collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fed up with football  (Read 16352 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Fed up with football
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
What I find most concerning is the relatively small number of young kids you see at the games these days.

Football is so short term these days, you have to wonder where the next generation of paying fans will come from (especially as the younger generation are more used to the wide availability of football on telly or the internet versus paying).

When we were kids we'd stand on the Holte and the cost of the ticket wasn't even worth thinking about, it was that cheap. Kids today don't have that luxury.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
Has anyone noticed how the people who are losing their enthusiasm for football have boundless enthusiasm when it comes to telling everyone else about it. They're like born again Christians or recently stopped smokers.

Sorry Chris, but I think you'll find that most people that post these comments have lost the enthusiasm for Premiership football and not football in general. I still love football and try to go as often as possible to see my local club and take my two lads to their beloved Ajax and Feyenoord respectively.
I encourage anyone who is bored of the Premiership product to get back to their roots and visit a non-league club or lower division team. Its like getting back to football as most of us remember it and if after that you still aren't enthused then I'm afraid that you really have lost the desire.

I agree to an extent Neil. I watched Arsenal Man City on Sunday, and Real Barcelona last week, and both games showed me that I still love football, what I don't love is the feeling that Villa as a package are surrendering to becoming a bottom half team with no real direction. Football is still great to watch when played well by people giving their all at any level.
Yeah, that's where I'm at.
Because I gave up my ST this season (for several reasons) I've been watching more 'other games' on t'interweb and have enjoyed seeing how others live their footballing lives. I've also been to my local team (Harrogate Town) and to other amateur matches. All good stuff.
I also went to the Reebok to see the Villa: enjoyed that too!
I point is: I'm not busting a gut to get along to Villa games and am happy not to be travelling back and forth (the return journey usually being full of angst). Next season? - I may well feel the vibe again; who knows.

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 10:23:50 AM »
...I think you'll find that most people that post these comments have lost the enthusiasm for Premiership football and not football in general.

I think it's a Premier League thing as well. After far too long, I've started going to watch Mainz05 in the Bundesliga this season. I've been to home and away games and noticed that the fans just don't seem so jaded here. It's nice to be able to stand as well, of course.

I'll never understand why they feel they need a bloke with a megaphone shouting at them to get them making a noise, instead of reacting to the game, but that's another story.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 10:30:50 AM »
I don't like Premier League football anymore, but I like Villa no matter how bad they are doing. I seriously do not care for the "top games" and have no interest in how other premier league teams are doing. Just not interested. I didn't even know Yakubu played for Blackburn until yesterday.

I have started going to watch Tooting and Mitcham play though, and really enjoy that. Even though they've lost 5 of the last 6. And had 3 plaers sent off in the last away game. And 2 players and the manager sent off  in the previous away game!!! The manager has now been sacked (used 116 players in 2 seasons). But its fun to know a few people at the bar pre and after the game.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »
I too agree with most of what Deano says.
There's a pointlessness about following Villa at the moment, we tried, we spent, we failed, so where do we go now ?
There's nowhere to go but down, we are a selling club and always have been, our owners do not match the ambitions of our supporters (and never have since the 1900s), I have followed Villa since 1967 when we were really crap but I always got enthusiastic about going to Villa Park but there is a different feeling about the place now, a total lack of hope that I have never felt since the days of Tommy Cummings, pre-Docherty and the wonderful experience of the Third Division.
I often wonder if it needs us to get relegated again (I know, I know) !! to galvanise the place again.
Lerner got this appointment badly wrong as I said at the time and he has misread the feeling of the majority.
A lot of people I know either 'support' ManU, Liverpool or Chelsea, despite never having been anywhere near those club's grounds, they view Villa with laughable pity as totally insignificant in football, and I'm sorry but that in my opinion is all about Sky Sports.
Sky have cultivated the TV football 'supporter' over the last twenty years who regularly gets stick from me about not being a 'proper' football fan, but I am viewed as some sort of relic who actually attends every game at the ground of the club I support.
All of this adds up to a club and a game I'm totally pissed off with, even though I will take my place in my usual seat this evening against Arsenal, in a seat I cannot afford but have gone into even more debt to purchase, with a feeling of 'what's the point' ?
Before anybody tells me to f*** off because I'm not a proper Villa supporter, I can tell you that I definately will not be renewing my season ticket for next season for the first time since 1974, that is how out of synch I feel with Villa, and football.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 10:38:25 AM »
I'm more fed up with the Villa selling our best players, refusing to even compete in matches against the 'giants' of the game and been made to look like a bunch of novices by a succesion of ordinary managers in their tribunals.

Perhaps if we could start to sort some of these out we wouldnt be so fed up with it all.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
I don't like Premier League football anymore, but I like Villa no matter how bad they are doing. I seriously do not care for the "top games" and have no interest in how other premier league teams are doing. Just not interested. I didn't even know Yakubu played for Blackburn until yesterday.

That's probably my standpoint too.

I pretty much never watch any football that isn't us. I don't even watch MOTD any more. I hardly ever bother to read the sports section of the paper on a sunday. I don't give a shit who wins the league, as it is entirely irrelevant to us.

In fact, yesterday, when i watched a bit of the bolton - blackburn game was the first time I've watched non Villa football in ages.

I'm stuck with Villa because it is in my family and has been since the 19th century, so I'll never ditch us. It is just the rest of the shit with football that I really don't care too much about.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
I am still laughing at the football was essentially pure 40 years ago comment. It's as though Leeds under Revie never happened? That Chopper Harris and Tommy Smith weren't kicking shit out if anything that moved with refs turning a blind eye. As though teams spending a lot of money weren't winning most of the trophies.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 11:16:57 AM »
I am still laughing at the football was essentially pure 40 years ago comment. It's as though Leeds under Revie never happened? That Chopper Harris and Tommy Smith weren't kicking shit out if anything that moved with refs turning a blind eye. As though teams spending a lot of money weren't winning most of the trophies.

I agree Chris, watching fottball from the 70's / 80's on TV - it looks awful, although I don't remember it being that way.
Yes, teams with money won trophies, but money has gone from being 1 factor to being the only factor for success. It used to be more on the coaching, managers, players from the area/youth. Look at Citeh, average manager but has every chance to suceed with a seemingly bottomless pit of cash - even Dolly would win something at Citeh nowadays, well maybe....

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »

That made me laugh too, thinking of the Wednesday players done for match fixing in the 60's, suspicious transfers and brown paper bags, and black players who don't like the cold.....etc.

The good old days, eh?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »

I agree Chris, watching fottball from the 70's / 80's on TV - it looks awful, although I don't remember it being that way.
Yes, teams with money won trophies, but money has gone from being 1 factor to being the only factor for success. It used to be more on the coaching, managers, players from the area/youth. Look at Citeh, average manager but has every chance to suceed with a seemingly bottomless pit of cash - even Dolly would win something at Citeh nowadays, well maybe....

No chance. Sheikh Mansour can't compete with the Bill Gates' and Lakshmi Mittals.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:24:01 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
Before anybody tells me to f*** off because I'm not a proper Villa supporter, I can tell you that I definately will not be renewing my season ticket for next season for the first time since 1974, that is how out of synch I feel with Villa, and football.

Look Oscar, we've been linked with a loan move for Josh McEachran in January. If that doesn't fill your heart with hope I really don't know what will!

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »

That made me laugh too, thinking of the Wednesday players done for match fixing in the 60's, suspicious transfers and brown paper bags, and black players who don't like the cold.....etc.

The good old days, eh?

Most seem to be pointing out the huge finances, SKY and media in general. You just have to look at what jobs Villa's European Cup winning side have done since then to show the difference in earnings.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 12:37:16 PM »

The good old days, eh?

Most seem to be pointing out the huge finances, SKY and media in general. You just have to look at what jobs Villa's European Cup winning side have done since then to show the difference in earnings.

I kind of understand the fact that players earn lots more than they used to, but thank you for helping to clarify it for me.

I think the point I was underlining is whilst i don't like the ever increasing level to which football is dominated by money, to pretend 40 years ago were halycon days and money didn't shape football back then is wishful thinking

Offline James

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »
The thing is, the economy is fucked and most are having to make cut backs personally. For a family that have gone regularly to VP, all of a sudden the money isn't there, but sadly, the incentive to find the money and to let something else go (like the week in Spain in the summer, for example) isn't there anymore. The argument for 'look, this is something we all do every week and enjoy as a family so it's money better spent than a holiday' no longer applies. That's why gates are dropping and will continue to drop. Randy fucked up bigtime with McLeish, the dour football and lack of effort, the lack even of interesting transfer rumours, have all gone towards the holiday being a better use of family cash than The Villa. We've had bad managerial appointments before, and no doubt will again, but the timing of this one is what's hurting the club, and I'm afraid that the hurting will only start to be really noticed next summer when thousands of season tickets (potentially) will remain unsold/unrenewed. Only then will Randy understand the full implications of his unfathomable decision to appoint McLeish. I don't know where that will leave Villa, and that's the worry, but when the 'product' isn't fit for purpose, you ain't going to be making any sales at the best of times, and the best of times these clearly aren't!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal