collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Should we rename the club to include Birmingham in our name?  (Read 49221 times)

Online Billy Walker

Re: Should we rename the club to include Birmingham in our name?
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »

Villa Park Birmingham?

This is what needs to be done.

Legion's suggestion of "The Home of Football" would look great, too. 

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2011, 12:00:27 AM »
I don't for one minute think we should change the name but the point was made very early on in this thread that people from overseas rarely know where Aston Villa FC is from. We share this potential 'issue' with clubs like Everton and London clubs like QPR, Fulham, Spurs, who don't carry the name of their city in their club name. Who knows where Real Sociedad, Levante, Osasuna from the Spanish league are based? Probably doesn't matter but people from overseas (I meet quite a lot of them through work) often ask me what part of London AVFC  is from.

To be fair, when you tell quite a lot of foreigners you're from England, the only city they know of is London.  Changing the club's name to include Birmingham wouldn't help.

Just after he'd signed his contract with Newcastle, Faustino Asprilla asked Freddie Shepherd "Just one more thing, which part of London is Newcastle based in?"

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »
We've got the best name in football, what on earth would we want to change it for?

And who cares about a bunch of halfwits watching "EPL soccer" on their computers in Thailand and Singapore.  If they can't be arsed to do a bit of research on Wikipedia then cobblers to them.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2011, 05:11:48 AM »
Merse was going on about living 'in Villa' on Saturday when he was arguing that we are a bigger club than Newcastle.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
I don't for one minute think we should change the name but the point was made very early on in this thread that people from overseas rarely know where Aston Villa FC is from. We share this potential 'issue' with clubs like Everton and London clubs like QPR, Fulham, Spurs, who don't carry the name of their city in their club name. Who knows where Real Sociedad, Levante, Osasuna from the Spanish league are based? Probably doesn't matter but people from overseas (I meet quite a lot of them through work) often ask me what part of London AVFC  is from.

To be fair, when you tell quite a lot of foreigners you're from England, the only city they know of is London.  Changing the club's name to include Birmingham wouldn't help.

Just after he'd signed his contract with Newcastle, Faustino Asprilla asked Freddie Shepherd "Just one more thing, which part of London is Newcastle based in?"

My Spanish father-in-law, who is with us for the festive season, always seems to think that London and the UK are one and the same thing. Over the years I think he's finally coming to terms with the fact that Manchester is a city in its own right and not somewhere in North London.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2011, 10:14:04 AM »
Unfortunately it is a NO from me but fair play for atleast asking the question and engaging the views of other villa fans.

Offline Aston Manor

« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
I agree that not many fans overseas now that we play in Birmingham but they know Aston Villa. So the problem being that the profile of Birmingham is what needs addressing not the profile of Aston Villa. Again, whilst the city of Birmingham is known Birmingham City are not. So again, adding the name Birmingham to an already faultless name is pointless. If the city of Birmingham needs help in attracting people than do something proactive as a city and don't live of our name.

i'm a proud Brummie and love my city and love being from Birmingham. I'll defend the place to the death. However, i don't love my city more than Aston Villa. It exists in its own right. I think given the fact that most people support Villa in Birmingham, most people overseas know the name Aston Villa it may be a better question to ask whether the city of Birmingham should change its name to Aston Villa.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »
I've already said it's a big no from me. Problem is, if the football club that does carry the name of the city should cease to exist for any reason. Let's just say it goes bust or something like that. Would there be some pressure on us to do it then?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
I've already said it's a big no from me. Problem is, if the football club that does carry the name of the city should cease to exist for any reason. Let's just say it goes bust or something like that. Would there be some pressure on us to do it then?

No. Because they just form a company called `Birmingham City (insert year) Limited`, apply to FA to enter a team in the Midland Football Combination Division Two, and play games at West Hills paying  the liquidator for the use of the pitch on a game to game basis.  ;D

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2011, 10:13:42 PM »
Lets turn this question around:

Should Birmingham City revert to their old name of Small Heath?

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2011, 10:34:01 PM »
Aston Villa is Aston Villa, thats it. I am a non brummie although my Dad was born there because of a difficult childbirth and my Mum is a brummie through and through. I was born in South Warwickshire.
I have never ever got the idea of The Villa being a Birmingham Club. I allways thought we are bigger than that in a good way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal