collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How high will the dead black cat bounce?  (Read 25437 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: How high will the dead black cat bounce?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 12:57:04 AM »
Apart from H&V I remember The Villa Bugle, Holy Trinity, Missing Sid, Witton Wag?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 01:01:48 AM »
Apart from H&V I remember The Villa Bugle, Holy Trinity, Missing Sid, Witton Wag?

There was also Witton Wisdom (the first one), Never Loved Ellis and Ellis Out, which if anyone saw it was the greatest fanzine ever.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 01:08:35 AM »
Ah yes of course, Witton Wisdom, I remember that now you've mentioned it. I don't remember Never Loved Ellis and Ellis Out at all though. Although I do remember saying it on the odd occasion!

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 01:11:36 AM »
Never Loved Ellis lasted for a couple of issues and was edited by Simon Wykes, who tried to get an independent supporters association going as far back as 1991. Ellis Out was incredible. It was hand-written and photo-copied by someone who looked about 14. There was only one issue.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:13:37 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 01:12:25 AM »
I think Martin will be terrific for Sunderland, just terrific.

This season safety.
Next season, 'Martin O'Neill's Sunderland' will spunk a load of money on a variety of over rated players and finish mid table. He'll be hailed as a genius by Pat Murphy.
Season after that he'll walk.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 01:15:57 AM »
Never Loved Ellis lasted for a couple of issues and was edited by Simon Wykes, who tried to get an independent supporters association going as far back as 1991. Ellis Out was incredible. It was hand-written and photo-copied by someone who looked about 14. There was only one issue.

That would probably explain why I missed them then. I do seem to remember that apart from H&V most of others were very sporadic and it was pot luck if you walked past someone selling an issue as that was the only was you knew it was out.

I even remember when you could get H&V from a certain shoe shop in Oasis!

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 01:17:50 AM »
Oh and for Davey as this is a hijacked Sunderland thread, I even remember buying a couple of Sunderland fanzines outside the away end donkeys years ago. Love Supreme and something with Chocolate in the title I think they were called.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 01:22:33 AM »

That would probably explain why I missed them then. I do seem to remember that apart from H&V most of others were very sporadic and it was pot luck if you walked past someone selling an issue as that was the only was you knew it was out.

I even remember when you could get H&V from a certain shoe shop in Oasis!

You could buy it from loads of places in town at one time. They've all closed down now.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 01:34:01 AM »
I'm still mates with the fella who ran Goody Two Shoes (I still avoid using people's real names on the internet!). Met up with him for the Norwich game.
Back in the day i'd meet him at Oasis and go to the game with him. Must admit, half the time I bought the issue from before we left rather than at the ground. I'm sure the first issue I bought was 50p, and now I think about it I definitely remember getting both of the H&V Best Of's from him.

Offline ChrissyPrice

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 01:34:59 AM »
There was also a one-off (I think) fanzine produced by Anti-Fascist Action or Villa fans against racism and fascism. Worthy, but not a lot of humour as I recall.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 01:40:53 AM »
Oh and for Davey as this is a hijacked Sunderland thread, I even remember buying a couple of Sunderland fanzines outside the away end donkeys years ago. Love Supreme and something with Chocolate in the title I think they were called.

Wise Men say had one the funniest things I've read anywhere, about what's the most annoying takeaway anyone else can have on the late bus. It came down to whether you preferred the smell of fish & chips or the chance of being caught in the crossfire when kebab salad tomatoes were thrown around. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 01:48:26 AM »
Catching the last/night bus was rarely dull. Either full of nutters kicking off or nutters having you in hysterics the whole journey. And as you say, nearly everyone had some form of food. I'd hate to have been a the poor fecker who had to clean those buses at the end of the night.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
I have lot of time for Sunderland  football club and their supporters. They are a proper  club and their supporters are great. A couple of my lifelong friends are big Black cats. I have never wished any ill for them. That is until now.... now that they have a man in charge who surrendered in Moscow and walked out on us 5 days before the start of the season.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »
Where did this Black Cats thing come from, I dont remember anyone calling them that when I was growing up.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
The black cats? I remember my friend telling me a very  mixed and I thought contrived story about this especially as he was drunk. From what I remember they voted on this name when they left Roker park. It was either to do with a gun worker from the  gunnery placed on the bank of  the Wear or a chap who took a black cat in his pocket to th 1937 cup final.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal