collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 1982-2012  (Read 17100 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: 1982-2012
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
As someone who wasn't alive during that period, I'd like their to be another celebration. 2006 was a great day and what's the harm in doing something similar?
There is no harm in celebrating our history. At this moment though it will only upset modern day supporters, who see the current ambitions and attitude of the club.

Could you please, just this once, refrain from saying the same things you say on just about every thread?
Nope. Ban me if you have any problem with what I say.

With pleasure. Now perhaps if we can return to the subject in hand.

Have you really banned him for that? It's a public forum and I'd have thought he's entitled to an opinion however much he might irritate you. 

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
Quote from: Site Rules:
Posters including such phrases as "I know you will delete this" or "I bet I get banned for saying this" as some sort of challenge to the moderators will find the post deleted and/or themselves banned as a matter of principle.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2011, 04:30:22 PM »
Yeah, nice rule, but I still find it a rather over the top, needless and pointless ban.  The guy was just reacting to being "advised" what he may or may not post on a particular thread and I don't blame him for beign a bit annoyed.  Why couldn't he just be allowed to have his say, regardless of how irritating a particular poster might find his views?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »
Quote from: Site rules again!
If you are unhappy with something, for example, a post or topic, PM or the removal or locking of a thread then please PM or email a moderator/administrator (preferably one that you can see is online at the time). Do not start another thread asking why the other thread has been locked/removed, and definitely do not hijack another thread to do the same.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
We all know we're never going to win The European Cup in our lifetimes again so I believe that those players who brought the greatest club honour to Villa Park should never be in any doubt as to how much their efforts are appreciated by us supporters.

Remember these weren't highly paid superstars  many of them were what some would describe as journeymen players who were part of an extremely thin squad making their efforts far more commendable than European Cup winners these days.

Also I don't care about the argument that marking these anniversaries makes us look small time.  Who Cares what anyone else thinks about Aston Villa? I know it's a great club, but whether or not we're a "big club" is irrelevant. 
What's important is the players themselves and to keep honouring these guys as long as they are living and breathing, because what they achieved is unlikely to ever be repeated at this club.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:21:00 PM by 5ft811st2 Durham »

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »
to listen to a lot of you guys on here, you'd think the club had been celebrating it non stop since we won it  'done it to death' ?   what once in the last 30 years !
 the previous owner never hardly mentioned it for the most part of that, not even the odd photo hanging around the club to remind anyone,
if anything i would say the Villa authotiies have done a bloody good job to try and forget it ever happened

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
Are we going to completely ignore the 10th anniversary of winning the intertoto?  ;)

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
Also I don't care about the argument that marking these anniversaries makes us look small time.  Who Cares what anyone else thinks about Aston Villa? I know it's a great club, but whether or not we're a "big club" is irrelevant. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:27 PM »
On a serious note, there are two more anniversaries in 2012 that have never been marked yet are just as important in the greater scheme of things, namely forty years since we won the FA Youth Cup and the third division. Without them we wouldn't have had the other one.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
Let's celebrate the lot!
And in a couple of years it'll be the 140th!  Now I expect a major party for that one, wherever we are.
I mean of course, wherever we are playing in the CL that year when The Date comes around.

While I'm here can I put in another vote for the 19 games and 19 people idea.  But the main thing is to mark the anniversary.  Great idea and will really irritate some Arsenal fans I know!

Offline Risso

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
Yeah, nice rule, but I still find it a rather over the top, needless and pointless ban.  The guy was just reacting to being "advised" what he may or may not post on a particular thread and I don't blame him for beign a bit annoyed.  Why couldn't he just be allowed to have his say, regardless of how irritating a particular poster might find his views?

Indeed.  A complete and utter overreaction to somebody with a different opinion. 

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »
I too would go with the 19 games 19 people idea plus when we play the four wannabes we have a picture of the team with the trophy on the big screen with "Look at what you haven't won" underneath.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »

Indeed.  A complete and utter overreaction to somebody with a different opinion. 

It wasn't for that, as you well know. There are plenty of opportunities on here to say whatever you like, but a request was made to keep this thread on-topic, to which the poster in question said "No," and gave an ultimatum. Now, if we can return to the subject in hand....

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
Of all the European Cup winners, we're the least known and celebrated. I get the feeling its seen as a bit of an aberration.

I too would go with the 19 games 19 people idea plus when we play the four wannabes we have a picture of the team with the trophy on the big screen with "Look at what you haven't won" underneath.

I'd go with this. Maybe add "Have you won the European Cup?" flashing around the hoardings.

Offline Risso

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2011, 12:01:21 PM »

It wasn't for that, as you well know. There are plenty of opportunities on here to say whatever you like, but a request was made to keep this thread on-topic, to which the poster in question said "No," and gave an ultimatum. Now, if we can return to the subject in hand....

The topic was asking whether we should celebrate the 30 year anniversary, to which the poster replied:

"There is no harm in celebrating our history. At this moment though it will only upset modern day supporters, who see the current ambitions and attitude of the club."

How is that not on topic?  He answered the question, and gave his reason for it.  The only thing you took issue with was the implied criticism of the club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal