collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:29:02 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Smithy
[Today at 07:28:18 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:27:17 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Pete3206
[Today at 07:25:04 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:21:35 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 07:20:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:19:13 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:17:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Richard Dunne  (Read 25607 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Richard Dunne
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2011, 11:20:33 AM »
He was very good in 09/10 but at his age we were only really going to get that one outstanding season out of him. He's still been good this season but 32 and on big money, he's going to difficult to shift in the summer.

This is his 3rd season with us and I'd guess he signed a 4 year deal.  So why get rid of him?  Lets benefit from another year with Clark learning the ropes alongside him and Collins as back-up.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »
He was very good in 09/10 but at his age we were only really going to get that one outstanding season out of him. He's still been good this season but 32 and on big money, he's going to difficult to shift in the summer.

This is his 3rd season with us and I'd guess he signed a 4 year deal.  So why get rid of him?  Lets benefit from another year with Clark learning the ropes alongside him and Collins as back-up.

One consideration will be that he's got sell-on value now, but will go for a free if we move him on in a year.

His agent will doubtless be talking to us now about his next contract, given he's only got a year left. If we're not planning (this is a hypothetical situation) to give him a new contract, then that would be the time to sell him after three years rather than four.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:33:26 AM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2011, 11:32:14 AM »
Warnock, Collins and Dunne all have 18 months left on their contract. As does Petrov.

I wouldn't give any of them a new deal tbh. If they all go in the summer then so be it.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »
Eighteen months ago when asked to pick the best players in the Premier League his fellow professionals chose Dunne ahead of all the more celebrated names mentioned above.

And eighteen months ago he fully deserved the accolade, based on an excellent season. Eighteen months ago however isn't now and his fellow professionals certainly didn't choose him above all of the more celebrated names mentioned above for last season.

I do wonder what people expect from a centre half if they can't see how good he is. Strong, good in the air, reads the game well, quick, a good organiser and is reasonably composed on the ball - in short a top, modern defender.

I don't get the good organiser bit to be honest. If he's such a good organiser why has our defence been such a shambles for the last season and a half?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
It hasn't been a shambles for a season and a half. The second part of last season it was fine and for most of this season it has been pretty good, we had a few iffy games but look at the goals against column - we've conceded 19, 5 clubs have conceded 1 fewer and then there are 3 better than that.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2011, 01:34:25 PM »
I'd agree with SheffVillain that the defence has not appeared to be particularly well-organised for a while. Last season I rather thought it might have been a problem with Friedel but I increasingly lack confidence in our 2 senior CB.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »

One consideration will be that he's got sell-on value now, but will go for a free if we move him on in a year.

His agent will doubtless be talking to us now about his next contract, given he's only got a year left. If we're not planning (this is a hypothetical situation) to give him a new contract, then that would be the time to sell him after three years rather than four.

I think his contribution over the next 12-18 months is probably worth more to us than the fee we'd get.  As Collins is younger, we should get more for him, so maybe the answer is to sell him, keep Dunne and buy someone like Samba?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
Eighteen months ago when asked to pick the best players in the Premier League his fellow professionals chose Dunne ahead of all the more celebrated names mentioned above.

I do wonder what people expect from a centre half if they can't see how good he is. Strong, good in the air, reads the game well, quick, a good organiser and is reasonably composed on the ball - in short a top, modern defender.

Unless they've changed the format, the votes for the Team of the Year (and the Player of the Year) need to be in by Feb.  Up until Feb 2010 he probably was deserving of such an accolade.   But from that point on (pretty much from the LC defeat to Man U)  our defence has looked suspect.  And whilst he isn't at fault for all of that, he is at fault for a large chunk of it.

You and I must have different definitions of 'reads the game well,'   I see a player giving away free kicks in dangerous areas or being done for pace and that's the last attribute that springs to mind for me.   Thing is, he does have a surprising turn of pace, so maybe it's his overall fitness that lets him down in that regard.   Might explain why we're so susceptible to late goals conceded- he's one of a number of players just not able to last the 90 minutes.

With the way he plays, ie lacking composure and throwing himself at everything, that's probably not surprising. As for his distribution, his basic short passing -playing the obvious ball- is fine.  Which is why he should do it more often.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »
Dunney comes in for a lot of stick on here. I think we would be in trouble without him. Ken McNaught described his performance at Bolton as a Colossus. Maybe people want
fancy centre halves. I prefer them to be stoppers in the first instance. James Collins also has my approval.

But the idea that without Dunne we'd be in trouble is quite bizarre  for me.
We have been without Dunne for more than a century and we won what we have won.

He absolutely can't play football as he has irons for feet, he doesn't find  a passage even by mistake, all he can do is to  belt the ball clear (a style of football that was played in 1930), he's one of the most error prone players in the PL together

You clearly don't like him Archie. There are times when you need muscle in a team. This is one of them. McLeish is calling for a bit of it tomorrow.

Offline Archie

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
I sincerely hope that facts prove that I'm wrong and you're right Dave, the interest of the club is more important than  my personal preferences and vision of football.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »
I sincerely hope that facts prove that I'm wrong and you're right Dave, the interest of the club is more important than  my personal preferences and vision of football.

Well said Archie. I have often been in a similar position about not liking players or managers but the ultimate aim is the success of the team.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
It hasn't been a shambles for a season and a half. The second part of last season it was fine and for most of this season it has been pretty good, we had a few iffy games but look at the goals against column - we've conceded 19, 5 clubs have conceded 1 fewer and then there are 3 better than that.

It bloody well is today, isn't it!

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
Utter wank.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal