collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Speculation (or lack of) Thread  (Read 672359 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: January Transfer Speculation (or lack of) Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 02:08:14 PM »
Yes, we can do better. Or at least smarter.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 02:12:24 PM »
Loan Delfouneso out to the Blues or a similar shitty championship club.

Hopefully the board will be looking to offload more of the over paid shit this january, like Ireland & Heskey.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
Put it this way, he would make a better forward than Emile Heskey.  Its just another option up front.

Why, though?

Our problem isn't the players we have up front, and we have Weimann and Delfouneso as options.

Our problem is getting the ball to the strikers in the first place. Zamora will be looking at his last decent deal at his age, and will want good money. We just don't need him, I can't see us allocating wage resource there.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 02:26:34 PM »
Put it this way, he would make a better forward than Emile Heskey.  Its just another option up front.

Why, though?

Our problem isn't the players we have up front, and we have Weimann and Delfouneso as options.

Our problem is getting the ball to the strikers in the first place. Zamora will be looking at his last decent deal at his age, and will want good money. We just don't need him, I can't see us allocating wage resource there.

Lets get real, we are no Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea etc where they can out pass a side and score.  Unfortunately, there will be times when we HAVE to play long ball.  Whether we like it or not, it will happen at Villa.  All i'm saying is that he would be decent as a different option should we have to switch to a long ball tactic.  Yes I along with 99% of people on here, dont like it but it will happen.  Zamora can offer more than Heskey in that position and can score more than him.  Fonz and Weimann cannot play that role nor can Bent or Gabby.  Fonz, in my opinion, is just not good enough at this level.  I would like to see Weimann used more especially against liverpool this weekend.
The story about Zamora is prob a lod of tosh but my thinking was around a different style of football should it be required.  Personally, if it he doesn't come to villa, I wont be losing any sleep over it.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 02:38:10 PM »
Zamora is on £50,000 per week at Fulham. So either he has to take a pay cut if he wants to play, or he can fester in Fulham's reserves on his threadbare wages.

However, I don't see us paying a fee for him in January, and because of the Jenas situation we are only allowed one more loan deal for the rest of the season (well done Villa on that), so I don't think this will happen as I think the manager feels cover in midfield is of more importance. 

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
Yep, defo.  I think Midfield is the area he will strengthen.  I'd like to see another CM and another winger come in who can help supply Bent.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
Didn't Sir GT II try to sign him when he was at Brighton?

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
Yep, defo.  I think Midfield is the area he will strengthen.  I'd like to see another CM and another winger come in who can help supply Bent.

The problem is, what's out there that we can afford. Also, according to the reports we have to offload at least one of the big wage earners before we can get someone else in.

Offline BedsVillain

• Twitter:
  • GM : May, 2013
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »
There are many better 'big/target man' options that would offer value for money and longeivity.

I'm hoping with McLeish's bold statement that he wants us to play like a dutch team, he's got Artur Numan lining up players ready for January.
My personal wishlist, if he is looking for a big man up top would be Bas Dost 6'5" with the Peter Crouch standard 'good feet for a big man'. Looks as exciting as Huntelaar was when he was 22. I know people will say it's only the Dutch league, but he really has looked quality for his 17 goals this season

But probably one of the most exciting prospects in the Erdivise at the moment is Luciano Narsingh, also at Heerenveen, very quick, tricky right winger already has 14 assists and 7 goals this season, only 21. Could be the Ashley Young replacement who giets Benty back on form.

Here's the obligatory youtube clips

Also this weekend Dost scored all five goals in Heerenveen's win over Excelsior, Narsingh had four assists and the other assist went to Oussama Assaidi who is a decent left winger too.

Excelsior 0 – Heerenveen 5

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 02:55:41 PM »

Not sure about wingers - CNZ and Marc looked fine the weekend and Gabby will always still play wide at times.  But agree about a CM.  The good thing there is that should be be attacking we cna play Petrov deeper and if he's a DCM he can come in for Herd and we can play Stan where he was on Saturday.  I'd prfer attacking, or at least box to box, though, which would then give us a good option for a 3 with Petrov, Herd and the new guy.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 03:11:03 PM »
I would rather try and prise Dempsey away from them, probably out of our reach, a clever player, I have always liked him.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 03:27:26 PM »
I would rather try and prise Dempsey away from them, probably out of our reach, a clever player, I have always liked him.

I think Dempsey is very underrated.  He seems to score some important goal for Fulham and think he would be a very useful addition.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 04:09:31 PM »
 No to Zamora, if players accross the channel are still out of bounds then I would rather we looked at players who are hungrier and younger - and within our budget.  Church at Reading and Rodriguez at Burnley com eto mind for forwards. 

But...it would be better if we could find out whther the Fonz and Weimann are going to make it by giving them more playing time.  Likewise midfield - play Gardner, oh..and defence play Clark.

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 04:10:25 PM »
He's much improved, holds tye ball up as well as anyone in the country. Decent touch, strong and scores a few. It was mentioned on Sunday Supplement yesterday that a lot of the players unhappy with Jol's methods and Zomorra wanted to go but I'm not sure AM would want another striker just now.

Surely you are not suggesting he holds the ball up as well as rooney ? I doubt we could afford the sort of fee zamora would require but i would not be surprised to see steven davis back at villa in january, as part of a deal that may see cuellar go the opposite way and a fee to rangers on top.

I doubt we will see a great deal of transfer action next month although the likes of petrov and heskey may attract a gentleman in the wearside area.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
We need a centre mid above anything else. Although I'm hoping Gary Gardner will be the play we're looking for.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal