collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by SamTheMouse
[Today at 12:43:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Martin Jol - Did we dodge a bullet?  (Read 18702 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Martin Jol - Did we dodge a bullet?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »
We may have dodged it but the next out the barrel hit us firmly between the eyes.

We're like that scene in Saving Private Ryan, were the soldier takes a bullet in the helmet, takes off the helmet to look at it whilst thanking his lucky stars & then gets shot right between the eyes.

very good

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:57 PM »
Fulham are essentially the same squad of players that they've been for the past 2-3 seasons, so he can't claim much credit for the way they play.

Very true. In the same way McLeish can't take too much of the blame for the way we play.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
Speak to any Ajax fan about Jol and they will say in unison 'We told you so'

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »
Poor displays?  They looked half decent to me against Liverpool. 

Anyway, what is it with modern day footballers and "training methods" they don't appear to like? We had it last season with our lot apparently not liking GH's methods when it was clear the fitness of some of our players wasn't up to scratch. 

The fitness thing has been there for a few years now. I remember John Terry saying that Chelsea waited for the 60th minute mark against us as they knew we'd get tired.

I remember that, then I remembered that we had a good record against them and recalled him having a tantrum kicking the post after conceding at VP and thought "what a lying twat".

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
Fulham are essentially the same squad of players that they've been for the past 2-3 seasons, so he can't claim much credit for the way they play.

Very true. In the same way McLeish can't take too much of the blame for the way we play.

Not the same. As I said, he inherited a squad that largely had been together for a while, it would have been different if he'd had to sell Murphy, Dempsey and Etuhu.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
Next up, Owen Coyle - did we dodge a bullet?

I never really got the love-in for him last season. He had Bolton around the top six - eight for a few months, then they finished 14th.

Same as the risible Sunderland fans talking about "Bent leaving a top six club", based on them being in the top six in January.

The other week I saw in one of the papers some utter pap about Alan Pardew having a good shout to be the next England manager. Ridiculous.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
Poor displays this year
Senior players being vocal about training methods and coaching

He was fancied highly by a few on here

I actually think he is worse than Ginge - and thats saying something

Sounds like Houllier situation last season, a period which many are now looking back on with a certain fondness.

Offline Iago

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 05:38:41 PM »
Did we dodge a bullet? No. We need to settle down and see where we both finish this season. AM still has a lot to prove here.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »
Next up, Owen Coyle - did we dodge a bullet?

I never really got the love-in for him last season. He had Bolton around the top six - eight for a few months, then they finished 14th.

Same as the risible Sunderland fans talking about "Bent leaving a top six club", based on them being in the top six in January.

The other week I saw in one of the papers some utter pap about Alan Pardew having a good shout to be the next England manager. Ridiculous.

Me neither.

As for Pardew, I have an irrational dislike for him.  He always seems to have a gigantic ego with not a lot to back it up with. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 07:15:11 PM »
Poor displays?  They looked half decent to me against Liverpool. 

Anyway, what is it with modern day footballers and "training methods" they don't appear to like? We had it last season with our lot apparently not liking GH's methods when it was clear the fitness of some of our players wasn't up to scratch. 

The fitness thing has been there for a few years now. I remember John Terry saying that Chelsea waited for the 60th minute mark against us as they knew we'd get tired.

I remember that, then I remembered that we had a good record against them and recalled him having a tantrum kicking the post after conceding at VP and thought "what a lying twat".

Pretty sure you're misremembering that. He said it a year and a half ago after they hammered us 7-1 and before they beat us 3-0 in the semi-final of the FA Cup when they scored two late goals which didn't exactly disprove his point.

Offline john2710

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 08:02:59 PM »

[/quote]

The tempo MON had us playing at for the first hour in most games was never sustainable. If we weren't a couple of goals up we'd struggle over the last 20 & he'd rarely rest or substitute anyone. Doesn't take much to work Terry's comment out.
[/quote]

Pretty sure you're misremembering that. He said it a year and a half ago after they hammered us 7-1 and before they beat us 3-0 in the semi-final of the FA Cup when they scored two late goals which didn't exactly disprove his point.
[/quote]

The tempo MON had us playing at for the first hour in most games was never sustainable.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
It's possible Jol is suffering a bit of Dunne/Collins syndrome, trying to apply continental methods to players with a very British mentality who want to stay in the technique and fitness free comfort zone they've enjoyed under British bosses.  I rate him as a manager and I think Fulham will do okay eventually.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
Poor displays this year

Sounds like Houllier situation last season, a period which many are now looking back on with a certain fondness.

I don't look back on that with any fondness. Houllier had better players at his disposal than McLeish and the board backed him with cash in January. McLeish has been asked to work on a shoestring and has lost the likes of Ashley young, Luke Young and Dirty D (not saying Dirty D was a great player, but still, the fact that we lost two 'big players' and didn't replace both reduced Mcleish's prospects).On balance, Mcleish has done a better job than Houllier.

Offline Iago

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 10:12:10 PM »
It's possible Jol is suffering a bit of Dunne/Collins syndrome, trying to apply continental methods to players with a very British mentality who want to stay in the technique and fitness free comfort zone they've enjoyed under British bosses.  I rate him as a manager and I think Fulham will do okay eventually.
Totally agree. In the long term they will benefit for this appointment.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 12:40:01 AM »
Poor displays this year

I don't look back on that with any fondness. Houllier had better players at his disposal than McLeish and the board backed him with cash in January. McLeish has been asked to work on a shoestring and has lost the likes of Ashley young, Luke Young and Dirty D (not saying Dirty D was a great player, but still, the fact that we lost two 'big players' and didn't replace both reduced Mcleish's prospects).On balance, Mcleish has done a better job than Houllier.

It's too early to make that call. Comparing the two home performances to ManUre, this season and last, they were worlds apart (I do acknowledge Young and Downing had great games in that match last season but we also had more inexperienced players on show that day than this season). McLeish had the easier fixtures at the start too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal