collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fed up with football  (Read 16440 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Fed up with football
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »
Has anyone noticed how the people who are losing their enthusiasm for football have boundless enthusiasm when it comes to telling everyone else about it. They're like born again Christians or recently stopped smokers.
Can I just say that I'm as interested in it as ever before and probably more likely to go to a game now than I was ten years ago?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:12:35 PM by Dave »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 10:29:45 PM »
Perhaps it's a way of venting frustration Chris. I agree with most of Deano's sentiments, but fool that I am, I live in hope. That said, I expect another disappointing and frustrating evening tomorrow, rounded off by many ooo's and ahh's on MOTD as Line-acre & co wax lyrical about how great the football in Manchester is. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 10:39:12 PM »
Can I
Has anyone noticed how the people who are losing their enthusiasm for football have boundless enthusiasm when it comes to telling everyone else about it. They're like born again Christians or recently stopped smokers.
Can I just say that I'm as interested in it as ever before and probably more likely to go to a game now than I was ten years ago?

Yeah but you were a poor student then, now you're raking it in and can afford to go ;)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »
What we need is a new "Reasons to be Cheerful" thread.  We just need to think of some reasons to be cheerful.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
What we need is a new "Reasons to be Cheerful" thread.  We just need to think of some reasons to be cheerful.

Then we should break them up into parts one, two and three.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »
Can I

Yeah but you were a poor student then, now you're raking it in and can afford to go ;)
Rumbled.

Apart from the raking it in part.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »
As Chris says, many people go through this phase, where they fall out of love with their club / football in general. I have posted a very similar rant a few years back, probably on the old mailing list.
You'll either get over it once Villa become good again (and we will), find something else to do at the weekend, find non-league football and fall in love with that (not everyone's taste but works for some of us), or any myriad of other lifestyle choices.

What won't happen is the death of football, like it or not, it's as popular as ever, us old gits may not like what is happening at the top, and maybe, just maybe it will change for the better (but who is to say what is "better" if it's still damn popular in it's current form?), so you can slink away or persevere, up to you really.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 11:21:35 PM »

Or indeed (with all due apologies)

A fairly talented manager selects a football team and from under a claret and blue beanie hat you hear: "Booooooooo..." (Ta Neil). And you sit there witnessing the whole Neanderthal situation wanting to twist your own brain out as they stand satisfied at the back of the Holte, laughing their Stone Island off. CRINGE.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »
Can't be bothered any more either, mostly down to the same reasons.  Haven't been regularly since 08/09 and cancelled Sky last week.

I'll still keep my eye on the soap opera that is modern football, I'm just not that fussed these days.

Blimey, that surprises me. Have you down as one of the best posters on here TMWAS!

I still go every game but it's more of a routine than anything tbh.

Only game I've enjoyed watching us play this season home and away was Norwich at home.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:28:57 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:15 PM »

Or indeed (with all due apologies)

A fairly talented manager selects a football team and from under a claret and blue beanie hat you hear: "Booooooooo..." (Ta Neil). And you sit there witnessing the whole Neanderthal situation wanting to twist your own brain out as they stand satisfied at the back of the Holte, laughing their Stone Island off. CRINGE.

Marvelous, never miss a chance do you Joe?

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 11:56:18 PM »
I agree with everything you say Deano.

The game has degenerated  over the last 40 years from something essentially pure and egalitarian to a disgusting greed fuelled monopoly.

Paradoxically though  I remain as interested in the game as I've ever been principally because I would like to see it destroy itself, although that seems a vain hope.

Online NeilH

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 06:45:57 AM »

Sorry Chris, but I think you'll find that most people that post these comments have lost the enthusiasm for Premiership football and not football in general. I still love football and try to go as often as possible to see my local club and take my two lads to their beloved Ajax and Feyenoord respectively.
I encourage anyone who is bored of the Premiership product to get back to their roots and visit a non-league club or lower division team. Its like getting back to football as most of us remember it and if after that you still aren't enthused then I'm afraid that you really have lost the desire.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 07:11:39 AM »

Sorry Chris, but I think you'll find that most people that post these comments have lost the enthusiasm for Premiership football and not football in general. I still love football and try to go as often as possible to see my local club and take my two lads to their beloved Ajax and Feyenoord respectively.
I encourage anyone who is bored of the Premiership product to get back to their roots and visit a non-league club or lower division team. Its like getting back to football as most of us remember it and if after that you still aren't enthused then I'm afraid that you really have lost the desire.

I agree to an extent Neil. I watched Arsenal Man City on Sunday, and Real Barcelona last week, and both games showed me that I still love football, what I don't love is the feeling that Villa as a package are surrendering to becoming a bottom half team with no real direction. Football is still great to watch when played well by people giving their all at any level.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »

I agree to an extent Neil. I watched Arsenal Man City on Sunday, and Real Barcelona last week, and both games showed me that I still love football, what I don't love is the feeling that Villa as a package are surrendering to becoming a bottom half team with no real direction. Football is still great to watch when played well by people giving their all at any level.

Totally my sentiments Ozz
When played in the right spirit and way there is no other game like it - conversely when played badly it can make you feel like it is a chore - this is a period of the latter we are going through

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:42 AM »

Here's something though, it's always happened. People change, their tastes and interests alter as they get older. Most just get on with it, some try to make out it is something more profound.

Spot on, Chris.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal