collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stewart Downing (with added allegations Reply#103)  (Read 157385 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Stewart Downing (with added allegations Reply#103)
« Reply #600 on: December 17, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »

I caught a glimpse from the dreams of children
I got a feeling of optimism
But woke up to a grey and lonely picture
The streets below left me feeling dirty, and
I was alone, no one was there

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #601 on: December 17, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
I think there's a decent player in there somewhere, he could still do a job at VP, probably not in the current system.
we dont need hamster bollocks at our club. he is no longer welcome!

Downing is about as far away from the type of player Lambert is looking for as its possible to get.

not to mention he's also a bit rubbish

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #602 on: December 17, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »
Felt he was their best player yesterday even out of position at LB Certainly he performed better than Rodgers £15mil midfielder.

I honestly reckon that if Downing tried to find an opposition player with his cross he'd be a world class winger.He managed a staggering 13 crosses on Saturday. Only two found a red shirt. All the bullshit about how he used to supply the goals for Bent last season was just that, bullshit.

I disagree completely.

We defended excellently and have a goalkeeper who will claim anything that it's near him but he managed to find a man twice, that's not brilliant but not terrible, a similar number of crosses of similar quality would see him get 7-8 assists for the season, which is decent for a premier league winger.

That's exactly what he is, a decent mid table premier league winger, the problem is £20m was well over double his value after we'd already massively overpaid.

Offline rutski

« Reply #603 on: December 17, 2012, 06:53:31 PM »
Felt he was their best player yesterday even out of position at LB Certainly he performed better than Rodgers £15mil midfielder.

I honestly reckon that if Downing tried to find an opposition player with his cross he'd be a world class winger.He managed a staggering 13 crosses on Saturday. Only two found a red shirt. All the bullshit about how he used to supply the goals for Bent last season was just that, bullshit.

I disagree completely.

We defended excellently and have a goalkeeper who will claim anything that it's near him but he managed to find a man twice, that's not brilliant but not terrible, a similar number of crosses of similar quality would see him get 7-8 assists for the season, which is decent for a premier league winger.

That's exactly what he is, a decent mid table premier league winger, the problem is £20m was well over double his value after we'd already massively overpaid.
he was bought ultimately for a final day performance against Liverpool. yes he had had a decent season, but that game got him his move. exactly the same move for a player that o'neill made when we signed sidwell. that february game sealed his eventual move to us.
both managers have needed to be a bit more long sighted than they were, but thanks kenny anyway!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #604 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
carroll 35 million
downing 20
Henderson 16/20 ??
Allen   15 million

ha ha . I do love football sometimes

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #605 on: December 17, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
Plus about £7million on Adam and then flogging him 12 months later to Stoke for £4million.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #606 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »

Is it?  Last season Premier League clubs scored, on average, about 50 goals over the course of a season.  If over the course of that season you create only 15% of your team's goals as one of two main wingers it sounds pretty crap to me.

Wasn't there a stat last season that he didn't create a single goal?  Who wants a winger who can't create goals?  We said it at the time that Man City got the best of Middlesborough's wingers - half a decent season with us (and it was only half, he scored a few goals in the first half and did very little in the second) doesn't change that view.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:44:33 PM by Ad@m »

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #607 on: December 17, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »
Downing only scores against liverpoo

Online cdward

« Reply #608 on: December 17, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »
I think there's a decent player in there somewhere, he could still do a job at VP, probably not in the current system.

Selling pies?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #609 on: December 17, 2012, 09:07:02 PM »
Good player.

But someone who dosen't have the mentallity or the bottle to play for a club where expectations remain high like at Liverpool.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #610 on: December 17, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »

Is it?  Last season Premier League clubs scored, on average, about 50 goals over the course of a season.  If over the course of that season you create only 15% of your team's goals as one of two main wingers it sounds pretty crap to me.

Wasn't there a stat last season that he didn't create a single goal?  Who wants a winger who can't create goals?  We said it at the time that Man City got the best of Middlesborough's wingers - half a decent season with us (and it was only half, he scored a few goals in the first half and did very little in the second) doesn't change that view.

Yes it is.

This season so far

As you'll see 4 currently gets you to joint 8th (that's less that 1 in 4, so averages around 8-9 for the season) and 3 (which would be 6-7 over a season) gets you 18th.  So I'd guess 7-8 will see someone in the top 15 on assists for the season.  Seems reasonable to quantify said player as a decent mid-table winger to me.

The way assists are calculated in the official stats is pretty stringent so no where near all goals have an assist recorded for them (direct free kicks and penaltes for example aren't recorded, and if the player who scores carries the ball for a decent distance no assist is recorded either), in real terms for 50 goals probably only 30ish count as having an assist.  7-8 would be roughly 25%, which again is a perfectly acceptable return.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal