collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fed up with football  (Read 16434 times)

Online Deano's Mullet

Fed up with football
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
I've never been so disinterested as i have been this season. This probably started towards the middle of last season and has now come around full force right now. It's not because we're crap, we've had shocking seasons before (1990-91, 1994-95, O'Leary's last season) but even then i still found stuff to enjoy and my enthusiasm was still extremely high. Nope, i am out of love with the game.

I cant afford to go. Same with a lot of people i am sure. And those kind tv schedulers have no respect for those that can with some ridiculous kick off times on inappropriate days.
Aston Villa are going backwards fast. We're a selling club. We got beat on Sunday and we expected it. Same again on Thursday I am sure. We beat Bolton the week before and it barely registered with me.
We - and lets face it this goes for everybody bar 3-4 clubs - have no chance of winning anything unless we spend an absolute fortune. Why dont the press see this as opposed to reporting how wonderful 3-4 clubs are. Its hardly a fair playing field is it?
Teams - and we are included in this as of last season - would rather sacrifice silverware
and feature weakened teams if it means they are not losing out on revenue and league position. Its easy enough for the big 4-5 as it is without making it easier for them. Moscow/Man City are all examples where we progressed reasonably well before deciding we werent interested in the trophy after all so bye bye.
The Champions League. Its not for champions and teams celebrate finishing 4th in the league - thus qualifying for it - as if they have won the double. Its not silverware is it? Give me 18th position and the FA Cup any day. And if you lose in the qualifiers it doesnt matter because you drop into the Europa League which is totally wrong. Its just UEFA looking after the big boys again.
SKY. I was all for it in the first 2-3 seasons but its so biased now its unbelievable. The hype far outweighs the actual product and lets face it, it does feel like 16 or so Premier League clubs are just teams that the favoured 4-5 have to play.  And football began in 1992 according to SKY.
Gloryhunting fans. I live in the South East. Manchester City fans popping up everywhere round here just like Chelsea did circa 2004. Most of them wouldnt even be able to find Manchester on map. And Brummie Reds. Why oh why oh why? I have more respect for Birmingham City/WBA supporters than i do Midlands followers of Man U, City, Chelsea etc etc.
The players. Most of them are so out of touch with the supporters its unbelievable. I hate watching England as 90% of the squad are players we would detest during your average league games. And they earn so much now it doesnt matter if they dont make the first team or even worry about under performing on  the pitch because they are raking it in either way. And going back to Villa, i dont remember a squad where there's been such a lack of empathy between players and supporters. You remember that 1992-94 side, there were characters in it, there were cult heroes. Take Gabby out of it, how many players do you feel an affinity with?

Rant over. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Fed up with football
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »
Wednesday.

Offline picicata

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »
Merry Christmas!

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
Wednesday.

See i dont even know when the bloody match is ha ha

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
ho ho

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
I'll be honest, not agreeing with the hating of sky. I think the package and coverage is superb. Sorry, I know it's against the status quo but it's not their fault football is so top heavy and fucked....(ironically I know it's their money that feeds the beast)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:29:15 PM »
Rant over. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same.
Of course they do.

Someone starts a brand new version of this thread every two weeks, where everyone complains about how much they hate football before posting about football every day until the next time someone wants to tell us how much they hate it.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
I normally find I can muster some interest if we are doing well, have ambition and look interested in progressing on the pitch.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I normally find I can muster some interest if we are doing well, have ambition and look interested in progressing on the pitch.

Plastic?

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
Pretty much sums it all up for me Deano.  :(
Certainly the Villa retreating, SKY, the CL and the players comments.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »

Plastic?

Nope.  I am a fan, have been for a very long time, have spent shit loads over the years, can't afford it these days, have got a bit older and therefore, horror of horrors just want something to arouse my passion for the game again.  But don't let it stop you thinking your a better fan than me if it makes you feel better.

Offline DesBremner

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
Hate to say it but agree with all of it Deano
Didn't stop me buying 4 tickets for the Everton game as a treat for me and the kids though
(Even though I didn't renew our season tickets this year after 15 years for me and 5 years for the kids)
Funny old game ain't it (smiley face thingy)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:22 PM »

Plastic?

Nope.  I am a fan, have been for a very long time, have spent shit loads over the years, can't afford it these days, have got a bit older and therefore, horror of horrors just want something to arouse my passion for the game again.  But don't let it stop you thinking your a better fan than me if it makes you feel better.

Nobody said anything about affording anything. You said you're only interested when we're doing well.

Online The Man With A Stick

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
Can't be bothered any more either, mostly down to the same reasons.  Haven't been regularly since 08/09 and cancelled Sky last week.

I'll still keep my eye on the soap opera that is modern football, I'm just not that fussed these days.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 10:13:42 PM »
Has anyone noticed how the people who are losing their enthusiasm for football have boundless enthusiasm when it comes to telling everyone else about it. They're like born again Christians or recently stopped smokers.

Here's something though, it's always happened. People change, their tastes and interests alter as they get older. Most just get on with it, some try to make out it is something more profound.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal