collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Baldy
[Today at 08:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Risso
[Today at 08:11:32 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by Baldy
[Today at 08:02:49 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by KNVillan
[Today at 07:58:57 AM]

Liverpool by johnc
[Today at 07:48:11 AM]

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why McLeish? Why? (conceding late goals)  (Read 9070 times)

Offline steffo

Re: Why McLeish? Why? (conceding late goals)
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »
from the BBC tonight

After levelling, lone-striker Gabriel Agbonlahor began to look increasingly isolated, while Arsenal pushed for the winner

Like Norwich at home 3-1 up Gabby on fire.... No. Man the defences.
He will NOT change his spots!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 12:50:24 AM »
from the BBC tonight

After levelling, lone-striker Gabriel Agbonlahor began to look increasingly isolated, while Arsenal pushed for the winner

Arsenal are a bit different to Norwich. When the opposition can bring on players like Arshavin you're always going to struggle towards the end.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 12:52:02 AM »
I thought Gabby was poor most of the game. If he'd been on form I reckon we'd have won. Instead he seemed to do a bit of a Savo tonight.

Offline steffo

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 01:15:20 AM »
from the BBC tonight

Arsenal are a bit different to Norwich. When the opposition can bring on players like Arshavin you're always going to struggle towards the end. [

A victory against Norwich 3-1 or 4-1 or even 5-1 would have given AMc credability. But he sat back and allowed Norwich into the game.

A reporter from the BBC said the same. Gabby was almost left back towards the end of the game. The hard work was done getting back into the game, like Norwich he sat back and let them dictate play. Same with Arsenal.

So the question Why?
Simple: AMc is out of his depth.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 07:16:07 AM »
From what I saw, at 1-1 we were still taking it to Arsenal, and had more than our fair share of proceedings. There didn't seem to be any conscious decision to fall back.

To be fair to Gabby, he took a heavy knock late in the first half. He seemed to be doing ok up to that point. Maybe that played a part.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 08:18:41 AM »
Why are people acting as if this is a club trait? Nonsense.

I remember we scored lots of late goals under O'Neill... We certainly scored more than we conceded.

Like I said, I don't understand. McLeish is basically playing with the same tactics with us like he did at Blues yet under McLeish Blues scored so many late goals yet with McLeish as our manager we're cinceding many late goals. All have proven to be critical. We would be above Newcastle if we didn't bottle it.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 08:55:38 AM »
why is it you make us concede so MANY goals in the last minute that have proven critical?

"why is it that you make us ..."

Strange use of words.
You think he's on some sort of betting scam? Or perhaps he's a masochist? Maybe he has some as-yet unspecific psychological condition that compulsively wants to drag defeat from the jaws of victory?

I don't think so.

For  God''s sake, pull yourself together, man!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:58:01 AM by EffDee »

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 10:15:16 AM »
A victory against Norwich 3-1 or 4-1 or even 5-1 would have given AMc credability. But he sat back and allowed Norwich into the game.

A reporter from the BBC said the same. Gabby was almost left back towards the end of the game. The hard work was done getting back into the game, like Norwich he sat back and let them dictate play. Same with Arsenal.

So the question Why?
Simple: AMc is out of his depth.

Sorry but I think that was a bit rubbish.  Norwich had come back from 3-1 down to draw the week before so it was clear they knew how to force their way back into a game like this.  But they did not manage this against Villa.  How about giving some credit for that?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
We didn't sit back, it was end to end stuff. Something you'd be aware if if you weren't relying on BBC text updates.they won a corner, somebody didn't do their job, they scored. That cannot be blamed on the manager.

I know everyone denies it having anything to do with who he previously managed but when you see people desperately trying to find things to criticise after a really encouraging team performance you do wonder.

Offline Merv

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »
Um.... we've got a problem defending from corners but I don't think we've particularly got a problem with conceding late goals, have we?

What's happened this season, a desperately unlucky late late goal at QPR and last night v Arsenal? I suppose Norwich's late consolation, but I don't think it's been an issue for us (let's face, recently we've been out of matches by half-time  ;))

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 12:12:10 PM »
Lets get real Stoke aint that good. They were shocking last night. Clark has to play in centre mid. Herd will be fit. If not put Gardner in the kid is a complete player he can fit in any position. He is over 6ft so would help out at corners. Go with the youth Alex.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 12:18:20 PM »
Um.... we've got a problem defending from corners but I don't think we've particularly got a problem with conceding late goals, have we?

What's happened this season, a desperately unlucky late late goal at QPR and last night v Arsenal? I suppose Norwich's late consolation, but I don't think it's been an issue for us (let's face, recently we've been out of matches by half-time  ;))

+ Sunderland

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »
From what I saw, at 1-1 we were still taking it to Arsenal, and had more than our fair share of proceedings. There didn't seem to be any conscious decision to fall back.

To be fair to Gabby, he took a heavy knock late in the first half. He seemed to be doing ok up to that point. Maybe that played a part.

Yes, Gabby did take a heavy challenge from behind, just outside the penalty box - it was a nailed on yellow card, but what....the ref let their defender get away with it. A few minutes later Clark made slight contact with one of their players in midfield, and, hey presto - a yellow was brandished! Thought the ref was rubbish to be honest.

Offline Merv

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »

+ Sunderland

Bugger. You're right - how could I forget 5ft 5ins Sessegnon scoring with that header?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »
I think the idea that we sat back after we equalised and Arsenal were dominating is absolute rubbish. They did have a lot of corners, but we created a lot of chances after that point and were going for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal