Why are people acting as if this is a club trait? Nonsense.

I remember we scored lots of late goals under O'Neill... We certainly scored more than we conceded.

Like I said, I don't understand. McLeish is basically playing with the same tactics with us like he did at Blues yet under McLeish Blues scored so many late goals yet with McLeish as our manager we're cinceding many late goals. All have proven to be critical. We would be above Newcastle if we didn't bottle it.

People are rewriting history the way they want to if you think we scored more than we conceded late under MON. I can remember loads of occasions when we let in a late goal, funnilly enough against the big times...07/08 93rd minute equaliser by Arsenal at the Emirates, twice in the games against Liverpool we let in late goals, the Torres winner at VP, the Macheda winner at Old Trafford, Spurs scored in the 93rd min in that mad 4-4 game at WHL.

It just seems to happen to us more than other clubs under lots of different managers and completely different sets of playing personnel so if it isn't a club trait I don't know what is. Same as it's a club trait a club like Manure always seem to score late on if they need to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal