collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are There Similarities to 1986-87?  (Read 18025 times)

Offline jonc73

Re: Are There Similarities to 1986-87?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
I went to the Sheff Wed relegation game with Stuart Ritchie (who I think had the shortest Villa career ever), he was more concerned with the Tottenham result then his team getting relegated.Phil Robinson scored a great goal in the last home game before heading down the leagues.My Nan used to look after some players, that's what I remember it so well.

I hope something happens this year to avoid a repeat, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go down

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
we wont go down but we wont be mid table either

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
Well we certainly have the look of a relegation side to me, and another poor sign was players like Dunne, N'Zogbia and Petrov throwing their hands in the air in desperation at their own team mates,when they came out in the second half Dunne, Collins and Warnock were all chuntering to themselves moaning at all the other players.
What gets me is the total lack of team spirit and leadership on the pitch, I can accept we are not good enough but I won't accept that >:(

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »
I understand the sentiments of the post but thought it timely to mention that there have been a great deal of comments on here, referring to the manager, that might be percived as being a bit racist. I am not including the OP but those who have to call McLeish a Scottish xxxx or whatever.
We have had some fine Scottish people at the club and I am surprised that the site rules do not cover such situations.

Don't be so absurd.  The last manager to take us down was Scottish, I am trying to draw some comparisons as to the state of the current predicament and the fact that the club is in fact managed by a Scotsman currently.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »
I had us at 25/1 at the start of the season to go down. Anyone want to buy the bet off me?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
I understand the sentiments of the post but thought it timely to mention that there have been a great deal of comments on here, referring to the manager, that might be percived as being a bit racist. I am not including the OP but those who have to call
McLeish a Scottish xxxx or whatever.
We have had some fine Scottish people at the club and I am surprised that the site
rules do not cover such situations.

Don't be so absurd.  The last manager to take us down was Scottish, I am trying to draw some comparisons as to the state of the current predicament and the fact
 that the club is in fact managed by a Scotsman currently.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I made it quite clear that my comment was not aimed at the original post.
Maybe I put it on the wrong thread. There have been some statements that are out of order. It was time someone said something. There is no need to put things in the way they have been put. Its a pity the moderators don't see it that way or have the decency to say something. Statements like 'ginger Scottish twat' are out of order.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 06:44:56 PM »
Docherty , Mcneill and mcleish -relegation maybe ?

Wihout Tommy Docherty where would we have been today?
His first season woke Villa up from the doldrums. Admittedly it went wrong but it still got people interested in the club again, in no small way.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:47:59 PM by dave clark five »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »
John, take a break. You may have seen an awful lot more shite than most of us, but its best to bow out now and allow us youngers a moan. I am not slating you, or your wish to educate wastrels. But what we are seeing is shite and people have a right to moan.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
Whilst I'll admit that our 'recent' experience of having a Scottish manager isn't good.  I give you George Ramsay manager from 1884-1926. His teams won 6 FA Cups and 6 League Championships and is therefore our most successful manager ever.
So AM being Scottish doesn't come into the equation.
By the way there isn't much else in your post to argue with. :)

Ramsey wasn't the manager and the teams were selected by the directors.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »
John, take a break. You may have seen an awful lot more shite than most of us, but its best to bow out now and allow us youngers a moan. I am not slating you, or your wish to educate wastrels. But what we are seeing is shite and people have a right to moan.

This is so typical of this board lately. Anyone trying to offer up an alternative viewpoint is told not to bother, as though all you want is everyone agreeing with a party line. Why?

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »

Agreed. I just think the racist abuse is uncalled for. I will let you carry on.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:14:30 PM by dave clark five »

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
In short, no. We have lost to Liverpool many times at home over the years (get used to it), even under some of our more gung-ho and less Scottish managers. I did see us beat them 5-1 once (all goals by half time), but I was quite young and may well have dreamt it.

1986/87 was a real low point, in part because it was not many seasons after an amazing high.
We have a long way to go before it's as bad as that.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »
Wihout Tommy Docherty where would we have been today?
His first season woke Villa up from the doldrums. Admittedly it went wrong but it still got people interested in the club again, in no small way.

Good to see someone appreciating Docherty. He did far more for the club than he is ever given credit for.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
Doc-Doc-Docherty, who the fuckin' hell is he?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »

Agreed. I just think the racist abuse is uncalled for. I will let you carry on.

Where is this racist abuse?  Rather than have a go at the mods for something they haven't seen, why don't you try being helpful and drop a PM pointing it out?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal