collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Richard Dunne  (Read 25621 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Richard Dunne
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »
Not a fan.

Old fashioned stopper?   Just a shame it's 2011 then.
There was a time when a mess like Jan Molby could wobble around the pitch, such was the standard of football and adherence to training regimes at the time.

But with the obscene amounts paid to professional footballers today, the very least you could hope for is that they are, er professional.   Waddling back for pre season about 2 stone overweight and being collared smoking and drinking up town on the eve of an important set of games is a bit shit really.

We all know about God's refuelling habits and even Laursen was keen on a smoke apparently.  I guess the lesson there is, if you're going to to that make sure you are the best player on the park on Saturday.

Dunne is all too often hit and miss, you never quite know what you're going to get from him one game to the next. At his peak a few years back he was probably one of the better defenders in the league.  He can still hit those heights occasionally, as per his performance for Ireland in Moscow. But he was provocatively poor for at least two thirds of last season. Being just a bit less shit this season isn't reason enough to dish out the accolades IMO.

I'll be quite happy to see him moved on in the summer- maybe even earlier with a bit of luck. 

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »
Dunne has had a good season so far IMHO and an asset to our team at present. Cant say the same about Collins, whose positioning is awful. Yes, he makes some good last ditch challenges, but this is often due to his bad positioning in the first place. Cuellar would be a far better partner for Dunne. As for Clark, am surprised he has not been given a few games, still learning his trade obviously but a very good prospect.

Online not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »
It seems to be a knee jerk reaction from a lot of fans to talk about "Getting rid of Heskey, Petrov, Dunne, Collins".  Basically if it is from the MON era it must be bad and should be thrown out as soon as possible.  However, whenever I've watched Dunne this year he's been Villa's best defender.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
Dunne has been pretty decent this season. However, I still think he should have been potted for his shocking lack of professionalism last season. There are some things I can forgive but coming into the season looking like the Michelin Man, stinking the place out with a series of shit performances and not to mention supposedly assaulting one of the coaching staff are not amongst them.

And, what we all forget, is that with Richard Dunne the next error or run of bad form is just around the corner.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »
I used to prefer Collins but whereas Dunne has improved his form and fitness a lot from last season Collins has gone backwards each year since he arrived. I would like to see Cuellar alongside Dunne. As for Clark, I'm hoping to see him given a chance in midfield.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
Clark will definitely be (and is) a good defender. He still has some learning to do but he should play more.
Collins being sucked to the ball is winding me up to be honest. It's happening several times a game now and leads to trouble invariably.
However, he is a trier and has some sort of understanding with Dunne so I can understand why McLeish is loathe to change it at the moment.
But I want to see Clark play more soon because I think he could be outstanding.
Correct.
The thing I noticed at Bolton on Saturday was the way that both Collins and Mutton (who both played okay-ish) have positional frailties. Mutton ball-watches too much and loses sight of the man he's supposed to be marking; Collins gets drawn upfield.

Online nigel

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Clark will definitely be (and is) a good defender. He still has some learning to do but he should play more.
Collins being sucked to the ball is winding me up to be honest. It's happening several times a game now and leads to trouble invariably.
However, he is a trier and has some sort of understanding with Dunne so I can understand why McLeish is loathe to change it at the moment.
But I want to see Clark play more soon because I think he could be outstanding.
Correct.
The thing I noticed at Bolton on Saturday was the way that both Collins and Mutton (who both played okay-ish) have positional frailties. Mutton ball-watches too much and loses sight of the man he's supposed to be marking; Collins gets drawn upfield.
Could the fact that with Collins being drawn up and out of position leaves Hutton covering for him, thus being pulled out of position himself.
That appeared to be the case for the MU goal (I'll have to check video first)

Online nigel

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
Stand corrected, checked video on AVTV, for MU goal.
Hutton was challenging Young and another player allowed his man to go free, Collins left Nani to cover him leaving Nani on his own behind Hutton.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
Hutton's biggest weakness is how easily he's pulled out of position. Eagles had so much space on Saturday, it was shocking.

Dunne has certainly stepped up this season, it's pretty hard to fault him, if I was to I'd say he's not consistent enough. When he wants to be, he can be a real class defender. Other times he's good but the concentration is lacking. I guess it's what Ron Saunders meant by that extra 10%.

Overall I'm happy with Richard, I finally think he cares about us and it shows in his performances.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 04:06:33 PM »
Overall I'm happy with Richard, I finally think he cares about us and it shows in his performances.

I never had any doubts about him 'caring' under MON, it was just when Houllier rocked up and put his and others nose's out of joint! 

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
Dunne is a very good player but prone to lapses in concentration, something which sifts the good from the great.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »
Dunne has been superb this season. It is a good job too because Collins has been woeful at times.

This. I can't believe Collins still starts ahead of Cueller. Carlos and Dunne would be some pairing.

Offline rutski

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »
Dunne has been superb this season. It is a good job too because Collins has been woeful at times.

This. I can't believe Collins still starts ahead of Cueller. Carlos and Dunne would be some pairing.
mon, kevin macdonald, gerard houllier, mcallister and now mcleish. All these managers seem to think there is something wrong with playing cuellar at centre half.

Can you remember from the 77th minute at home to stoke when he was playing with davies till the end of the season. he was so ropey, undecisive and panicked every time the ball came into the box it was one of the main reasons we didnt finish 4th.
everyone seems to like him as he doesnt say anything bad about the club but is really just seeing out his contract for a bumper pay off at the end of the season with a new contract atwith another club!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »

mon, kevin macdonald, gerard houllier, mcallister and now mcleish. All these managers seem to think there is something wrong with playing cuellar at centre half.

Can you remember from the 77th minute at home to stoke when he was playing with davies till the end of the season. he was so ropey, undecisive and panicked every time the ball came into the box it was one of the main reasons we didnt finish 4th.
everyone seems to like him as he doesnt say anything bad about the club but is really just seeing out his contract for a bumper pay off at the end of the season with a new contract atwith another club!

I've said this before. For all that he's a 'good clubman' there has to be something odd when a player shows no intention of wanting to play regularly.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »

I never had any doubts about him 'caring' under MON, it was just when Houllier rocked up and put his and others nose's out of joint! 

You're right John, he did care but it seems so long ago I'd completely forgotten. As others have said, you can't blame Houllier for Dunne turning up for pre-season looking like Bibendum, the Michelin man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal